Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
emily54
Registered Users

blister/open sore on foreskin

my (extremely active, running, jumping, climbing) 13 month old just developed a blister/open sore on his foreskin. The foreskin (but not the whole penis or shaft) is swollen and red. It was fine this morning but now I just changed a poopy diaper and found it. It seems like so fast to develop a open sore like that.

Anyway, I gave him a quick rinse in the tub and used a little mild soap to make sure it was all clean, rinsed the area really good. It is tender, but he was okay with me dabbing a little peroxide on it and a little antibiotic cream. I'm letting him go pant-less, diaper-less right now but its kinda chilly in the house.

Anything else I could do to help it heal faster? I'll let it go bare if he doesn't want me to touch it but so far he is okay with me doctoring it. Its not too bad looking, I just don't want it to get worse and I'd really like to be able to diaper him some time soon so we can go to the store. Idea's on preventing friction in the diaper while its sore? I mean, how do you get gauze or anything to stay on a penis???!

(Its times like this I wish I'd done EC with him! Maybe the next one...)

Advertisement

emily54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
OHIOFIFI
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: blister/open sore on foreskin

put a dab of petroleum jelly on the tip of his penis and then place a 4x4 gauze pad around it - thats what we did when DS was circumsized.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
MaMaToLiam
Registered Users

This has happened to my son before and I did exactly what you did by washing it with soap to make sure its clean, then I put some type of barrier ointment on it like diaper cream with each diaper change to prevent further irritation. It healed in a day or two.
MaMaToLiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
kushie tushie
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOFIFI
put a dab of petroleum jelly on the tip of his penis and then place a 4x4 gauze pad around it - thats what we did when DS was circumsized.
You do not see the tip of the penis with intact boys. The foreskin is fused to the tip till it releases on its own. OP- put petroleum jelly on the blister if you want but do not put it on the tip of his penis.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
kushie tushie
No Longer Here

My Mood:
OP its just a sore of the skin?
Treat it like diaper rash. Keep it dry and put a barrier cream on it before putting a diaper on him.

kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Mrs.Os
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree just a little balm I recommend badger or let it air it should be fine. If it gets worse a dr may want to look at it but these things happen. Happy healing
Mrs.Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
OHIOFIFI
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
You do not see the tip of the penis with intact boys. The foreskin is fused to the tip till it releases on its own. OP- put petroleum jelly on the blister if you want but do not put it on the tip of his penis.

Didn't realize this. I was thinking mainly that the petroleum jelly would work as an anchor for the gauze. Thanks for catching that.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

if it doesn't heal up it could be a staph infection and need a prescription antibiotic cream
Old 09-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
loki
Registered Users

My son gets sores on his foreskin when he eats or drinks something he's allergic to. I treat in like any other rash.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
emily54
Registered Users

Thanks everyone for replying! Sorry I haven't replied, I had some technical difficulties...

It is like a blister that is open in one isolated spot, no other rash around it. Its right in the opening end of the foreskin where it folds in on itself, so it is exposed to urine each time he pee's, diaper or not. It is starting to get better, but not as quickly as I'd hoped. Its scabbed over now but still tender and he doesn't want us to touch it any more. The redness has gone down and it appears to be getting slowly better.

We have let him be without a diaper during the day and he is in a good mood, doesn't act upset unless you mess with it. I'm keeping an eye out for an infection. It makes me really nervous.

I'm sure now that it was a food allergy. We had salmon that day for brunch and dinner. My older son developed symptoms that night and we already know he has a known tuna allergy. Then this little guy not only had the blister on his foreskin but that night also developed a rash on his tummy and eczema on his butt cheeks. BLA, I hate allergies. So far we have: cows milk, goats milk, tuna, and salmon.
emily54 is offline   Reply With Quote