Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

How soon would one get symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy?

I'm about 4 weeks 3 days with #5. A day or so ago I stood up from the couch (rather quickly) and felt a really sharp pain in the right side on my uterus area. It hurt so bad I had to sit down until it went away and then I got up really slowly and I was fine.

A couple times since then I feel slight pain on that same side. Nothing major, but more than just the usual stretching out feelings I get at the beginning of pregnancy. Of course I'm paranoid now about an ectopic pregnancy. How soon would symptoms show up? I don't have an appt with my MW for another 4 weeks.

Advertisement

DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
Formerly: **le3*
seller
seller

Re: How soon would one get symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy?

I can't speak from personal experience, but here's an article about ectopic pregnancies. According to it, you might not be far enough along yet to actually feel any symptoms.

http://www.babycenter.ca/pregnancy/c...tions/ectopic/

It could just be nerves, especially if you've been thinking/reading a lot about them lately. Remember every pregnancy is different, so what you're feeling may be completely normal. Or maybe you just pulled a muscle? If it gets worse or you still have a nagging feeling, I'd go get checked out. Better safe than sorry! *hugs*

Like Swagbucks? Give Gifthulk a try!

Last edited by Vie.en.Rose; 09-22-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Vie.en.Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really can't say how soon symptoms show up, but if you are concerned and in pain, why not schedule an early appt or at least voice your concerns to your MW? Better safe than sorry and I wouldn't wish what I went through on anyone!

I didn't have slight pain initially with my ectopic, I just knew something was off. My stomach was really poochy even though I could have only been a few weeks or so (less than 6? maybe 8?) I was also having some weird spotting--not quite a period, but enough to need a pad. We had just gotten back from a vacation when I woke up the next morning in extreme pain. Went to the ER and my regular OB happened to be on call and did a laparoscopic surgery that day. My poochy stomach was from blood and fluid pooling in my uterus. I'll spare you the other details.

Not trying to scare you and I sincerely hope it is nothing, but I would at least ask.

Last edited by marvelous; 09-22-2012 at 10:25 PM.
marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Every pregnancy is different but I would mention it to your doc and see if they can get you in sooner. That being said I had tugging or pain on one side and then a week later the other side. Remember all your organs are moving around, it would also be a pinch in your bowel which is very common and will pass. Either way it is better to be safe then sorry!
Old 09-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post
Every pregnancy is different but I would mention it to your doc and see if they can get you in sooner. That being said I had tugging or pain on one side and then a week later the other side. Remember all your organs are moving around, it would also be a pinch in your bowel which is very common and will pass. Either way it is better to be safe then sorry!
So you had an ectopic, and when you did, you had pain on one side, then pain on the other side a week later? Was this before or after it had ruptured?
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
calleiah
Registered Users
seller

Not sure about the ectopic part, but I had the same thing happen pain wise when I was about 4-5 weeks. After that, I still had some sensitivity and pain on that side, but baby is properly placed and growing great (19 weeks now). This is my 4th. I think I just tweeked a muscle or ligament in there by moving too fast. Still worth mentioning and looking into, but can be totally normal.
calleiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
leyash
Registered Users
seller

I, too, have had pain on both sides, primarily the right. No weird bleeding or horrible pain, though. Just little twinges. Have been told it's normal, but am 7 weeks, and have yet to make sure the baby is placed properly. Will do that this Wednesday.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

You are too soon. Most ectopic pregnancies are found at 6-8 weeks, sometimes later depending on where in the tube they are. They couldn't even tell you for sure where the sac is at this point.

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

When I mentioned the pain I had experienced that was a normal pregnancy. My point was you can have all sorts of odd pains in early pregnancy but that does not always mean doomsday.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I'm about 4 weeks 3 days with #5. A day or so ago I stood up from the couch (rather quickly) and felt a really sharp pain in the right side on my uterus area. It hurt so bad I had to sit down until it went away and then I got up really slowly and I was fine.
That is really, really typical round ligament pain. I'm not saying you do or don't have an ectopic (I am not a licensed medical professional), but what you described is exactly what round ligament pain is.