Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
closed; will PM winner this evening

Thank you so much to those who participated. I have already emailed the teacher a couple of the links. I plan on having my son read them as well, as part of his assigned reading (he is required to read 20 minutes a day, and write a report on what he read). This will serve two purposes, the teacher will be forced again to read the material when she checks his homework, and it will help my son understand there is nothing "wrong" with him, that this issue is a national one, and we are advocating for him. I think it will be good for him to have glimmer of understanding of his own learning needs, and how he can speak up if they are not being met.

Thanks to all again, from the bottom of my heart, it will be very, very hard to choose a winner.

This lotto is for 2 diapers. One is a new bum genius pocket diaper with the microfiber inserts it comes with -- one standard, one newborn. It has snaps, and is a sort of aqua color. The other is a new velcro closure Flip. It is kind of reddish, with a hint of orange. It comes with a cotton organic flip insert. The insert has never been used, but has been washed, and has been hanging around my laundry room for probably a year (found it behind the dryer) and picked up a couple of small stains somehow that may wash out.

To enter, first, please be in actual financial need, and these diapers are for your own child. Please pass on when you are done, do not sell. Please have posted on DS in some other area besides FSOT.

Second, bonus points if you can post a link that would help out with this problem. My son is in 4th grade this year. He has always been a high energy child, who is easily bored, very bright, and dislikes sitting still. We have him in sports, and he has plenty of opportunity to ride his bike, etc. after school. He is at grade level in some areas, and exceeding in several others, and has no real academic weakness. He participates in class, and is happy to share what he knows. He has good friends, etc. He is bored in class, which is geared for slower students, and has ants in his pants, and squirms a lot. He does not qualify for the TAG program, we already tried. He tries hard to behave in class, and although not a discipline problem, he is squirmy, and gets distracted when bored. His teacher seems to think there is something wrong with him. I think he is pretty much a standard issue squirmy boy, who is bored, and his teacher just needs to deal with it, and concentrate on his strengths, which are many, and not try to turn him into a mellow girl, which seems to be what she wants. Also, the more effort he puts into trying to sit still, the less effort he has to concentrate on his school work.

So I'd love links to any articles that I can have her read that might help her either deal with my son's butt constantly hovering two inches over his chair squirming around, or give her some ideas for some more positive ways to address the issues instead of complaining on his progress reports every week. I am 100% sure there is absolutely nothing wrong with him, yet that is the message he is getting. He is not talking out of turn, or anything. I mean, how would you like to sit in a class for six hours every day hearing information, 75% of which you already know, none of which interest you and be expected to pay full attention, and not fidget or let your mind wander? He really is making a spectacular effort for her, and she totatlly does not appreciate it. Any link that would get her to think differently and chill out would be hugely helpful! Thanks!

eta: nothing on ADD, or anything, has already been ruled out by family doc, and he is able to be attentive in other situations, like music lessons and martial arts, even with multiple distractions. that is not our problem.

Advertisement

Last edited by Sarai*; 09-28-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Sarai* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
sandra81
Registered Users
seller

Re: bum genius pocket and flip

I would love to enter for this lotto. I don't have an article but it may be very helpful for the teacher to give your son more challenging school work to do if your son is board in class. Also my son has items that he can use to occupy his hands if they are having a discussion which helps keep him from squirming in his chair. Boys have tons of energy and some teachers just don't seem to get that. Also I would consider discussing the issues with the principle if you haven't already because the teacher telling you she thinks there is something wrong with your child when you know there is not and no medical professional has said there is, is very unprofessional IMO. If I come across a good article I will post it here.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
babymakes3.4.5....
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hi mama! I would love to enter the lotto, but I don't have a link to help you out I did however, have a really awesome 3rd grade teacher that helped me out with a similar problem! I was one of those bored-to-tears in school kids and she would have me and a couple other kids work on extra projects centered around some theme, and then we would present them to the class. I specifically remember doing one on sharks! So while the other kids were working on in-class assignments that I had already demonstrated knowledge of, I could go off to one corner of the classroom where I had books and art/craft materials and work on my project. It was one of the best years of school I can remember!
babymakes3.4.5.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
guntersvillebride
Registered Users
seller

I would like to be entered! I don't have an article, but I can relate to your problem. I was that child. My teachers gave me extra work to do in the form of worksheets, flashcards, etc. that I could do if I finished my assignments early. Eventually I was moved to a magnet program, but some activities that he can do (especially if they are fun activities like educational games) would be great to keep him focused and entertained.
guntersvillebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't need the lotto (what a generous one, though!), but I thought I'd suggest replacing his seat at school with a large exercise ball, or putting a exercise band around the front legs of his chair so he can bounce his legs. He could also fiddle with wiki sticks or pipe cleaners in class. A zen sand garden on his desk would help too.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
mypeanut09
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would love to enter. My husband lost his job in July and money is very tight right now. I had to cash in the majority of my 401k to pay bills this month (insurance is evil). I don't have an article, but it sounds like him being bored is a big problem. Is there any way to send him to a school with more options for him or see if your school will let him take some classes (like math and science) with the grade above him? While not hyper, I was bored in school too when I was that age. My school actually let me take math and science with the grade above me so I wouldn't be bored.

I love Kissed by the Moon & I'd love it if you shopped my affiliate link! Feel free to PM me with any questions!

mypeanut09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
clnapoli
Registered Users
seller

http://www.todaysparent.com/habit-hit-list
i found this website doing a quick search, so you may have already seen this. i have an elementary education degree, and as soon as i read about your issue, i immediately thought of keeping something in his hands. i agree with the other poster about wiki sticks or something, maybe even legos.
my family and i have just recently moved to georgia, where my husband is a campus missionary. our budget has suffered, so things have been very tight...one of the reasons i switched to cloth with this baby!
i hope you have lots of success figuring out how to help your son in school! thanks for the great lotto
clnapoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
Diego&Amelia'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Diego´sMom
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama, we recently moved out of the town and It's so hard work only to pay bills and gas, because we bought some, furniture etc, I hope this article help you

http://www.themotherhuddle.com/raisi...-energy-child/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/54...d-10-year-old/
Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
Diego&Amelia'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Diego´sMom
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama, we recently moved out of the town and It's so hard work only to pay bills and gas, because we bought some, furniture etc, I hope this article help you

http://www.themotherhuddle.com/raisi...-energy-child/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/54...d-10-year-old/
Old 09-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More
I don't need the lotto (what a generous one, though!), but I thought I'd suggest replacing his seat at school with a large exercise ball, or putting a exercise band around the front legs of his chair so he can bounce his legs. He could also fiddle with wiki sticks or pipe cleaners in class. A zen sand garden on his desk would help too.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest, some kids are just fidgety and if you give him an appropriate way to get the wiggles out it will help both him and his teacher

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote