Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
My kids rooms...a work in progress

I have SLOWLY been working on the kids rooms. I am to where I feel good about each, even though they both still need serious help. So here they are, what do you think?

DS's room, he is 8 mths old. We are working on peeling the old paint off so we can re paint. The old paint was peeling already so we figure new paint wouldn't stick if what it is on is crappy paint that is peeling. I do a little at a time, when I have time! The roof leaks in here by the window and nees fixing really badly! The ceiling is turning brown and I just noticed mold under the window so that drywall will likely need to be replaced . As you can tell storage is an issue here since there is no closet.

The colored bins on the white shelf are all empty. 4 of the 6 drawers on the dresser are as well. (kids share DD's dresser for now since it is the changing station) The clear bins are holding clothes for both kids that are too big (lack of storage keeps them here) and the black ones are holding Halloween costumes and all the kids extra blankets. The 2 drawer plastic thing is holding diapers and wool we aren't using in one drawer and the bottom drawer is empty. I think I will try to fit the baby gate in dd's closet.

DD's room, she is 2. Her room has a closet so it stores any baby/kid stuff. So games, toys not being loved at the moment, dresses hanging, jackets, shoes, swim stuff, and hats, babylegs, leggings, ect in the black bins.

I have much more issues with her room. Her toy box is half full. The bookshelf is too full. The huge penguin she got yesterday at the fair (thanks grandpa!) She has too many legos but I have a hard time parting with them because I figure you can't have too many when you want to build big things I would love a storage solution for them though...right now we just have 2 random containers holding them all. We are going to be making her room over totally for her 3rd bday...so it will get painted some neutral color (same as DS's because we are planning on moving out soon) and then she will get a twin bed and new bed set and some sort of decorations to hang on the walls. I want her to have a girly room. We didn't know what she was when we painted the room so it is gender neutral.

Advertisement

Last edited by solarbabies; 09-22-2012 at 06:17 PM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: My kids rooms...a work in progress

Looks great - So organised!!! and so much space! Even though you have no closets you have some good storage solutions in place. We dont have closets either and I have similar setups.
It's certainly harder as they get older to keep things simple, my ds room(10 months) is much more minimal than my 2, 3 & 5 yr olds room - it's amazing how much stuff they collect in just the first few years of life.
clothlover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

A closet is such an amazing gift, isn't it? Could you check craigslist for a stand alone closet thing? I got one for $8 from my local goodwill. It's not big, but it'll store messy looking dress up clothes better than a bin would. I love to hide messes when we have to have messes. For the legos, you could try one of those plastic drawer units with or without wheels. This way you could sort by size so you don't have to dig through each bin to find the little pieces. They usually have 6 or so drawers and aren't that deep. Also, you can slightly spiff them up w/ scrapbook paper taped to the inside of the drawers, but I'd be more likely to put a well fitting sheet on it and just pull it up and out of the way when being used.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAMom View Post
A closet is such an amazing gift, isn't it? Could you check craigslist for a stand alone closet thing? I got one for $8 from my local goodwill. It's not big, but it'll store messy looking dress up clothes better than a bin would. I love to hide messes when we have to have messes. For the legos, you could try one of those plastic drawer units with or without wheels. This way you could sort by size so you don't have to dig through each bin to find the little pieces. They usually have 6 or so drawers and aren't that deep. Also, you can slightly spiff them up w/ scrapbook paper taped to the inside of the drawers, but I'd be more likely to put a well fitting sheet on it and just pull it up and out of the way when being used.

Haha, yes closets are awesome and we only have 2 in the entire house and both are small. I need to just find somewhere to put the stuff on that metal shelf and give the metal shelf to DH for his workshop. As for the legos...that would work great for little legos. We have the huge duplo blocks or whatever they are called. They wouldn't work well in one of those.

So if I clear off the metal shelf and store the wool elsewhere I can take out the metal shelf and the black plastic drawers. All that will be in his room is his crib, dresser, and the white bookshelf (that wasn't intended for hos room and may move out too) I am painting a small nightstand for him too. Wow, totally minimalist baby lol
Old 09-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbabies View Post
Haha, yes closets are awesome and we only have 2 in the entire house and both are small. I need to just find somewhere to put the stuff on that metal shelf and give the metal shelf to DH for his workshop. As for the legos...that would work great for little legos. We have the huge duplo blocks or whatever they are called. They wouldn't work well in one of those.
That sucks about the lack of closets in your home. Yeah, I thought you meant the little legos.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote