Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #111
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling check-in

heather that is awsome!

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #112
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another day of homeschooling done and we did what was scheduled.
I have glucouse test tomorrow so that will throw off the schedule. I'm going to print some activities for children to do (worksheets) at the office.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #113
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Welcome to all the newbies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus869 View Post
Hello, I'm new here (to this forum anyway). We aren't 100% homeschooling but my DS comes home early at the end of the day to do math (I dislike the math system they're using at the school). He goes to a very flexible charter school so we're able to do this.
I don't know anything about Saxon, but it sounds like you have that all figured out now anyway. I just wanted to say that it is awesome that you can bring him home early for math!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel nee nee View Post
Another day of homeschooling done and we did what was scheduled.
I have glucouse test tomorrow so that will throw off the schedule. I'm going to print some activities for children to do (worksheets) at the office.
Ugh. I hate the glucouse testing with passion. 2 out of 3 times I've got a positive on the first test and had to go back to do the second fasting test. And then my numbers were super low and they were like "we don't even know why you're here!" Awesome. Let me go home!

Heather--That's awesome that you got in a whole day of school and are feeling better about things. Can I ask which singapore you ended up ordering? I think it might have been buried in this thread somewhere, but I didn't find it. I'm also hoping for a quick and easy delivery for you, and that maybe you'll go into labor soon! Waiting is so hard.

As for us...it's a good thing I had no time at all to update yesterday because the chaos of the day made me a total crab. We did some homeschooling in the morning but it didn't go that well. Keegan was having one of his off days in reading which he seems to have every couple weeks or so and it's super frustrating. Kennah was also having an off day which she does every now and then where she won't use her right side as much and tends to regress in other areas as well. The kids were all kind of whiney and not really with it. The goats found somewhere in the fence to squeeze through so I kept having to mess with that. A lady from church has a truckdriver husband that was in a really bad accident (he's in ICU--be praying. He's also not a believer), so I was on the phone a lot of the day. I had several church errands to run, we went to Kennah's gymnastics then skipped Rachel's gymnastics so we could pick up DH and go the hospital....it was a long day that made for cranky tired children and a cranky tired Mama.

Today is going better so far. We got home from the hospital late so I was hoping they woud sleep in but they very rarely ever will. So they got up bright and early and have been a bit draggy, but they aren't as cranky as yeseterday. Crossing my fingers that maybe they would all take a nap! Homeschooling went okay for what we have done so far this morning. Keegan's doing better in his reading today. Kennah is still not doing great today--she's not homeschooling but of course tends to get in the way! She usually takes a few days after a regression to get back in the swing of things--especially if she is not getting enough sleep. I hoping to fit in some more homeschooling later but we'll see how it goes--we're going to take it lightly today.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #114
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jen - I'm using the US edition. I'm wondering if we should switch to the Standards, but for now we are using the US. He's using 1a and 1b. I haven't been able to totally look over and decide yet, but we'll be skipping through a lot of the 1a. But, I'm going to review things too. I want to make sure he got a good foundation and he doesn't have any gaps in his knowledge before moving on.

Sorry yesterday was such a rough day. And, sorry to hear about your friends husband. I'll say a prayer for him. I'm glad today has started out better.

AFM - My day has been very rough so far. First off, I had a bad OB appt yesterday. My BP is up, too much up. They are talking induction. I'm supposed to be on modified bed rest today. My kids...rather my 2 year olds are really out of control today. They can be rambunctious and definitely cause issues, but for some reason today they are just insane. So far, they have broken my vertical blinds on my sliding glass door in my eat-in-kitchen, thrown a lamp down my stairs breaking it and the bulb (somewhat my fault, but they reached over a gate and pushed it down on purpose. It was sitting there waiting to be taken down to the basement. I knew I shouldn't have put it there, but I really didn't think anyone would purposely reach over the gate and push it over before I got a chance to take it down. Silly me. My husband left it on the couch last night after switching it out in our main level office. ), pulled all of the linens out of my linen closet and gotten up to the shelf with the bandages and lotions and such (which is too high for them to reach, still not exactly sure how they did it) and squirted Sarna Lotion (anti-itch cream) all over the towels and sheets. And those are just the big things.

No school as of yet. We may do some this afternoon while the toddlers are napping, but really, I need to pick up the linens and rest. I also need to make sure everything is done because I may be having a baby tomorrow if my BP is super high again.

Sorry to be a downer and I'm not really even talking about homeschooling. But, I guess all this indirectly affects our homeschooling. *sigh*

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 10-03-2012 at 10:40 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #115
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Yay Heather, that's awesome!!

We had dentist appointments this morning so we haven't done anything. The kids are tired and crabby from getting up at 6:30 this morning we are NOT early morning people! So they are watching a leap frog while lunch cooks. I think we'll just take it easy this afternoon. I have cleaning to do. If the kids are still acting tired after they eat we'll have naps, if not we'll go to the park. They have some extra energy after sitting in a waiting room all morning
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #116
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

I am really happy with the activity box T and I are using now! He really enjoys going to today's tab and pulling out the cards to choose an activity to do with me. I even blogged on how I made it. Yesterday we only managed two things then I had to call a sick day for myself and let him play Starfall (media time is usually on weekends). Today though we have done quite a bit. I think so far his highlight was our leaf hunt outside, although he enjoyed the book "Red Leaf Yellow Leaf" quite a bit too. We did have a flop book wise for the first time in a long time with a Tasha Tudor book. He won't let me finish it. Totally uninterested. Oh we'll, guess it goes back to the library!

Snorris, I have a question about MFW k! The unit D is for Dinosaur specifically. What sort of hands on activities does it involve? We are involved in a once a week class day with other homeschoolers. Their PreK class uses MFW K and HWOT supposedly. If we stay with the group T will be in that class next year, so I'm particularly interested.
Monday when I helped out in the PreK class the teacher provided lots of internet printed worksheets and had them color a pre-cut picture of a dinosaur which they glued on a stick as the hands on art dinosaur project. I thought based on the samples I saw on the MFW site their K curriculum is more hands on than that? HWOT too; for fine motor they spent a 40 minute period tracing worksheets. Of course I had to leave for a dr appointment so I didn't see their story and language period, so I know I'm missing a piece of the day seeing how they use MFW K.

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #117
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Jen - I'm using the US edition. I'm wondering if we should switch to the Standards, but for now we are using the US. He's using 1a and 1b. I haven't been able to totally look over and decide yet, but we'll be skipping through a lot of the 1a. But, I'm going to review things too. I want to make sure he got a good foundation and he doesn't have any gaps in his knowledge before moving on.

Sorry yesterday was such a rough day. And, sorry to hear about your friends husband. I'll say a prayer for him. I'm glad today has started out better.

AFM - My day has been very rough so far. First off, I had a bad OB appt yesterday. My BP is up, too much up. They are talking induction. I'm supposed to be on modified bed rest today. My kids...rather my 2 year olds are really out of control today. They can be rambunctious and definitely cause issues, but for some reason today they are just insane. So far, they have broken my vertical blinds on my sliding glass door in my eat-in-kitchen, thrown a lamp down my stairs breaking it and the bulb (somewhat my fault, but they reached over a gate and pushed it down on purpose. It was sitting there waiting to be taken down to the basement. I knew I shouldn't have put it there, but I really didn't think anyone would purposely reach over the gate and push it over before I got a chance to take it down. Silly me. My husband left it on the couch last night after switching it out in our main level office. ), pulled all of the linens out of my linen closet and gotten up to the shelf with the bandages and lotions and such (which is too high for them to reach, still not exactly sure how they did it) and squirted Sarna Lotion (anti-itch cream) all over the towels and sheets. And those are just the big things.

No school as of yet. We may do some this afternoon while the toddlers are napping, but really, I need to pick up the linens and rest. I also need to make sure everything is done because I may be having a baby tomorrow if my BP is super high again.

Sorry to be a downer and I'm not really even talking about homeschooling. But, I guess all this indirectly affects our homeschooling. *sigh*
I'm soo sorry. As someone that has many 2 & under during the day, I can totally sympathize. How are they able to tear up some of the things the do? I hope the rest of the day improves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
Yay Heather, that's awesome!!
We had dentist appointments this morning so we haven't done anything. The kids are tired and crabby from getting up at 6:30 this morning we are NOT early morning people! So they are watching a leap frog while lunch cooks. I think we'll just take it easy this afternoon. I have cleaning to do. If the kids are still acting tired after they eat we'll have naps, if not we'll go to the park. They have some extra energy after sitting in a waiting room all morning
This cracked me up. I'm sure you posted at nearly the same time. It's the little things that get me.

AFM: We haven't done a lot yet. Last night, DD1 broke the screen on her ipod touch. She had it for 6 days. She's been saving forever and we finally made up the difference as a birthday present. She is destroyed. She was awake most of the night crying. So, she didn't get up until 11 this morning. I've been online looking for recs for a local place to fix it for her. Now I hope someone else gives her money for her birthday so she'll have enough to get it fixed. I feel really bad for her, b/c it was a fluke-she wasn't being irresponsible or anything like that.

DD2 got up bright and early with grand plans of knocking her work out right away and then got distracted. Hopefully we'll do better this afternoon.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #118
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh Heather, it seems kids always know when you should be taking it easy or are sick. They may just be feeling the "difference" in the air. I hope you can get some rest and get your BP down. I was so glad to hear you had a good school day before, maybe you can squeeze in some nice reading in bed (everyone read mommy a story).

Jen, I am sorry to hear about your friend's husband and hope today goes better. Tired crabby kids are never a pleasure to work with. I wish my boys would settle in for an afternoon nap.

Rain, It sounds like everyone has appts going on. My guys are always kind of cranky after dentist appts, even if nothing really happened. I'm trying to learn to go with the flow and remember that playing can be educational too.

Nee Nee, I know you asked a few posts ago about Lesson pathways and I haven't had a chance to answer yet because I haven't been on. I use Lesson Pathways for history primarily (I have it set for science too but haven't really used it) but I don't really plan it. I am a horrid planner. I log on usually Friday and make sure I have enough materials to do a couple of the hands on activities and then just plan to go with it from there. We do school work M-Thurs most weeks barring appts or major meltdowns. I read the lessons to the kids, read most of the background info stuff and then let them play the games and try to do one or two of the hands on activities. I encourage the boys to do more in depth research if they are interested in the topic or if I feel they should (I try to encourage research for Kearnan, Tharen is a bit young). We also read books that might relate like Celtic Fairy Tales or King Arthur during literature time. So far this has worked well for me. Sometimes I get distracted and a week long pathway turns into a several week research expedition (I'm history obsessed) because there are areas of history that I am just far more interested in and feel that the kids need more background in. I think the kids wish I planned more so things like that didn't happen. Honestly they probably still would.

AFM, I have been off for a few days cause lots of stuff has been going on. We don't usually do school work on Fridays or at least have light work days. The last two weeks have been pretty crazy with Tharen being hyper manic and our TKD school moving so our schedule has been a bit off. Friday we had an appt with Tharen's doctor and changed meds again. So far no real change but since he has to wean off of the old medication and onto the new one we probably won't see anything for quite a while. We have seen a decrease in manic symptoms, unfortunately that just means he switched to combative. We don't do school on the weekends either so nothing then. Monday I had an appt so no school then either. It isn't a huge deal really. Tuesday we got back to work and things have been really normal for Kearnan. Tharen went back to "I don't want to do school work" but actually did it quite well. He worked with Nimby on "watch me" and "sit" commands and then moved on to unifix cube math doing more than and less than and skip counting. It isn't huge break through kind of stuff but he is doing it anyway. He was more argumentative when I told him it was time for history but he came and did it and then he was done for the day. Kearnan got through all of his subjects and even wrote in his journal.

So far today Tharen has done math, he actually worked in his new math book and has completed the first chapter. He said he didn't want to do school work when we started the day, but he did it. Then we moved on to dog training. Kearnan got through math and spelling and worked on dog training as well. We should be doing history right now but they are playing "nature explorers" in the backyard instead. They were having so much fun digging in the dirt, checking out bugs, dumping water and discovering geckos that I just couldn't make them come back inside. I'm willing to trade a day of history for this. This month we focus on the history of Halloween and other celebrations of the dead around the world. We've already covered the Iron Age Celts, and we have done this same "unit" if you want to call it that, 2 years in a row now. We will work for probably 2-3 more weeks and then take a week to do Halloween crafts and games and bake for the big day. I'm not worried about them missing a day. After lunch we can do reading and Kearnan can finish the rest of his work hopefully.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #119
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
I'm soo sorry. As someone that has many 2 & under during the day, I can totally sympathize. How are they able to tear up some of the things the do? I hope the rest of the day improves.

This cracked me up. I'm sure you posted at nearly the same time. It's the little things that get me.

AFM: We haven't done a lot yet. Last night, DD1 broke the screen on her ipod touch. She had it for 6 days. She's been saving forever and we finally made up the difference as a birthday present. She is destroyed. She was awake most of the night crying. So, she didn't get up until 11 this morning. I've been online looking for recs for a local place to fix it for her. Now I hope someone else gives her money for her birthday so she'll have enough to get it fixed. I feel really bad for her, b/c it was a fluke-she wasn't being irresponsible or anything like that.

DD2 got up bright and early with grand plans of knocking her work out right away and then got distracted. Hopefully we'll do better this afternoon.
LOL I didn't see her post today until just now!

about your daughter's ipod. What a major bummer!!! Hopefully there is some way to repair it inexpensively

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post

Sounds like a really rough day.... I'm so sorry! Hopefully when your DH gets home tonight you can take it easy. Are they going to check your BP again before deciding if they want to induce or not?
Have you mentioned already if you live in a state with hs requirements? hours or # of days? I would really just take it easy until the baby comes. GOOD FOR YOU on school yesterday! But don't pressure yourself to get a lot done... Rest, take care of yourself

Anyone~ what is AFM stand for?

Shannon~ they are NOT used to getting up that early, so that's most of it. Their moods are good, but oh my, the fighting with each other was at a new level earlier. We've just been relaxing today. There are no requirements for age 5 and under here, so even though we're aiming to hit the state requirements for 6+ this year, I'm not stressed or anything. (surprisingly! normally I stress out over everything. but you're right, they learn from everything. he's learned so much just by living life that I'm reassured )

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 10-03-2012 at 01:51 PM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #120
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

Rain- it means as for me.

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote