Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2012, 04:54 AM   #21
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling check-in

Good Morning Mamas (&daddies)! I'd love to be included in the check in! My ds is 4 (TODAY) We use BFIAR, HWOT, Explode the Code and Mudpies to Magnets. Im downloading this weeks BFIAR activities from www.homeschoolshare.com as we speak! We have been doing pre k for 6 weeks now. He is doing fantastic! Last week was a little rough for me, because we adopted a puppy and Im having to figure out how to be a mommy to both a puppy (high needs) and 3 children! But we are making it! My ods and dd are in public school by their own choosing. I cant wait to visit with you ladies! I will check back in after school.

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #22
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So far this morning we have been completely derailed! We have done nothing school related. This is exactly why we school year round because I can't handle the pressure of having to get it done by a certain date. Luckily, we started in July and we are already a quarter of the way through our curriculum.

My kids just woke up crazy this morning. Instead of doing school, we cleaned the house. It wasn't what I planned, but it did need to get done. I made them clean the house to focus their energy.

Maybe we will still get something done after lunch, but I'm also having some belly issues right now. Yesterday, I was in a lot of pain and not able to function. I'm better today, but it's hurting right now. Which is why I'm sitting here on the computer. LOL!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #23
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Tomorrow we'll be almost totally done with MFW K! We won't finish tomorrow but probably will by the end of the week. We're going to work on reading quite a bit because that's where we're having the most trouble right now. We'll put in a few hours in the morning, and then I'm hoping to get the house cleaned up at least a little. It looks like there's been an earthquake or something in here. Only...no earthquake, just life with children. Plus we've been gone for a few days, so I have some major catching up to do!
Congrats! Very cool that we get to finish the curriculum when children are ready.
Are you doing MFW for first grade next?

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #24
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady View Post
I'm in! DS is in 8th grade, and this is our first year HSing and we started in the middle of August (we decided kind of last minute). We are doing a year round schedule, so I schedule frequent short breaks. We worked M-Sat for 4 weeks, just had last week off, and we start back up again tomorrow. It was nice to have a break.

I changed his science curriculum (CK12 Biology), so he gets to start that, and I also found a free online sign language class for his foreign language. I have always wanted to learn sign language, so I will be learning with him. He is deaf in one ear, so I thought this would be a good language for him to learn. I'm excited to start it!

We use Alpha Omega Lifepacs for history and language arts, CLE 700 for math, and now CK12 for science. He is reading The Book Thief for reading, and now the sign language. We also do various cooking and craft projects for home ec.
Wil you tell us about the free sign language class? I'm interested.

Click Here
Old 09-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #25
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
angel - Cool that your hubby is going to teach! Mine isn't home enough to really do much. Sometime I have him do science stuff though. (And yeah, I don't use FB at all. Too much drama for me. Plus, I'm on DS enough. I don't need anything extra to distract me from being productive. LOL!! and )

jen - Yay for being almost done with K!!

Tomorrow I'm not exactly sure what we are doing. We do MFW 1st. It's pretty much open and go. I know I already looked at it, but I can't remember. So, we'll open and go! LOL! But, we do have someone coming to see about getting some groundhogs out from living under our house and I definitely have to clean up. Jen, we have the earthquake look too. Hopefully, we will get it all done. We've taken a couple weeks off. I hope we can get right back into the swing of things. I'm also expecting to deliver this baby pretty soon, maybe a week or 2 to go. Hoping to get a good amount done before that happens.

Question: So, whose kids are what age/grade? My only formal schooler is almost 7 and in 1st. I also have 4 year old twins and 2 year old twins and I'm 37wks (tomorrow) pregnant with my 6th.

You have two sets of twings, wow! Very cool!

My children are

7 year old boy doing 2nd and 3rd grade

Almost 5 year old girl doing K

3 year old girl too busy playing to study often, but does some coloring and tracing with us.

And one more. I'm pregnant now. This one is busy kicking all day long.

Click Here
Old 09-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #26
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwakip View Post
Normal day planned tomorrow. I have lots of prep work this week, I can't wait until I can purchase some history curriculum for them. I have to prepare all their assignments, quizzes, and tests and it is getting old.

Anyone have any suggestions for good middle school American History curriculum?
I'm waiting to purchase K curriculum for my daughter too and can't wait.....! I can't afford it yet, so I've been putting together my own curriculum here too.

Click Here
Old 09-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #27
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
I'd like to join also.

Brainstormed some schedule changes this weekend; it always feels like there isn't enough time in the day. I'm not a morning person and ds gets tired and cranky in the afternoons.
Good luck. I hope your new schedule will work better for your family.
I'm not a morning preson neither.

Click Here
Old 09-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #28
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blane,j,&morgansmom View Post
Good Morning Mamas (&daddies)! I'd love to be included in the check in! My ds is 4 (TODAY) We use BFIAR, HWOT, Explode the Code and Mudpies to Magnets. Im downloading this weeks BFIAR activities from www.homeschoolshare.com as we speak! We have been doing pre k for 6 weeks now. He is doing fantastic! Last week was a little rough for me, because we adopted a puppy and Im having to figure out how to be a mommy to both a puppy (high needs) and 3 children! But we are making it! My ods and dd are in public school by their own choosing. I cant wait to visit with you ladies! I will check back in after school.
Happy birthday...!
Your children must be super excited to have a new puppy!

Click Here
Old 09-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #29
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
So far this morning we have been completely derailed! We have done nothing school related. This is exactly why we school year round because I can't handle the pressure of having to get it done by a certain date. Luckily, we started in July and we are already a quarter of the way through our curriculum.

My kids just woke up crazy this morning. Instead of doing school, we cleaned the house. It wasn't what I planned, but it did need to get done. I made them clean the house to focus their energy.

Maybe we will still get something done after lunch, but I'm also having some belly issues right now. Yesterday, I was in a lot of pain and not able to function. I'm better today, but it's hurting right now. Which is why I'm sitting here on the computer. LOL!
I hope you are feeling better now.

I plan to start the day with homeschooling, but somedays, we end up starting the day with cleaning too. we kind of have to go witht he flow.

Good for you for getting so much done in past couple of months. I am pregnant too and certainly just don't have energy and good enough physical condition to do a lot of schooling. I get too nauseous during the pregnancy.
I'm looking forward to doing a lot more once new baby is born and everything settles down and I have more energy.... someday.

Click Here
Old 09-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #30
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We passed to 200 hour mark today!!! I'm so excited! In MO you have to have 1000 hours of HS per year. You're supposed to log them....although I don't know why because no one ever looks at them. Actually I do know why--it's in case you get turned in to CPS or something. We're aiming to do 100 hours a month for 10 months and then have a two month break. Or something like that. I'm really not sure if I want two whole months off, I may have to take like 3 weeks off and then do a week of review or somthing.

Okay, just so everyone knows my kids who do school are 6.5 & 4 (5 in Dec). We use My Father's World, we have about 4 days left of K. I have already boughten the 1st curriculum and we will probably start it after a couple days off and see how it goes but we may go slowly since they are still pretty young and my oldest is struggling with reading. My almost 3 YO likes to join in with us also, and by that I mean mostly she gets in the way a lot. But I sometimes give her something to cut out or whatever to keep her happy and to keep her from derailing us too much.

It's only one oclock and I am tired!! We did school this morning and all went very well today. And the house still looks kind of awful (okay, really pretty awful still) but the dishes and the laundry got done, plus we've had lunch and I've got the chili going in the crock pot for supper.

Heather--sorry you're feeling stinky now and hope you feel better soon! I can't really imagine trying to get everything done and being 8 months preggo...although I should probably start imagining because we're hoping to get a bun in the oven soon. How much time are you taking off when the little one comes?

Angel--I thought you were using Abecka? Maybe I made that up.... It's awesome that your husband teaches though. My DH doesn't teach, but we do use him to review sometimes. Like "Hey guys! Go show Daddy that frog book we made and read it too him." So they get a bit of extra practice with whatever we're learning about and he stays somewhat informed about what we are learning. It's a win-win.

Somochickenlady--I'm interested in the sign language class too. I keep thinking I want to teach the kids more signs (and learn more signs myself) but I never get around to doing it.

Hope everyone's afternoon goes well!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote