Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #81
TJR2119
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling check-in

Whoa I would be angry angel nee nee.

We also sometimes work on a weekend if we did not accomplish enough during the week. It rarely happens because ds is adamant about completing his work so that he can have weekends off.

Advertisement

TJR2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #82
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I saw that you were in MO like me and thought you might be interested in this. [URL="http://mdc.mo.gov/education"
http://mdc.mo.gov/education[/URL] That's a link to the MO department of conservation website...if you go there and fill out a request form they will send you a huge kit of stuff--it's more-or-less a whole science curriculum. You can pick that the age that you need and they will ship it to your house for free! Just fill out the form and tell them you are homeschoolers. Personally, I don't like the snake posters. They give me the heebie-jeebies.

thanks for the site that is great I already printed the form. We are new to home schooling so I am trying to get the hang of everything that is needed. and finding all the free curriculum and places to go. Ill take all the help I can get.

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #83
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Angel - on your MIL. Sorry you had a rough day. We all have days like that. I'm having a ton of them right now. I'd probably find a nonchalant way to talk to your MIL also.

Jen - I'm planning to upgrade our manual. We aren't starting K again till the fall though. However, I do admit, I'm having second thoughts about upgrading. It's becoming more and more clear that we won't be doing the full K curriculum again for a few more years. My 4 year olds tag along with my 6 year old on everything. They have already done all the science and activities with him. So, I'm not really sure I need a new book just to do the phonics. And.......I have to be honest....I love the program, but I'm thinking about trying something else for K with my others. I already bought the student sheets because I was thinking of starting them this year and decided against it. Now, I've changed again and I'm thinking about starting with the 4 year olds when they turn 5 in Dec as a pre-K. With my older son, the pace and the level the phonics was on was perfect for him. But, my 4 year olds are light years ahead of where he was when he started. Without me teaching them, they are probably going to be reading CVC words long before fall when I wanted to start the formal MFW K with them. I'm not really wanting to figure out how to adapt it for them. Plus, I know they can go faster and with how much flack I've gotten for my 6 year old not reading more by the end of K, I think I want something that takes them farther in K. I'm leaning toward checking out A Beka. They will still tag along with Zack (the older) for all Bible/science/history and will do MFW, but possibly not for phonics in K or 1st. I'm not sure. I need to research and pray and just wait and see what might be best for them. But, at some point, I will upgrade.

So cool about getting all that free science stuff! I thought it was funny you said you don't like the poster with the snakes. I made my son a snake cake for his birthday yesterday. He LOVES animals and snakes are his favorite. It was a rectangular cake with a jungle/dessert as the "backdrop" so to speak. He had me make "realistic" looking snakes, a python, a black mamba, a green mamba, an anaconda and a copperhead. He stood with me while I decorated to make sure I was making each one correctly. He was totally loving it as he explained to everyone which snakes they were. It was a huge hit at the party.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 09-30-2012 at 07:01 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #84
FTingmama
Registered Users

I'd like to join in. I have new curriculum coming in for dd since "winging it" isn't working for us anymore. I'm starting with all about spelling, rocket phonics and math u see.
FTingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #85
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Sorry, that does sound like a pooper of a day. I'm with who-ever else said it though, and would talk to MIL. I know that can be a pain and lead to disaster, but she shouldn't try to undermine you and she should respect your choices even if she does not agree with them. Maybe you could get your DH to talk to her for you?

I saw that you were in MO like me and thought you might be interested in this. http://mdc.mo.gov/education That's a link to the MO department of conservation website...if you go there and fill out a request form they will send you a huge kit of stuff--it's more-or-less a whole science curriculum. You can pick that the age that you need and they will ship it to your house for free! Just fill out the form and tell them you are homeschoolers. Personally, I don't like the snake posters. They give me the heebie-jeebies.

As far as weekends we will sometimes do stuff on Saturday. It depends on what we have gotten done throughout the week and how our sanity is holding up. DH works most Saturdays, and has Thursdays off so sometimes we don't homeschool on Thursdays and then we do it on Saturdays. We never homeschool on Sunday though.

We enjoyed our break and I didn't look over our 1st grade curriculum as much as I would have liked yet. I am trying to get things ready to go for tomorrow and I'm interested to see how it goes.

Heather--if you can at all for you younger ones, I recommend updating to the MFW K new edition. I think it's $45 for the updated teacher's manual and I like the set up SOOOO much better. The one thing you do have to still flip for is the library recommendations--I wish they would put those in with the weekly stuff too.
Jen-thanks for that website. I "borrowed" it as well. We're doing Apologia Astronomy right now, but we'll finish that long before the end of the year, so having something free would be great.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #86
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

You're welcome to the ladies who used the website. Glad I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Jen - I'm planning to upgrade our manual. We aren't starting K again till the fall though. However, I do admit, I'm having second thoughts about upgrading. It's becoming more and more clear that we won't be doing the full K curriculum again for a few more years. My 4 year olds tag along with my 6 year old on everything. They have already done all the science and activities with him. So, I'm not really sure I need a new book just to do the phonics. And.......I have to be honest....I love the program, but I'm thinking about trying something else for K with my others. I already bought the student sheets because I was thinking of starting them this year and decided against it. Now, I've changed again and I'm thinking about starting with the 4 year olds when they turn 5 in Dec as a pre-K. With my older son, the pace and the level the phonics was on was perfect for him. But, my 4 year olds are light years ahead of where he was when he started. Without me teaching them, they are probably going to be reading CVC words long before fall when I wanted to start the formal MFW K with them. I'm not really wanting to figure out how to adapt it for them. Plus, I know they can go faster and with how much flack I've gotten for my 6 year old not reading more by the end of K, I think I want something that takes them farther in K. I'm leaning toward checking out A Beka. They will still tag along with Zack (the older) for all Bible/science/history and will do MFW, but possibly not for phonics in K or 1st. I'm not sure. I need to research and pray and just wait and see what might be best for them. But, at some point, I will upgrade.

So cool about getting all that free science stuff! I thought it was funny you said you don't like the poster with the snakes. I made my son a snake cake for his birthday yesterday. He LOVES animals and snakes are his favorite. It was a rectangular cake with a jungle/dessert as the "backdrop" so to speak. He had me make "realistic" looking snakes, a python, a black mamba, a green mamba, an anaconda and a copperhead. He stood with me while I decorated to make sure I was making each one correctly. He was totally loving it as he explained to everyone which snakes they were. It was a huge hit at the party.
That makes sense about your younger ones not needing to start at the same point as your older one and I'm sure they have picked up a lot this year. I know Rachel has learned a ton because she wants to be able to do everything that Keegan can do, so she usually works right along side him. Plus it may be a drag (for you) to repeat the same program so often. I won't be doing K again until Kennah turns 5 or so, so I've got at least a couple years before I have to teach that curriculum again, and we may wait an extra year for her anyway because she's behind, but we will just have to see how she is doing by then. Our local Christian academy uses Abecka and from everything I've heard their phonics program is very strong.

Yeah, I'm a big fat sissy about snakes. I've always been scared of them, and then last September I got bit by a copperhead. It was...not fun. The actual bite isn't really painful (similar to a bee sting) but I practically had a heart attack (not really, but holey cow!!). And then I had to get all the kids ready and act calm while I waited for DH to pick me up and take me to the hospital where I sat for hours so they could monitor me and I couldn't walk for a few days and it hurt for weeks!! And now I'm a bit over-the-top panicy about them. I know they're good for our ecosystem and everything, but I'd be just fine with never seeing a snake again. My son thinks it's funny and had a great time telling me about the live snake he caught on his fishing pole this summer.

As for today....I consider our first day of MFW 1st at least semi-successful. The kids were excited to start the new curric and everything went well enough. They really love those little pattern blocks.

I was looking at the complete book of math....does anyone know if this is pretty standard math for 1st grade? It seems a bit overly simple but maybe it's just because Keegan has always been good at math. I think it will be good for Rachel but it will be too easy for Keegan. He already knows how to add and subtract single digits and can add two digit stuff if he doesn't have to carry. He can tell time to the hour and half hour and knows simple fractions. He's known patterns and sequencing for a long time. He can do story problems if you read them to him and can measure inches and make simple graphs. He's a very logic minded kiddo, so I didn't know if this was really first grade level or if it was on the easier side of things. I'm still debating what we should do with math this year although I'll probably use at least some of this and may use it for Rachel all year.

Well I'm hoping my report looks this good tomorrow--after we got done with HS this morning Keegan laid down and said he didn't feel good and he's been coughing and snotting ever since.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #87
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedavid2011 View Post
Today was another sick day for us. I was up at least once an hour overnight with somebody. DD1 is prone to bloody noses when she is sick and it's happened 2 nights in a row. Plus the baby has got it now and just wanted to nurse all night long. We did manage to get some history reading done and some handwriting. It has rained almost non stop for the past two days which isn't helping my energy level, so I think we might all cuddle up and watch a family movie this afternoon.
I can't remember who was asking about math to go along with MFW...but for what it's worth we tried Singapore with DS1 and DD1 and they just weren't getting it so we have started using Math-U-See. They really like the blocks and are really starting to "see" it! We went back and started with Alpha so they could learn how it teaches place value and it has really helped. Now I just hope we can get caught up.

I hope you guys are feeling better this week!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel nee nee View Post
How are you, everyone?

Do you homeschool on weekends? I want to, but my mother in law had told children weekends are not meant for schooling, so it set this idea in my son's head that he won't study on weekends.
Plus, I've been tired from pregnancy, so we don't do study on weekends. (Ideally, I want to do study on Saturdays.)
Wow. She probably meant it innocently, but that sucks. We sometimes do field trips on Saturdays that I record in our log, but mostly Saturday is family day for us.

Today has been a relaxed and fun day. DD had dance this morning, during which ds and I read about tugboats in the harbor and egg-laying creatures. We worked on some subtraction and other math. Then at home we read poetry and both kids working on their letter and sounds/phonics. They have been having some free time. They are having a "celebration" of some kind (I'm not allowed in there so idk much about it) with the keyboard blasting and loud voices.
Planning on making banana bread together in a bit. Until then I am supposed to be taking pics of clothing and posting it on the online yard sale page. The van we were looking at last week fell through for us. After what he wanted+ repairs we would have spent much more than blue book value, so we're looking again. After we get a vehicle we will have spent all our savings so I need to be much more serious about being frugal/ raising a little extra $ to build it back up.
(sorry not really related to hs.)
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #88
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

On another note. One thing I really wanted out of homeschooling was for my kids to have the time and freedom to explore the things they are interested in, and find the things in life that make them deeply and truely happy. I've been noticing my son has been SMILING so much lately. He is SO happy. Last year he was in prek at this time, and was really stressed about the classes, getting up so early, not having time to play, having to do home work on top of class.... what a difference in him between then and now!!!!

Just wanted to share
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #89
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Today was fairly successful we reviewed sigh words and reading, then we talked about living and non living things. she ask me if she could circle the picture of the cooked turkey as a non living thing because it was dead now. We also made a list of safety rules. and we gave our Mirimo ball some carbonated water which we made in our soda stream to help him heal his small brown spot that he had when we bought him. Then we discussed if it was going to rain on our camping trip and we made a pumpkin out of paper for our camping trip for the kids to break open. I made our Number tiles today it cost me a hole 4 dollars. and I have enough tiles left over to make some alphabet tiles too. She only had one minor melt down about practicing writing her numbers.

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #90
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Rain - Sounds like a very productive day. I'm glad to hear about your son being happy.

Julie - Sounds like a fun day!

Jen - I am finding that I feel like the Complete book of math isn't going to take my son far enough in math this year. I've been using a ton of supplementation. I do some of the hands on, but my son likes workbook pages for math. I feel like I don't know exactly when to teach addition facts and stuff like that. I am worried I'm going to miss something without a more hand holding curriculum. This is how I felt in K too only more extreme. So, we are sticking with the calendar and number of the day activities, but we are adding in Singapore math to hold my hand and make sure he gets what he needs to. It's what we did last year too. I also noticed that when you start out with Singapore in K (or 1st) according to them, you will get farther through their books in elementary than if you start in 2nd. An advanced student (like I think Zack is going to be in math) will do more starting in 1st than 2nd. This is why I decided to go ahead with it. I wish I'd just done it right away. We'll see how it goes when we start. I will say, Zack likes the Complete Book of Math. So, I'm planning to still use it as supplement.

I went to a private Christian school 7th - 12th. So, I used a lot of A beka. It's a very good and solid program. That's why I'm looking into it for phonics and reading. I'm also thinking next year when Zack does Adventures and has to add in LA, we are going to skip MFW recommendations and go that route. I'm not a huge Charlotte Mason lover. I have nothing against it, but for some subjects, I want a more traditional approach, like LA. I still really love MFW and do plan to stick with it for the core stuff. But, I just think I'll be happier different LA's than what they recommend once you have to add in your own. So far, I'm very happy with the 1st program.

AFM - Today, we really could have done school. EVERYTHING is ready for me to deliver. The only thing I've had to do today is get laundry done, but that is on-going. However, my toddlers both have colds and I do too. I feel like the walking dead. LOL! I wish we'd done school, but I just puttered around instead because I don't feel good. *sigh* I can't wait till this baby comes and we can get back to normal. I just feel so unproductive when we don't do school and my kids are so much happier when I have some structure rather than this fly by the seat of our pants life we have going right now.

Zack has his speech eval tomorrow. I'm excited about it. But, it's going to be very tight on the timing. I have an OB appt at 2pm and then the speech at 3. It's across the street and I've rarely had any wait at the OB, but I'm still a bit nervous we won't make it.