Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What features do you wish your house had?

I'd love a family room and one more bedroom. DH needs a larger garage. Otherwise, I love our house.

Advertisement

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
flufflovinmama
Registered Users

I really do love our house. It isn't too big, and there are not many things that need to be changed. I would have a more open kitchen, since ours is galley style. A double oven would be a must! I would also choose a laundry room instead of a laundry closet. Fun thread!
flufflovinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:17 AM   #13
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

While I love our house and the beautiful old details... I would change a lot! haha

Biggest thing: I'd love if it was all on one level. I always envisioned living in a house with a staircase and two stories. But that's overrated. We spend most of the day on the first floor of our house. It's hard going upstairs to go to the bathroom, do laundry (we have 2nd floor laundry), get ready, etc. with two little kids. Heck, even when I just had my son it was difficult. I would love if everything was easily accessible and on one floor.

I wish our floors weren't so creaky and squeaky! I looooove our old hardwood floors, they are beautiful and give our house so much character. But they have woken my son up too many times to count, and he's a difficult sleeper as it is. Very annoying.

I'd LOVE a playroom. So jealous of those with a nice big room JUST for the kids. We have a nice little play area and are fortunate to have a large living room, but I'd love a whole room that we could make super kid friendly.

A garage! And a finished basement.

And a backyard that was mostly flat, mostly grass, and with a nice privacy fence all around. We have an overly landscaped backyard with a ton of rocks. It looked all pretty when we bought the house (before we had kids), but it's kind of annoying with little kids. And takes way too much maintenance (especially when my husband sucks at keeping up with even the basics).

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:06 AM   #14
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycat42 View Post
If you could change something about your home what would you change?

Our house is too small. I would love more space. Right now we have 2 beds and 1 bath in 800sq ft.
I want 1 bedroom for my daughter so she can have her own room.
A Master suite where we can have a space for sewing , an office, and a place for Dh's hobbies with an off-the-wall-bed to use when we have guests. I want it to be a master suite because I like when guests have their own bathrooms to use.
I like how our room is small I don't see the point to having a super big room when it's only used for sleeping.
I would like an extra family room to use for a playroom for the kids.
I would love to have a walk-in pantry with one side for food and paper products and the other side to store things like holiday decorations and other out of season things in nice clear tubs.
I would like a hallway long enough to have bookshelves going down it on one side.
I would like the room the the kids are in right now to be smaller and to be just for the boys.
I would love it if the carport was a garage or it the laundry was a just a bit bigger and insulated so I could put the extra freezer some where other than next to my kitchen table.

If I could build a dream home it would have 4 bedrooms, 2 small ones, 1 medium one and a good sized master suite(just like I described above) The only room to have a closet would be the master. There would be a huge laundry room family closet.
The kitchen would have stove, dishwasher, fridge. The lower cabinets would be big deep drawers for cookware and a tall pantry cabinet to store appliances. There would be no upper cabinets maybe a shelf or two for dishes. But their would be lots of windows. There would be a island for prep work. I want there to be a comfy seating area to hang out and chat while cooking.
There would be a living room/TV room just for sitting watch TV and the TV could be hidden when we don't want to see it.
There would be a big den with comfy couches and lots of toys this would be our messy hangout room.
It would be nice to have an outdoor sitting area.
It would have a connected 2 car garage with a work shop area.

What would you like to have?
You know, I used to want all those things. Then I started minimizing and focusing on what was really important to me (time with my family, environmental stewardship, connection to nature, etc) and realized that all those extra rooms were just that... extra. Kind of like buying a bunch of pretty containers to store your stuff in instead of purging the things you don't need, kwim?

Now we love our house (that was supposed to be a starter house) and don't plan on leaving or changing anything. In fact now we have too many rooms, lol. The one thing we would love is a bigger yard, but we'd never be able to afford acreage in this area so we've let that go
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
Skatha89
Registered Users

Considering I currently live in a 600sq ft apartment... If we were to build/own a house I'd love:

4 bedrooms (1 master, 1 for each boy, and a guest) and 3 bathrooms (Master, with a spa tub and big shower, 1 conjoining bathroom connecting the boy's rooms and a guest bathroom)
A open living room/dining room/kitchen (with a decent amount of counter space, so I can prep meals easier and a indoor grill pan with ventilation)
A completely finished basement (separated into 2 parts: Playroom, Office/Man cave)
A big backyard with an in ground pool/hot tub and lots of grass/trees/room to garden
Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #16
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

More space, bigger living area, better air con, larger windows, more built in storage/cupboards, larger kitchen with stone benchtops instead of laminate, more yard space. Much bigger dedicated laundry (right now it's a FL shoved in between a sink and a shower with no shelves, benches anything) and I have to do washing for 10+ people there!!
Hardfloors all the way through with no carpet.
aah to dream

A room for each of the kids would be nice but there aren't many 9 bedroom homes around here lol and they'd probably just fill up with crap so maybe its a be careful what you wish for thing?

Last edited by clothlover8; 09-26-2012 at 08:06 PM.
clothlover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #17
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

An eat in kitchen or a dining room not picky though. Currently we have neither. A pantry or more cabinets. Lose the silly cabinets in the bedrooms and increase the closet space. A toilet we don't have to sit side ways on. An older woman owned the house prior to our land lord. She remodeled. I am not sure why she forgot to leave enough room in the one and only bathroom to properly place the stinking toilet. Not even my skinny 9 year old can sit properly on that toilet. it faces the side of the sink. To sit properly your knees would have to go under the sink.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #18
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Big dream: Greenhouse
Little dream: Kitchen faucet tall enough to fill my pots and spray the entire sink.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #19
daenikoffre
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish our home [we rent] had LESS built-ins so that we could instead have taller bookshelves to take advantage of the vertical space, especially with these high ceilings. Homes look so much bigger when they are empty! We didn't notice the lack of wall space before we moved in. Oops!
daenikoffre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #20
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

A garden.

I also wish we had a decent patio and that it was off the living room.

A bigger kitchen so our meals were not in the living room

Bigger kids room

Room for our washer and dryer in the flat

Ground level entry not 3 flights of stairs

oh and a nice shaped hall where we could actually put up some coat racks ect

I would be delighted to have closets again, germans dont have closets built in

a linen closet would be lovely too