Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Dr.HeathenFaerie
Registered Users

My Mood:
Need help on med safety while bf

I was just prescribed Zonisamide for my epilepsy. Some sites are saying to go ahead and feed some are saying absolutly not to bf on this medicine I searched Lactmed and it says " Effects in Breastfed Infants:
A patient taking zonisamide 300 mg orally 3 times daily as well as other unspecified antipsychotics was followed at 0, 3, 14 and 30 days postpartum. Her infant exhibited no behavioral problems.[2] " But that was just one patient , searching Dr. Hales site I oonly saw posts from four years ago but they said not to bf.

Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help on med safety while bf

It is rare to find actual studies regarding medication because it is hard to find subjects. What class is the medication for pregnancy? Did you check KellyMom.com? I am a hardcore breatfeeder myself but epilepsy medication is so important for you to take. I know my stepmom did not nurse because her seizure meds are contraindicated. How old is your baby? Did you have any goals for nursing?
Old 09-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Dr.HeathenFaerie
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
It is rare to find actual studies regarding medication because it is hard to find subjects. What class is the medication for pregnancy? Did you check KellyMom.com? I am a hardcore breatfeeder myself but epilepsy medication is so important for you to take. I know my stepmom did not nurse because her seizure meds are contraindicated. How old is your baby? Did you have any goals for nursing?
My baby is due Nov 15th it is a class c for pregnancy, I have been on both Keppra and Nuerontin but had breakthrough seizures and can't drive for 6 months as of the 18th of this month. I want to do child led weaning . It is not listed on Kellymom

ETA: the reason they changed me to this is the breakthrough seizures it seems like the further I get in my pregnancy the worse my epilepsy gets.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
elizrose
Registered Users

If you've been on Dr. Hale's site (infantrisk.com), are you familiar with the free help line that they provide? You can call the number listed on their site between 8am and 5pm central time Mon-Fri and talk to someone who can provide you with the latest info that Dr. Hale has. You don't have to be a doctor to use this awesome resource. I'm guessing that might be the easiest way to find the most reliable current info.
~Elizabeth
elizrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Dr.HeathenFaerie
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizrose View Post
If you've been on Dr. Hale's site (infantrisk.com), are you familiar with the free help line that they provide? You can call the number listed on their site between 8am and 5pm central time Mon-Fri and talk to someone who can provide you with the latest info that Dr. Hale has. You don't have to be a doctor to use this awesome resource. I'm guessing that might be the easiest way to find the most reliable current info.
~Elizabeth
Awesome! Thank you so much. I had no clue you could call them I knew you could search the site but not post unless you're a Dr.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

I've called Infant Risk Center and found them super helpful. Give it a shot!
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote