Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken!

Mine do it too, lol. SUPER loud. It's so funny! Mrs. Purdy is an instagator (sp?). I'm getting 5-6 a day now.

I still have a problem......!!! I havn't seen the bloody bm's lately. It's one of the hens that are laying though. I found a new egg today streaked all over with bright red blood. It's only one chicken, how is this possible? They have been treated for every bug out there. Even cocci. I'm out of answers. It's not spread and not a one of them acts off in any way. Ugh. There were no traces on any vents. Although, knowing who it is wouldn't change anything. I still have no clue what it could be. I used wazine, ivermectin, and corid. That covers it all to my knowledge. Any thoughts? A hemmroid (sp?)?

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone have plans for the run they built? We have an awesome coop with small run but we want to add to it. The guy who made it for us has extra green metal roof we can get from him so that's done - jut not sure about exact plans.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is ours. Ray plants to build additional pannels to extend the run as soon as we can save up for it. Here is a link to the building of itwish we could have just gone bigger from the start)
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...oop/?start=all
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 09-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It didn't even notice untill just now that the boys were fighting through the fence in the pic I posted of the new perch I made. Ha, still fighting. Booboo chicken refuses to let it go. Oh, he now runs all the way up to the back door when I go out looking for treads! We had to make sure not to run him over when leaveing to pu Cayden a while ago.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
This is ours. Ray plants to build additional pannels to extend the run as soon as we can save up for it. Here is a link to the building of itwish we could have just gone bigger from the start)
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...oop/?start=all
Of course I have questions- is it just regular chicken wire covering? And what size posts are those? Thank you for sharing!!!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For our main supporting post we went pressure treated 4X4's. Well, it's all pressure treated. Ray's motto is save money in the long run by building it right. That's why it took so long to construct. Had to save $400-$600. I can remember what the exact # ended up being? Have to ask Ray tom. For the wire walls, we went with big panels and covered with chicken wire, then burried them well. The roof of the run is a pannel as well, then we can take the metal sheets off as needed. I think they will have to come off for winter to allow for more sun, and so the weight of the snow isn't an issue. The run, we ran out of money and wood. So,we split 2X4's. I beleive the exact is more like a 1X1 after cutting. Again, I can't remember, but can tell you more if you would like me to ask Ray. He has an amazeing memory for small detail. The design was just a figure out the small details as we went. He did the blueprints in his head. I tried to get some good pics in the album of the construction. Should have taken more. I don't know if I got a pic of the floor after removal under the perches? That is gone. That way, easy clean up. he made it so I can do it with my back. I can walk in easily to collect eggs, than both big doors can be opened for cleanout.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #17
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

On no, the run boards are 2X2 I think. can't be 1X1, haha!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
I'm worried about my egg eater, is there any way to make her stop or do I have off her? We've tried getting out there to get the eggs as soon as we hear someone laying (the coop is right against the house so we can hear pretty well) but it seems like she is practically waiting by their butts for the eggs to fall out.
As sad as it is, I would say you may need to " off her" as you said. It's a habit that is very hard to break and she may teach the others as well. I know with our flock they would be out.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #19
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah I wouldn't worry about it. One of my hens did this too, it was because she laid a double yolker her first week laying. Are you positive it was blood? My brown layers have had one or two eggs where they deposit more brown coating in one area and it looks like a streak. Glitches we get to worry about with our young girls.

Tilly laid one this week that had white dots all over one end, it looked like snow. I can't remember if we ate it already or not? Should have taken a picture!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #20
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
For our main supporting post we went pressure treated 4X4's. Well, it's all pressure treated. Ray's motto is save money in the long run by building it right. That's why it took so long to construct. Had to save $400-$600. I can remember what the exact # ended up being? Have to ask Ray tom. For the wire walls, we went with big panels and covered with chicken wire, then burried them well. The roof of the run is a pannel as well, then we can take the metal sheets off as needed. I think they will have to come off for winter to allow for more sun, and so the weight of the snow isn't an issue. The run, we ran out of money and wood. So,we split 2X4's. I beleive the exact is more like a 1X1 after cutting. Again, I can't remember, but can tell you more if you would like me to ask Ray. He has an amazeing memory for small detail. The design was just a figure out the small details as we went. He did the blueprints in his head. I tried to get some good pics in the album of the construction. Should have taken more. I don't know if I got a pic of the floor after removal under the perches? That is gone. That way, easy clean up. he made it so I can do it with my back. I can walk in easily to collect eggs, than both big doors can be opened for cleanout.
Thank you thank you thank you!!!