Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Lightbulb Anyone growing veggies in thehouse this year?

This will be my first year trying! I've done tons of research, but still don't feel ready. Is anyone elese giveing it a go. Ray soooo wants fresh tomatoes during winter for sandwiches, his fav. I'm planning on rutgers and white tomosol.

What are you doing? Anyone wanna give it a shot?

Here is a good link I found on tomatoes.
http://www.jasons-indoor-guide-to-or...-tomatoes.html

I found my local sunset and rise calender for the year in our hunting/trapping guide. Found at the sporting goods section of most stores. Looks like we will get 12 aprox hrs of light and dark most of the time o flowering shouldn't be a problem for us.

Any good info or links would be great!

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone growing veggies in thehouse this year?

interesting...i was just thinking about the possibility of doing this. i have an awesome grow light set up in my basement that i use for starting seeds. i don't know about tomatoes, but i was thinking like salad greens. maybe radishes? i dunno. i've tried growing a tomato plant inside before by just setting it by a sunny window, but i never got enough sun for them to do anything. they grew, but were leggy and sickly and never flowered. we don't get much sun in the winter though, so i'm thinking that might also influence it. but hence my thought to do it all under the grow lights. i just need a big enough container.

have you ever heard of/know anything about hydroponics? i saw something on a garden forum about it earlier, and it's supposed to be a good method for growing stuff inside. i don't know anything about it though. might be interesting to figure out

and btw, may i just say how much i love coming in this forum and find people thinking about these same things as me? my husband is going to think i'm nuts when i suggest growing lettuce in our basement in january. the rest of my family is already convinced of it

Last edited by Liadan23; 09-21-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I remember your basment, you talked a bit about it a while back I think. It should be just awsome for it! Here is a link, tell me what ya think. There is even a homemade system with a rubbermaide bin, lid, and the aquarium bubbler syatem. Cheap. Should be cool!

http://www.jasons-indoor-guide-to-or...g-systems.html
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 09-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I tried last year with tomatoes, but they got bacterial wilt. Could have been a freak thing. I may try again this year. I read a long time ago a blog of a person doing this. He said that the smaller-fruited varieties do best. I think I may take a cutting of my "german lunchbox" and see if it lives. If not no big deal.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I *may* attempt it this year. i still have some plants that are producing (peppers and bell peppers) that are in pots on my grill I may move them inside and give them a shot there as well and let them live for as long as possible
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Well poop, the blight on my tomatoes has spread to all of them so any cutting I take will likely be carrying the disease. I don't feel like sprouting them and waiting (feeling kinda lazy about the whole thing LOL) so I think I'm out.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I potted a cpl plants yesterday. Now to see about sprouting some seeds. I think I'll give rooting a clipping from my rutgers.

Liz-Sorry about the blight.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
drabekgirl
Registered Users

I've tried spinach in Dec in my basement in a the window and it worked out one year. And the tomato plant my sister had that year also kept producing until Dec (she can only do tomatoes in pots as her soil gives her plants blossom end rot).

Last year I put in spinach and lettuce in Sept. and the spinach never sprouted and the lettuce was so wispy it was not usable. I used a full spectrum light to give them light.

Radishes in BIL container gardens this year did not do well at all, even though they had a deep enough box (12in) they were long instead of circular.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's really interesting about the radishes.

I planted the other tomatoes today. Dang, forgot to get a clipping of the rutgers.
My soil super stinks! To boost it up, I mixed with pot-ask, compost, and a little soil from the bottom of the chicken pen. Should be an excelent starter. With my luck this year though, who know. LOL!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just planted 3 tomato plants and basil for our winter indoor garden. I've done it before and small (cherry/grape) variety do great for us!
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote