Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Had first appt...OB mentioned induction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
In one way, I'm very against inducing. On the other hand, I'm going for a vbac an hour away and I'm scared of being in a car laboring or birthing my baby on the side of the road. With the added fear of my uterus rupturing while we're on our way to the hospital.
Being a VBAC, an induction isn't the best way to go, unless you're getting to the end of how long you can, kwim?
With Levi, I told the OB I would go to 42wks, then we would try AROM, and pitocin if needed. But I wanted to give my body as long as I could to do its own thing.
The risk of rupture is really low - 0.1%.

Pitocin is all right, if needed, but cytotec and cervidil are both not okay for induction for VBAC. Both show increased risks of uterine rupture. I have heard a few stories of VBAC inductions with these. Scary.

Advertisement

canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
I had my membranes stripped and went in to labor exactly 12 hours later. I think you have to be already dilated some though?? I would wait and see how things are looking as it comes closer. I've heard the 3rd baby is a' wildcard' for labor.
I had my membranes swept when I was a week late with DD1, and it did nothing the first time, and then had them swept at 41.5 weeks, and I went into labor later that day. You do have to be dilated a bit for that. But my OB said he wouldn't try the balloon method unless I was already dilated some. It seems like the balloon method works in a similar way to having your membranes stripped.

As we were driving home today, I realized that my drive to the hospital could be longer...the first 20 or so miles going out of our town are down a dirt road. Well, that road has been closed twice in the past month...once because of a huge sinkhole, and another because of flash flooding. We also get some crazy dust storms here, and we could get stuck on the road for a while (we had some friends stranded for over 3 hours on the road last year). If the road was closed we would have to take the paved road in the opposite direction, which would add at least 45 minutes to our ride, probably closer to an hour.

Normally I'm completely against any form of induction, but I'll do some research on safe natural methods just in case.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Had first appt...OB mentioned induction...

They don't really quite work the same - the idea with the membrane sweeping (which I have had done and it hasn't ever worked for me, I think it's definitely more of a "your body was right on the cusp of labor anyways" thing) is that the Dr is separating the bag of waters from the uterine wall around the cervix. This is supposed to cause your body to release the hormones to bring on contractions/labor.
With the foley catheter, they would be forcing your cervix to dilate (very slowly, not like huge stretching all at once - ouch!). Once the cervix dilates enough for the bulb to fall out (usually around 5cm) your body may have started laboring on its own, or they would need to start pitocin to get labor started.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers
I think it's definitely more of a "your body was right on the cusp of labor anyways" thing).
I believe this 100%