Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Had first appt...OB mentioned induction...

I had my first appt yesterday. OB did an abdominal ultrasound (I never had an early one before), and baby measured spot on with how far along I am. Doc said i could do a waterbirth in the hospital...he's the only doc in the city that does them.

He did mention induction though, which I'm not completely against this time, but I'm not sure.

Background: I've had two vaginal births without epidurals. First one was 24 hours, and second one was 4 hours. The problem is that I live over 3 hours from the hospital. I have the week off before my due date because it's spring break. So DH and I are planning on staying in the city for that week. I'm due the last day of spring break. OB mentioned using a "balloon" device to try to progress labor if my cervix is ready and i havent gone into labor by the last day. But both of my babies were overdue... The first by 11 days, and the second by a week, so who knows if baby will be ready by 40 weeks. But on the other hand, I dont want baby born on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere (think Death Valley). We'll see how things go, but I do like the OB (I've had midwives in the past).

Advertisement

Last edited by rverrone11; 09-22-2012 at 08:43 PM.
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Had first appt...OB mentioned induction...

You could just wait and see and use natural ways to help ripen cervix like epo.....
Who knows how this pg will end. I was 10 days early with ds and 1 day late with dd
Old 09-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was induced for pre e with dd at 37 weeks. They used the foley bulb for the induction like your OB is talking about. I was barely 1 cm when they placed the bulb and it worked great for me. They fill the bulb with sterile water and then they tapes it to my thigh real tight. Every time I moved it forced a contraction and my labor progressed very quickly from there. I have heard other women say they had the bulb in for like 18-25 hours or so, but for me it took about 4 hours I think and then I was dilated to 5 cm and it falls out. It really got things going and dd was born a couple hours later (though the nurses said I went really quickly and the dr didn't even make it in time to deliver dd because they were expecting me to labor for much longer). I have heard others need pit after the foley bulb to keep labor going but I didn't. Since it is your third, you might have an experience similar to mine. I would guess it depends on if baby is ready. Just thought I would share what the "bulb" is. good luck with your decision. Luckily you still have a while to think it over.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm... was he pushing for induction, or just mentioning it in passing?
It would kinda bother me either way, it's way way too early to be thinking about intervention being necessary! But if he was pushing for it, I'd be running for the door.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
babyWmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Hopefully you have a good enough relationship with your doctor to really talk through your options.

I am a little in your same situation. 3rd child and a little nervous that I will be delivering on the expressway. My first labor was very quick and my second was just an hour and a half.

My doctor and I talked just in passing about maybe breaking my water this time to be in the hospital and to make sure my other kids are taken care of. I would never do anything unless I was at least 3 cm and past my edd. But even then, I said we would talk more about it later. He is the director of minimal invasive options at the hospital, so I know he would not do anything that I did not want to do or that would not be good for the baby. But I have a great relationship him and know that he will do whatever I want to do when the time comes.

Luckily, we have plenty of time to figure it out.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

He wasn't pushing for induction at all. He has the lowest c-section rate in the city (though I'm not sure what it is), and all the homebirth midwives here say he is a great OB. Everyone that I've talked to online about him have loved him (he's all for VBACs, waterbirth, etc...he's even talked the hospital into installing labor tubs in some of the rooms). He was just saying it in passing when I mentioned where we live and how long my last labor was, and I was concerned about giving birth on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. He is all for letting me do what I want, and just mentioned it.

There are no other OBs in the city that even come close to him, and the CNMs can't do waterbirths. He's the only one I can use in the city if I want a waterbirth unless I do a homebirth...but I'd have to do that in a hotel, and I really don't want to do that. BUT, I have heard that a birth center of sorts is supposed to open soon...I'm hoping it will open before April! If that's the case, then I can use a home birth midwife to deliver there!!!,

And yup, we have plen of time, and hopefully won't have to worry about it.

Last edited by rverrone11; 09-23-2012 at 11:04 AM.
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
babyWmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's is funny that even though I know that every labor is so different, I still prepare in my mind for the same thing. Luckily with my second labor I was 6 days past due and I was having light regular contractions most of the night, so I just went to the hospital in the morning and waited there for 3 hours till my labor actually started. I wanted to be as close as possible and so glad I did, because it was as quick as I thought it would be.

I could not imagine being 3 hours away. I have no desire to imagine what that drive will be like and have complete sympathy for you. My drive is only 20 to our house on time so that I make it to the hospital on time.

Absolutely praying that I know that it is coming and that everything just works out like it did last time.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

With DD, I went into labor naturally or with the help of a breastpump after my water broke, at the midwife's instruction. Not sure, we were just trying to avoid pitocin. ETA: actually, I think I went into labor naturally and we tried to speed it up with the breastpump.

In one way, I'm very against inducing. On the other hand, I'm going for a vbac an hour away and I'm scared of being in a car laboring or birthing my baby on the side of the road. With the added fear of my uterus rupturing while we're on our way to the hospital. And THAT puts me on the 'maybe an induction would be a good choice' pathway. If I did decide to do that, I think I'd wait until I was 39+ weeks. DD broke her water on her due date and I know that this baby could come earlier or later, but I hate to evict them before they're ready. That also might be silly, uneducated thinking.

but I completely understand your cunundrum. It's hard, but it's an attractive idea.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's a really tough situation. I'm not sure what I would do in your shoes.

One of the main reasons I'm okay with home birth for me is that we are only 10 mins from 3 hospitals, one with a level 3 NICU. Needing a transfer would be awful if you're that far away.

Hoping for you that the birth center is ready for you! I wish we had one around here.

All that said, there are many natural options to try and jump start labor. You could work on those methods all week during your break.

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I had my membranes stripped and went in to labor exactly 12 hours later. I think you have to be already dilated some though?? I would wait and see how things are looking as it comes closer. I've heard the 3rd baby is a' wildcard' for labor.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote