Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

fresh eggs- help

I just bought a dozen eggs from a local lady. Is there anything I need to know? They are different colors and sizes and dirty. lol. Do I just clean the outsides with soap and water before using them? How long will they last? They aren't pasteurized, so anything I need to do special...and are they safe for my young son to eat and me while I'm nursing? TIA

Advertisement

Bentley'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley'sMomma
I just bought a dozen eggs from a local lady. Is there anything I need to know? They are different colors and sizes and dirty. lol. Do I just clean the outsides with soap and water before using them? How long will they last? They aren't pasteurized, so anything I need to do special...and are they safe for my young son to eat and me while I'm nursing? TIA
I just scrubbed the outsides with a scotch pad and some dish soap my son LOVES free range eggs.

We've never had a problem with them not being pasteurized, but pasteurization is really only important if you're not going to cook the eggs completely. Runny yolks and gooey scrambled eggs gross me out, so eggs around here are ALWAYS cooked all the way through. Although DH eats them over easy (ick) and he's never had a problem either.

I haven't noticed that they last a longer or shorter amount of time than normal... But we do go through eggs pretty quickly. If you're worried about it, submerge the egg in a glass of water. If it sinks to the bottom, it's still good. If it floats, it's no good. Enjoy your eggs!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: fresh eggs- help

Eggs you buy at the store aren't pasteurized either unless you're buying them in a carton. I rub the eggs off a bit with a dry cloth. But don't wash unless really dirty and only right before I use them. You wash the "bloom" off the egg is my understanding, something about it being a natural preservative. Not sure if that's true but I just do it anyway. And they last the same amount of time as store bought eggs.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have heard never to wash off fresh eggs until right before you crack them or they don't last long. Eggs are porous and there is some kind of a natural sealant.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

They're neat aren't they? Color and size doesn't make a difference in whats inside FWIW, so don't let anyone tell you the blue shelled eggs are special or worth more. Farm fresh eggs have a special coating on them that you can't see that works as a natural antibacterial coating. If you wash it off, they will spoil faster. You don't need to refrigerate them if you will use them up in a couple weeks. My eggs are rarely dirty because I'm anal about keeping my girls from sleeping in the nest boxes but if they are, I wash them right before I crack them. The eggs you buy in the grocery are pasteurized because they wash them with a sterilizing treatment and thus make the shell porous and more susceptible to bacteria. They are perfectly safe for you and ds. In fact, they will be higher in omega3's and vitamins.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
made4this
Active Contributor
Formerly: boyfarm3
seller
seller

My Mood:

When we bought our first chicks this year, we learned that "all poultry can carry salmonella" so I still cook our eggs thoroughly and I am comfortable with recommending that. Some of ours do end up dirty, which is a problem I am working on. I know they are naturally coated, but I still clean them if I am giving them away. (We keep them in the fridge regardless, and IME people seldom keep eggs long enough for them to spoil, especially if they are yummy free range eggs.)

I don't use soap and water, though. My new fave method is paper towel (if I had unpaper, I would use them) damp with warm water. Quick and easy.

Totally safe to eat. And healthier as pp mentioned Different breeds lay different colored eggs, and usually the girls will lay smaller eggs when they first start laying, HTH!
made4this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I asked around and did some reading too a while back. Unwash they can last on the counter for months. Up to 3 if I remember? I only wash before use to prevent removeing the latural protection layer. Eggs are pourous, so I just was with warm water. I know most use a mild soap, I just prefur not to. We are just LOVEING ours! I forced myself to watch a rescue group enter some egg production places and I balled my eyes out. Had to stop and catch my breatch a few times. While I don't recomend you doing this, I do wanna say you are doing a great thing in the whole sceme of thing by buying local like you are. WTG! The health benifits of the eggs are suppirior as well. Yum!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I never use soap, as I worry about the soap affecting the yumminess factor. Our eggs are usually pretty clean, unless it is a particularly muddy day. But, I do wipe them off with a damp towel as needed and carton them up. I know they last longer unwiped, but we rarely have a surplus around here. I tell DH all the time we could quadruple our flock and still not keep up with the demand for fresh eggs from happy birds around here.