Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #141
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling check-in

I read all the way through. I'm too nosey and I might miss something!

I haven't been posting much, but I've been reading along. We took today off. All the schools are out, DS didn't have pre-k and DH didn't work. Of course, I'm working!

I picked up a set of books on the saints, so this week we'll start going through those. The Catholic homeschoolers have a big All Saints Day party where everyone dresses up like their favorite saint and others try to guess who they are. I think we probably need to brush up or we'll look pretty uneducated (yeah, I realize that's peer pressure. I felt like we were definitely out of the loop when at Mass the last time, all the kids busted out the Holy, Holy in Latin and my kids looked like WTH? )

I've got almost all the planning done for this week, so I should get off here and finish planning grammar.

Jen-I finally added up our hours and were at 397 hours total (DD1 has about 20 less b/c I count DD2's robotics group as science). Just because I'm lazy and I'm hoping you know, do science and history count in core hours or extra? I initially put them in core, but then thought that maybe they weren't. I suppose I should just go look it up.

Advertisement

2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #142
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hey mamas, I dont pop in much. sorry. But would any of you mamas like to be in a big homeschool swap? I imagine it would be ran like the eswap in the swap section? Im currently begging for someone 'in charge' to open it for us!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #143
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope, not in labor, Jen. I thought I was going into labor last night, but alas, it stopped. *sigh* I'm trying not to be impatient, but since me and everyone else thought I would deliver by now, I'm having a hard time not being impatient. Plus, these constant contractions are very frustrating. Ugh!

Jen - Sounds like you were very productive today. Nicely done! 1000hrs does seem like a lot. Do you have to do testing or anything every year? We have to do testing or get someone to eval their work at the end of every year after they turn 6 by Sept 30. It's annoying because I feel like I have to worry about him passing. I could qualify for the religious exemption which would mean no testing required, but I'm nervous to do it because it will mean we can't use any services we might need. So far, that is none, but my sister needed a ton. So, it's something I do think about. Eventually, we will probably take it, but not till I'm sure we don't need any services. Question: Do your kids do AWANA or anything similar. I'm finding that we have several verses to memorize every week and it's getting confusing. We have AWANA verses, MFW verse and a church verse that we rarely memorize. I'm trying not to worry about the MFW verse and just say it a time or two during our school time. If they memorize it great. If not, oh well. How are you handling this?

Kristin - 397 is a lot of hours so far. Good job, Mom!

AFM - No school today. I was much too tired today for some reason. But, I did make the kids clean up. I don't understand why I feel so lost on the math, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly where to go from where we are. *sigh* My poor oldest child is such an experiment.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 10-08-2012 at 04:26 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #144
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Hello to everyone! I hope you are all having a better Monday than we did. Actually the new schedule went pretty well for the most part. (And DH had a second interview for a promotion at work today too!)
But, I too feel like my oldest child is an experiment. He does not deal well with change and is horrible about getting back to doing school on Mondays. Today he spent most of the day angry and crying over any school work I asked him to do. I almost think it would be better for him to do school every day, but I can't keep up with that. I just pray every night that tomorrow will be a better day.
What does everyone else do for PE? Do you schedule it into your day? Today we started doing 15 minutes of yoga. It was more for me than the kids, but they tried it (except DS1 of course) and did pretty good with it. Since the weather here is starting to get pretty cold and yucky I want to make a point of doing some physical activity every day. I am really interested in this http://familytimefitness.com/ program, but it's not in the budget and I feel like I should be able to put something together myself. Anyone have any suggestions of free websites for even a book from the library?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #145
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Corrie - My oldest acts like that too, but it's more random. He usually does well after a long break. But, he randomly acts like you described (usually 2-3x's a week). I have noticed that he does much better doing school in the AM than in the afternoon. If I've let him play and then want to interrupt him to do school that does not go well. Sorry you had a rough day with him.

As for PE, we've never actually done anything. My kids are extremely active just because they are still pretty young and there are 4 boys. They run around the house more than I'd like to admit. So, I guess I feel like they get enough exercise and I don't do much directed physical activity with them, other than ring around the rosie or the like. LOL. But, it would be nice to have a dedicated time a couple times a week. I just don't know if I could pull my act together enough to do that right now.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #146
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Jen, Yay for a good day. 1000 hours does sound like a lot of hours. I am glad I live in a state with no real requirements. I am not sure how many hours we put in each year.

Miranda, I might be up for a swap.

Heather, my oldest is an experiment too. I can't help but sometimes feel like I have failed as he is not doing well in a few subjects. He is very strong in math and science but he is not strong in writing or spelling. I don't know if that is a flaw in the way I taught him, a manifestation of his ASD or a combination of both. I keep reminding myself that the public school didn't plan to teach him at all so we are doing better by leaps and bounds. It really doesn't seem to matter what I learn teaching him though, his brother is the complete opposite and bound and determined to do everything differently. I have no idea what to do with him.

Corrie, We do not use an in-home program for PE, we take classes. Several years ago I signed Kearnan up for Taekwondo as a therapy thing as he needed more work on balance, gross motor, self control and confidence. Over the years we have all joined and dh is now a partner at our school (which has the benefit of making it free for us). We practically live there in the evenings. It is 3 hours Monday and Wednesday, 2 hours Friday and 2 hours Saturday morning at least. If that wasn't enough a little over two years ago we started family skate night on Tuesday nights and Tharen found out about roller derby. Our local rink finally started a junior league through a MRDA team and Tharen joined at the begining of summer. So Tuesday night we all skate, Thursday night Tharen does derby practice for at least 2 hours (sometimes 4 if he skates with the men too) and then Sunday morning he does derby again for 2 hours. Dh started doing men's derby too. So that is what we do for PE. We also have a swing set in our back yard, a mini trampoline in our playroom and a playground directly across the street from our house. Tharen has more energy than he knows what to do with and has to get it out. He spends 10 minutes each morning training one of our little dogs Nimby. It is part of his curriculum now. He then runs her around the yard as a "reward" for their hard work. Then during reading time he bounces on the trampoline so he can listen better. If the weather is nice we nature walk or go to the park to ride scooters, skate, ride bikes or just play if we have time. So we get lots of exercise just around the house too.

AFM Today went decently well. Still experimenting with meds. We are weaning down off the first med and onto the new one. I'm still wondering if he needs the balance of the two together because today he was a little more argumentative. It wasn't awful and he is far more compliant that he was before but not as good as he was that day last week. I guess I have to keep tracking and hope to figure out where the balance is if there is one. By tomorrow he will be off Trileptal altogether. He did well with math this morning and moved on to training Nimby and reading. He enjoyed the stories so well we read two (we are doing Beatrix Potter right now). So far I am just reading to him, nothing real special but he is asking questions and really seems to be following and listening. He did balk and history which is strange for him. Kearnan was not at his best and only got through math, history and spelling. He took forever eating lunch because he was busy fussing at Tharen for "not eating fast enough." We have talked about this and it drives me nuts. I have to get therapy started there is just so much to get done right now. We need to work on our social skills books and he wants to do crocheting but having time for everything is hard. We were back to TKD today, finally, new school is open. Tharen did better than normal, his behavior was not too out of control. He was not nearly as well behaved as he is at derby but I don't know how to fix that. He just doesn't like TKD like he does derby and he doesn't respect the instructors at TKD like he does his derby guys. Kearnan did very well at TKD and got complimented on his rolls so he was feeling pretty good until he realized there were cookies he couldn't have. Poor guy, it sucks to be dye free.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #147
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Kristin--science and history are core subjects. MO does the 5 core--reading, writing, math, science and history. And WOW for 397 hours! When did you guys start? I figure up our hours per day, and then I add them to our running total at the end of the week. Last year was our practice HSing year, and I didn't keep a running tally and it was a huge pain to go back and figure everything up.

Miranda--I don't know about a swap. We have a few things that we could get rid of, but not too much because I just donated a whole lot to a local family and then another box to the SOS. We had way too much stuff, but our shelves are looking better now. I would probably participate in a swap, but you won't find a hostess in me. Sorry.

Heather--MO does not have any mandatory testing. They make you write down your hours, although no one checks them. So I guess I could write down whatever I wanted, but I'm too honest to do that. I do sometimes write down wierd things and count them as HS hours. IMO, little kids can learn from just about anything. And they do some wierd stuff in PS sometimes. If I were you I would be torn on the religious exemption--weren't you getting one of your kids a speech eval? If I lived there I would love to take it, but then I would be scared Kennah would need services later, so I'd probably suck it up and do the testing for now. What happens if they fail? Do they make you stop homeschooling, or does it matter what kind of grades you get? We don't do AWANA and TBH I'm not entirely sure what it is. I know a church in the next town over offers it. Right now we are doing the MFW memory verses, and then the kids have a memory verse each week at church. We were thinking of doing SCM because Keegan has already memorized quite a bit of the first grade requirements, but I think it's just too much to handle right now. I think though if your kids have other verses that they are working on I wouldn't worry about the verses from MFW. You could read them with the lesson and talk about them, but I probably wouldn't have them try to memorize it. It does get confusing if you have too many verses from too many places. Sometimes my kids get their Sunday school verse and their homeschool verse mixed up.

Corrie--hoping you're having a better day today. Have you tried doing something fun on Monday mornings to ease back into school? Like maybe a learning game? If he struggles with the transition maybe that would help? We don't have any set curric for PE. The girls are in gymnastics, we go to the park, or ride bikes or play ball. Keegan does soccer in the spring. My kids run around a lot!

AFM--This morning went okay. Only one more day of Hooked on Phonics review left so I'm unsure what I'm going to do about that. This afternoon we have our big hoopla day of gymnastics and park and library and all that. I only just realized today that I am going out of town Friday and Saturday and leaving DH in charge of the kids. My guess is he will try to homeschool but he really has very little idea about what we do so I'm getting kind of nervous about the disastrous state things will be in when I come back. Hopefully the kids will keep him on track.

Has anyone heard from Angel? It seems like it's been several days since we've heard from her and I'm hoping all is going well for her. I may have to go start a new check-in thread. This is getting a bit lengthy.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #148
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hello there everyone!

I have been following this thread and I am glad it was started. It is SO nice to read about everyone's experience w/ homeschooling.

I have 4 DDs who are 11.5, 10.5, 7.5 and 4 yrs old. We are relaxed homeschoolers who do our own thing. My children don't use a curriculum and they don't have assignments they have to complete. I do have certain things my DDs do which count as academic and are also fulfilling some other requirements. An example is writing a thank you card for someone who got us museum passes. It is a lesson in manners and in writing. We are doing a postcard exchange (again and I really didn't sign up to do this again but alas). A postcard exchange is a great thing to teach children about geography, history, writing, reading and postage.

Today I am planning a bike ride where we stop @ the library and then meet up w/ a friend of ours. The bike ride will fulfill the PE requirement for probably the wk but I don't really think of it as are we getting enough PE for the school district. We ride our bikes when the weather is fine and we have to get to a place close by. If it is once a wk great, if it is 3 times a week even better and I don't worry if we didn't bike ride at all that wk either. Like someone said earlier my kids are active just because they are kids, they are running and jumping all the time. The person who should be more active running and jumping is me : )

Most of my children's days they are free to do what they would like. My girls are limited in screen time, they get to spend about an hour or so watching DVDs. Really the person who needs to limit screen time is their mom (ME) because I spend too much time on the computer. Hopefully today I won't. Aside from the limit of screen time my girls are free to do different things (within reason- no being outside @ 10pm or the like). My girls will play outside w/ their friends, play together, listen to audio books or read and draw.

I find my issue being I wanted to do more w/ them but didn't because of either being on the computer or occupied w/ other things. They enjoy being read to. They like to play games but I just don't do as much of it as I want to. I guess we all want to do more than what we actually do w/ our children.

On Sunday we were @ the art museum for a few hours. The girls got to do crafts which they enjoyed. Afterwards I decided we were going to go on a tour. My 10 yr old wasn't thrilled about the art tour but I want them to learn about art in addition to make their own. The tour was an hour long, we did have to stand a bit and it was meant for adults but I am sure my girls got something out of it. As time goes on I plan on trying to get my girls to go on more art museum tours w/o it being something I decide for them to do.

I feel like we are touching upon certain subjects just going through our days together. Really our visit to the art museum was more art than most kids get an entire month and we are going again this weekend so I feel very good about the content we have covered in that area.

Looking forward to keeping this thread going and I will try to pop on again to say how things are moving along.

Thanks to all of you for sharing details about your days!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #149
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Hello again ladies Thanks for the words of encouragement and suggestions. We had a better day today. We got through all of our scheduled work with only a few fussy moments from DS1. The best parts of today were our sign language lesson (watching a beginning signs DVD) and a cool science experiment that involved vinegar, baking soda, and a balloon!
Hope you are all having good days as well!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #150
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Today was great. Even though me and the youngest ds are fighting some sort of cold. He wanted to "do more class". So do more class is what we did! He is 4 and flying thru Explode the Code A and hwot prek books. And glue seems to be a fav of his to these days. Thank goodness its cheap! We finished up school this morning and did a medicine run to walmart - wow I think meds are more expensive these days? Or maybe its just been a while since my crew has been sick. I dunno. I am excited to find what works for us now. We started with BFIAR and that was a no go for us, so we are moving on. Our MUS should arrive via ups tomorrow and we will start that Thursday. I really wish my 11yo dd would chose to hs. I think she would be so much better off! She cries daily with the homework ps is giving her. It makes me really sad. I tested her on a Saxon 'grade level' test and she is at a 4/5. She is in 6th grade in ps and it is so tough on her. Well, maybe I can convince her next year to let me help her. I hope all of you had a wonderful Tuesday!