Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

homeschooling/science books

I have like five boxes of homeschooling/science/math/activity books. Most of them are filling up a six foot book shelf, a couple of boxes in my closet. Most of them are third grade and up. A lot of high school stuff. Should I be keeping this stuff or should I give it away? Will it even be relevant? I am going to be a k-3 teacher. My DS is only 6 months old, and as of right now I don't intend to homeschool. I don't want to get rid of it if I will be able to use it, but it is already older stuff, is it worth keeping?

Advertisement

adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
hibiscus869
Registered Users

My guess is that by the time you want to use it there would be new additions of those books and you might want the newer addition. I'd check on Amazon's book trade in program and see of you could get some money for them. If not, well then I'd donate them to the library for a tax deduction.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: homeschooling/science books

If you know there are a few special worksheets that you would be able to use in teaching you could always make a copy of the worksheet and then get rid of the actual workbook. I would personally donate them.
babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

Any ideas where to donate? My local library said they are not accepting donations. I think I am going to get rid of all of them. I am pretty good at desktop publishing, so if there is ever a worksheet I couldn't find online, I could just make it.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjroberts View Post
I have like five boxes of homeschooling/science/math/activity books. Most of them are filling up a six foot book shelf, a couple of boxes in my closet. Most of them are third grade and up. A lot of high school stuff. Should I be keeping this stuff or should I give it away? Will it even be relevant? I am going to be a k-3 teacher. My DS is only 6 months old, and as of right now I don't intend to homeschool. I don't want to get rid of it if I will be able to use it, but it is already older stuff, is it worth keeping?
Let it go.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
littlehands
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Let it go. I would sell it, however. Check out homeschoolclassifieds.com. I've had good luck there selling things that we're no longer using.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks! I got rid of two boxes of books yesterday, and still have more to go through! Now I have room on the bookshelf for my huge library of children's books :/
Old 10-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Congrats on donating some of your books. Its the thing I struggle with most. Although I can't decide if I even want to be able to get rid of books lol

Sent from my droid
Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lol I know. I hate getting rid of books.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Freecycle. I have recieved and given away many resources like that there. Most libraries and used book stores will not take old texts and older reference books, but homeschooling families will.