Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
jamiejo
Registered Users
seller

Skipping ahead?

My 1st grade son, is lightyears ahead of where we are in Saxon math and phonics 1. BUT, there are basic concepts being introduced.... I'm trying to cover lessons more quickly, but has anyone ever actually skipped? I know how saxon works, it's so repetitive.... should I just skim through concepts? He's bored with it, and we're behind in the books on these subjects BECAUSE he's bored. WWYD?

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Re: Skipping ahead?

If he's bored because you're doing stuff he already knows I would skip. Pick one or two activities for each concept he needs for the foundation, make sure he's clear on them, and move on to what's next
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
NYAmy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm currently using saxon math with my sixth grader. he's a very strong math student with 'holes' so I skim ahead and we've skipped quite a few lessons. because of the amount of spiral review saxon builds in, I don't worry about it.
what I love about saxon (at least the middle school curricula) is that they let you know which lesson each question is from. so you can look for patterns in the mistakes and know when you need to go back and solidify a concept.
NYAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

I don't have much experience teaching Saxon, but I skipped the latter half of fifth and the entirety of sixth as a student, and went right into seventh and was very comfortably challenged. I had disliked math, but the monotony and drudgery lifted as soon as I had to work harder and then I rather enjoyed it. You could always go back if you felt like you had to. But like the above poster said, you will be able to tell if he has weak areas and you can tailor his lessons accordingly. Good luck!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Candy Lee
Registered Users
seller

We are using both of those, too, and we have skipped quite a bit. My son knew most of it, and he would've been bored if we had gone through it all. I have already bought Saxon Math 1 and Phonics 1 for him to begin soon.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can you give him chapter tests/review until he gets to parts that he doesn't know?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Before I skipped it entirely, I would want to make sure he gets the basic foundation of it. My son can do a lot of math even though he hasn't been formally taught. I teach them quickly to make sure he doesn't end up missing the foundational element and then move ahead quickly.

I'd do the same for phonics. But, that's just me. I'm still only in my second year of homeschooling (1st grader) and don't quite have enough confidence in my knowledge of what he needs to know to feel comfortable completely skipping something unless I KNOW he knows the lesson.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
jamiejo
Registered Users
seller

Thanks all. he went to kindy in PS and had an amazing teacher. I didnt really believe him when he said they were already doing 1st grade work, but indeed they WERE!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would probably do the 4-5 questions in the lesson practice orally just to make sure that he knew what he was doing and then move on. Maybe do the practice on every 4-5 lessons, but that would be up to you. With my kids, if they got used to not doing much in the way of written work, it would be a serious battle when they had to start again.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote