Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
krispy79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Plant based diet

Our family is moving toward a plant based diet. We haven't decided to go vegan but we want to move into a vegetarian diet and do not use milk. Any recipes or ideas to help us achieve this goal would be great. We live in Thailand so we have lots fresh markets (stands/stalls) around use, but limited US produce and foods so the more asian or mediteranian the better.
Some things that are already a staple in our diet include: pineapplle fried rice, gnocchi, lentil tacos, veg based soups, and tofu stir fry.
Thanks

Sent from my (not so)Smartphone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Plant based diet

Herbavoracious has a lot of Asian recipes. Some of his other recipes to have dairy but you can work around that sometimes. I have loved everything I have made from his site.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is a current favorite

http://veggieconverter.com/2011/10/p...et-recipe.html

I use firm tofu instead of the setian, I let it sit over night in a towel, then marinate it in soy sauce before baking, then I add it to the recipe when I add the green onions.

I also make a super simple noodle chow mein thing, with noodles, vegetables, soy sauce, sesame oil, dry sherry or rice wine, and noodles.

You can also do potato tacos as well.

There are lots of ways to switch recipes, but understand having to switch to local ingredients, I have had to do that quite a bit myself.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
MomMe3
Registered Users

Finding Vegan is a great place to look for plant-based recipes. I also like Veggie Kids for kiddie-centered plant-based meal/snack ideas.
MomMe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

My two favorites: happy herbivore and daily garnish. Try Emily's (daily garnish) blackened tofu on top of fresh greens with dressing. Beats chicken salad any day.

I have two of the happy herbivore cookbooks, she just came out with another. I follow them both on Facebook.

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you subscribe to Vegetarian Times online (for free emails, not the magazine sub) they will send you emails with good recipes. If you have FB they post good recipes on there too like a link to this Pinterest board full of soup recipes! I made the Garlic Kale soup yesterday and my toddler ate two bowls.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
MissyMia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All of my families meals are made from one of 4 cookbooks. They are Vegan on the Cheap, Chloe's Kitchen, Everyday Happy Herbivore, and The Vegan Table. I really like the first book because it does not rely on a lot of weird store bought stuff. Most of it is fresh and easy to find ingredients. My kids are enjoy most of the stuff I make, no less then before we made the change. Actually my almost 2 year old loves the new meals because she never seemed to take to the texture of meat.

I am about 95% vegan and my kids are vegetarian. My dh only eats meat away from the house at family parties, mostly out of habit and because he doesn't want people questioning his diet. At home he is fine with my cooking and says he likes all the new dishes.

Mine and my kids favorite dish is a Southwestern Black Bean and corn chowder which we crumble organic blue corn chips into. Soooo good.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
ColbyCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: naperica
seller
seller

My Mood:

We enjoy http://fatfreevegan.com/ as well as many of the others in the PPs. Plant based is the way to go! Congrats!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
krispy79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyMia
All of my families meals are made from one of 4 cookbooks. They are Vegan on the Cheap, Chloe's Kitchen, Everyday Happy Herbivore, and The Vegan Table. I really like the first book because it does not rely on a lot of weird store bought stuff. Most of it is fresh and easy to find ingredients. My kids are enjoy most of the stuff I make, no less then before we made the change. Actually my almost 2 year old loves the new meals because she never seemed to take to the texture of meat.

I am about 95% vegan and my kids are vegetarian. My dh only eats meat away from the house at family parties, mostly out of habit and because he doesn't want people questioning his diet. At home he is fine with my cooking and says he likes all the new dishes.

Mine and my kids favorite dish is a Southwestern Black Bean and corn chowder which we crumble organic blue corn chips into. Soooo good.
I will definately have to check out that book. I dont have access to all the alternatives available in the US (IE: meatless nuggets, veggie burgers, or other premade just like meat producrs) so anything that use mostly fresh ingredients will be best.
Me and the kids have done vegetarian all week, and I think in the end my family will end up similar to yours. We have always called dd my veg baby because she dislikes meat (except breakfast sausages) so she is adjusting just fine. Ds seems to like everything so far, but hes a really good eater.
Thanks everyone. I think plant based is definately for me, and dh is willing to give it a whole hearted shot.

Sent from my (not so)Smartphone using DS Forum

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
angelika13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My blog, in my sig, is all vegetarian.