Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:
help me please :(

This is my last baby, and we're having lots of problems nursing again. He was born at 7.5, 24-hour weight was 7.0, 9 day weight was 7.1, and now at 18 days he's still 7.1, though his head has gotten bigger and he's gained an inch in length.

He was very sleepy at first, but that's better now. I had cracked/scabbed nipples for a week, but they're better now too. He has about 8 wet diapers a day and 4 poopy ones. The poop is greenish yellow and very mucusy, but also seedy and smells mild and sweet like it should. I've been dairy free since my third trimester, and now I'm going gluten, corn, egg, soy, and peanut free too.

My LC isn't sure if his failure to gain weight is a supply issue or a nutrient-absorption issue, I think it might be both, though obviously he is getting milk from me-- just maybe not enough?

I've been on MoreMilkPlus, and the LC started me on LactationBlend, 3 capsules 3 time a day, and vitamin D. She is also having me give him a powdered probiotic 3X a day, and doing a castor-oil belly rub twice a day. I rented a Lactina, and just started pumping after he eats and giving him what I get-- which is about an ounce total.

I'm not sure if I'm helping or hurting with the pumping-- DS wants to nurse ALL day long, so he's never really "done" except for about twice a day when he takes good naps. I know the baby is supposed to be the best pump, but maybe he's so ineffective that he's not? I have to take him off to pump, but I put him right back on afterwards so he can nurse to sleep. We nurse on demand, do skin to skin, he sleeps on me at night. He nurses pretty much constantly during the day, with one or two 1-2 hour naps in there somewhere, then sleeps from 10-2 or 2:30, then 3:00-6:00.

Ugh, I'm trying to be rational and take this one step at a time instead of having an emotional meltdown that I can't seem to get my baby full enough to grow-- I really think we can fix these issues because there's nothing wrong with my breasts... they grew 2 cup sizes during every pregnancy, everything seems fine, and then by 2 weeks my supply is always super low. His skin is clear, he's alert, he lets me KNOW when he's hungry, he doesn't ever fuss as long as he's on the breast... please, if you have any ideas/insight/suggestions let me hear them. I've never made it past 2 1/2 weeks without supplementing, or a month before I quit entirely, and I SO badly want to nurse my baby long-term this time!

Advertisement

Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
marebear08
Registered Users

Re: help me please :(

Sounds similar to what I just went through. According to the lactation consultant, my LO was tongue tied, and had a bad latch. He couldnt properly draw out milk because he couldnt draw my nipple far back enough ... He had his frenulum snipped, and he latches perfectly now. Unfortinately, he now fusses at the breast...not sure why yet. In any case, he doesnt need to be latched all day anymore bc he can actually get full.... IDK that it would be the same with your LO, but its worth looking at.
marebear08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Have you done any pre and post weights to see what he's actually taking in each time?
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
MacMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marebear08 View Post
Sounds similar to what I just went through. According to the lactation consultant, my LO was tongue tied, and had a bad latch. He couldnt properly draw out milk because he couldnt draw my nipple far back enough ... He had his frenulum snipped, and he latches perfectly now. Unfortinately, he now fusses at the breast...not sure why yet. In any case, he doesnt need to be latched all day anymore bc he can actually get full.... IDK that it would be the same with your LO, but its worth looking at.
The LC did say he wasn't quite tongue-tied but it was "short". When I pull his bottom lip I can see his tongue just inside it-- is that where it's supposed to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Have you done any pre and post weights to see what he's actually taking in each time?
We're doing one on Tuesday when the LC comes to my house. I really don't think it's much though-- I do hear swallowing, but most of his nursing session is "suck suck suck swallow", with only a few minutes of it being "suck, swallow".
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
Old 09-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My youngest did the same thing, lost quite a bit after birth then gained really slow for the first few weeks. She seems to be gaining well now, what we did was make sure we woke her at night to eat every 2-3 hours, she was content to sleep for 5-6. And every 2 hours during the day. That seemed to belle a lot, are a couple weeks of that she began waking on her own. And she is gaining slower then average but enough that I am happy about 5 oz a week.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMama

The LC did say he wasn't quite tongue-tied but it was "short". When I pull his bottom lip I can see his tongue just inside it-- is that where it's supposed to be?
It sounds like it could be a type 3 posterior tongue tie. The baby can stick their tongue OUT but cannot elevate or lateralize it. It's not as readily diagnosed because the tongue doesn't present in the traditional heart shape.

I think getting his tongue clipped could be the answer to your BFing issues, and it's possible that's what happened with your other LOs, as well. (It is hereditary/genetic... My DH is tongue tied and so is my FIL. They were both bottle fed so never needed a clip.) It is an easy and relatively painless procedure. We had DS clipped at 9 weeks (that's how long it took to diagnose) and he was nursing like a champ within 2 minutes of being clipped.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
MacMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just read about tongue tie... my nipple totally looks like lipstick when he's done! And I get the sandpaper feeling and he clicks every time I have a letdown. I'm going to have to talk to the LC about it on Tuesday.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Totally sounds like tongue tie.....I'd just get a new IBCLC. I would also join the Facebook group "tongue tie babies support group" and post pics of your baby's mouth
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #9
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also have your thought about a foremilk hind milk imbalance? Since he is nursing so often then maybe he is only getting the watery part and not the hind fatty milk in the back. Like he is eating just enough to satisfy not to get full.

This was happening with dd (she is 2.5 months) and now that she is waiting longer between feedings she is actually hungry when she nurses. Then she nurses longer and gets the hind milk now.
Good luck!
Hang in there mama and please let us know what he LC says on Tuesday.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
MacMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post
Also have your thought about a foremilk hind milk imbalance? Since he is nursing so often then maybe he is only getting the watery part and not the hind fatty milk in the back. Like he is eating just enough to satisfy not to get full.

This was happening with dd (she is 2.5 months) and now that she is waiting longer between feedings she is actually hungry when she nurses. Then she nurses longer and gets the hind milk now.
Good luck!
Hang in there mama and please let us know what he LC says on Tuesday.
I think that's very possible-- and because of him just "snacking" due to sleepiness or possible tongue tie, my supply has tanked already. I started pumping after and between feedings yesterday, 6X at the pump yielded a total of 4 ounces, which I fed to him. Today I've pumped twice so far and got 2 1/2 ounces total, so I'm already seeing an improvement. I'm eating oatmeal and taking lots of supplements, so hopefully that combined with the pumping will get my supply back in a few days. He's been pooping and peeing this whole time, so he's obviously getting *almost* enough from me, just not quite enough to gain weight. Pumping and supplementing 4-6oz a day will hopefully be enough to make the difference.