Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #61
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling check-in

Well, we did a little, but the toddlers were not cooperating today. It figures. We did our calendar activities and a little math. I'm planning to try to do phonics after I feed the kids lunch, which should have been about 15 minutes ago. But, I feel good about getting something done for school even if it was barely anything.

Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #62
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Heather, fingers crossed for you that you get some school in today. I hate taking breaks too because the kids always seem to back slide on me but things just get crazy with appts sometimes. I hope your appts go well and the protein was just a fluke.

ETA:totally missed your second post. Sounds pretty good to me. Of course I'm counting it as a success if I don't have to full out fight with Tharen.

Jen, I hope you can get a vehicle soon. Getting out and not feeling cooped up at home would be nice.

The boys had fun at the park for a while last night, unfortunately none of the neighborhood kids were out and Kearnan got bored and hot and wanted to come back sooner than Tharen would have liked. I guess Tharen didn't want to stay alone. I didn't get my Halloween decorations up outside, decided I needed dh's help for it, but we did get the inside done after the boys were in bed. I cleaned the garage and swept the driveway while the boys played at the park. I guess I'm still a bit paranoid about the being out there completely alone. I wish we had a neat little porch or something to sit on, but there is just the garage and driveway plus a little walk up. Our windows don't face the park either so I can't let them go and watch through the window. We went over personal safety and park safety rules before they went anyway. I'm always nervous with Kearnan because he doesn't "get it". He is getting older and needs the freedom though. It is a hard balance.

Last night I wound up going to teachers tools and buying a bunch of math manipulatives. That was painful. The boys enjoyed running around the store and playing with all of the displays. They loved the little market set up, the giant skeleton and the Calico Critters house and people. It was great. I probably should have just ordered the full set at amazon, would have been close to the same price and I would have gotten more stuff (not that I need doubles of things I already have but still) but it was fun for them anyway. They have more things to put on their Christmas lists now and they are all things I feel good about.

Today has been decently smooth. Tharen whined when I told him it was a school day but moved on pretty quickly. We worked with a toy clock, trained Nimby, did History and read Celtic fairy tales. That was about all he was willing to do. Kearnan burned through math, worked on training Blue, did history and Celtic fairy tales with us and then did spelling and is working on grammar right now. He should be ready for free reading after lunch. We wound up skipping science this week but if I have time I may read them some science books for fun. They were studying monsters and dragons when I woke up this morning.

Last edited by iris0110; 09-27-2012 at 12:03 PM.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #63
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow, Corrie that playhouse/chicken coop sounds awesome! And your kiddos learned some life lessons there--like how to be thrifty, and of course some construction stuff. Life lessons rock.

Yes we are planning on starting MFW 1st when we go back, but I'm not sure how that will go. I've looked over the curriculum a bit and they will do fine with the review stuff. When we hit the regular part we may either take it very slowly or lay off the curriculum for a while Keegan improves his blending skills. He is just barely starting to get it, so I'm hoping it will be like when they start learning to talk and it finally clicks, and then they have a language explosion. We'll see though. I have HOP K and 1st so if he is still having trouble I think I may use them. My Mom found them (new in package) at a yardsale for $5 per set.

We have today off school which the kids are somewhat enjoying...but they're also kind of wondering around like they are lost without school, lol. It's wierd because they're never like this on the weekend. And we've certainly been busy enough without school today--we canned four batches of applesauce this morning, did some laundry, threw dinner in the crock pot and the like.

MFW uses: So I had the "new" version of the K program which had the nice little chart set up for each unit. I really like the way it had things laid out in the teacher's manual. Now that I'm looking at our 1st stuff (which is not the "new" version) it's totally different and I still like the curriculum, but not the way it's laid out. Now it's just spelled out by day and it seems like it's harder to find what you are looking for. Is this something they are changing when they are doing the updates or are all the manual this way after K?

Heather--yay for your awesome deal on the math stuff. I hope that your protien was a fluke and that you are getting some HSing done OR feeling better about not getting any done, lol.
I'm kind of debating on math stuff myself, Keegan is awesome at math but Rachel is not so much (she's super young though). I'm trying to decide when we do add on whether we want to go with Singapore or Math-u-see. I've heard good things about singapore and I know that's what MFW recommends, but I've also heard good things about MUS and I think down the road it would be better for my youngest DD because she is so visual. I don't know if we will supplement math this year or not, right now we're going to wait and see how it goes. If I don't supplement this year I'll probably just wait so I can see the two in person at the convention this spring. Oh decisions, decisions!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #64
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Today was another sick day for us. I was up at least once an hour overnight with somebody. DD1 is prone to bloody noses when she is sick and it's happened 2 nights in a row. Plus the baby has got it now and just wanted to nurse all night long. We did manage to get some history reading done and some handwriting. It has rained almost non stop for the past two days which isn't helping my energy level, so I think we might all cuddle up and watch a family movie this afternoon.
I can't remember who was asking about math to go along with MFW...but for what it's worth we tried Singapore with DS1 and DD1 and they just weren't getting it so we have started using Math-U-See. They really like the blocks and are really starting to "see" it! We went back and started with Alpha so they could learn how it teaches place value and it has really helped. Now I just hope we can get caught up.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #65
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did very little today. The girls did their spelling and I think DD1 did her math (but I don't even know for sure-great teacher I am! ). I picked up a lot of bulk produce from Azure Standard today, so I've been in canning/preserving mode. I shredded/bagged/froze 12 zucchini, made 10.5 pints of salsa and 9.5 quarts of diced tomatoes. Peaches are on the agenda for tomorrow.

I plan on getting my act together on Saturday morning and planning ahead a bit (probably go to the library and get some science and history books to go along with our curriculum). DH said tonight that he doesn't feel involved, so I need to fix that ASAP.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #66
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How are you, everyone?

Do you homeschool on weekends? I want to, but my mother in law had told children weekends are not meant for schooling, so it set this idea in my son's head that he won't study on weekends.
Plus, I've been tired from pregnancy, so we don't do study on weekends. (Ideally, I want to do study on Saturdays.)

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #67
momof3boysNC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll join in...=)

We usually only do the formal schoolwork on weekdays. My husband like to do fun hands-on learning when he is off work(sat & sun), we also do most of our errands/shopping on the weekends.

My "students" are 7 years old(2nd grade), 5 years old(K/1st), 4 years old(pre-k/k), 2 year old toddler that asks to do his reading lesson and math, but loves to color along side us at the table. Student #5 will be joining us in January. =)

Since starting our sit down work at 9 this morning we have done:

Reading instruction for 2nd grader while 5 year old works in his Phonics workbook
And then we switch, reading instruction for 5 year old while 2nd grader works in his writing practice workbook(sentence structure, etc...)

Grammar for 2nd grader but my 5 year old listens in

Took a break, fed the dogs, then decided to go on a walk...looked at tadpoles in a ditch, collected oak leaves and acorns...

Came back home...drew pictures of oak leaves/acorns in our nature journal, we've also been studying mushrooms this week.

Now(at 11) we are enjoying free play outside until lunchtime and then it will be time for math for the 2 oldest boys and reading lesson & handwriting with the 4 year old.

There will also be lots of reading aloud, legos and whatever else we come up with.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts, it's always nice to read about how/what others are doing. =)
Due with monkey #6 in August
Custom made Crochet dolls!
momof3boysNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #68
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We don't do school work on weekends, it doesn't seem very fair. If we took off most of the week we might but I see no reason to try to shove in more work when we already school more days of the year than public school kids. Dh works a "typical" schedule Mon-Fri and we have TKD and roller derby pretty much every evening so weekends are our days for errands and having fun together as a family. This weekend we are going to celebrate Dh's birthday by going to the movies and possibly catch a Junior Derby bout. Then Sunday the IL's would like to see dh for his birthday.

Friday is usually our light school day/chore day but today Tharen has a doctor's appt so only chores and play time today. The boys got their chores done quickly and have been playing while I did my work. I need to grab a quick shower before dh gets home so we can get to the doctor. I am anxious to hear what he has to say. Tharen is still cycling, now that I know exactly what I am watching for it is very easy to catch the changes. It looks different in him than in me but it is clearly there.

Last edited by iris0110; 09-28-2012 at 11:34 AM.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #69
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, we ended up taking the whole week off. I am just losing my mind with all the clutter in our house. I can't focus on anything! So we decided to take some time to get some stuff cleared out. After this weekend, we should be in a MUCH better place to get back to schooling. The kids have been sort of unschooling for the week too, so it works out. The tracked a monarch butterfly all around over our field for like 2 hours this morning. lol
Jedimomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #70
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Everyone!

Jen - I didn't use the 2nd edition of MFW K. So, this seems fine to me, actually easier than the old K manual. But, I've heard of some people making notes about what else they need to do, particularly about math right under the days. That way it's all together. I do think they are planning to revise this portion of 1st like they did with K. (Believe me, K was worse. It was a LOT of flipping with Bible/science being in one section, math being in another and phonics in another.) But, the 2nd edition isn't scheduled to come out till next year sometime (if that). They haven't given a real time frame yet.

As for the MFW 1st math, we tried doing theirs. I have no doubt that it would be just fine. But, I need more hand holding. I just need it completely spelled out. I don't have enough experience or enough confidence to do math without it. We use Singapore. We used Essentials K last year with MFW K. It's all we have used. I've seen in a lot of places about it being a very strong curriculum and since MFW recommends it starting in 2nd, that's the route I went. We haven't started it for this year, but I wouldn't say I had very strong feelings one way or the other last year. It was fine. If I were to try something else, it would probably be Saxon because I used that in school and really liked it. I stuck with Singapore for this year because I just wanted to stay consistent. He did learn from it.

Corrie - Sorry to hear you all were sick yesterday. Hopefully the kids are feeling better and you got more sleep last night.

Schooling on weekends - We do sometimes. My husband works a lot of Saturdays. When he does, we often do school on Saturday. My kids don't mind and don't notice. I do it mostly as a make up day. If we did school all 5 days during the week, I will sometimes not bother even if my husband is working. However, I also use it as a way to get a little head too. So, sometimes I do it even if we did get school in all 5 days that week. I guess it mostly depends on my mood.

AFM - Had my OB appt today. Everything is fine. No protein and BP was good. I'm contracting a lot today though. We'll see if I make it through the weekend. I was wanting to make it to at least Oct 1st. I still sort of want to, but I'm kind of just done too. But, Sept 30 is the cut off for K here. It makes a difference in testing that is required. It would put this baby on the young side of his grade and I prefer him to be on the older side, or at least have that option. I've dealt with this with my oldest whose b-day is in a couple weeks. Anyway, we didn't do anymore school yesterday. I'm going to try to finish the phonics that was supposed to be done yesterday sometime today or this weekend and then I think we need to hold off till after the baby. I just have too many appts and such to be trying to fit school in. But, we'll see. I felt so much more productive yesterday just getting in a little. So, I may try. Totally playing it by ear. (where did that saying even come from?? )