Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
lizad777
Registered Users

My Mood:
Renting SSC is it worth it?

Hi I am wanting to buy a SSC and have only tried Ergo sport and performance in a local store for a few minutes. I am very interested in a Boba 3g, but have no stores close to me. I have read that you can rent carriers. Those who have is it worth it or should I just take the plunge? If I do rent what should I look for in the place I rent from and do you have a place or site you recommend?
Thanks

Advertisement

lizad777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
lizad777
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Renting SSC is it woth it?

anyone???
Old 09-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
marathonmommy
Registered Users

Re: Renting SSC is it woth it?

I think renting is a great idea! They are pricey and by the time you figure in shipping the carrier to you (and possibly tax) and then selling if it's not a good fit (shipping again, plus some value lost) and you may as well have rented!

I know paxbaby offers you a credit for renting and they have the biggest selection that i have seen. it's my favorite website/store though so i am partial! :P
marathonmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just rented for our vacation. It was really easy and inexpensive. They sent an Ergo Sport, a Beco Gemini, and a Boba, for about $24. I have to pay to ship them all back but they give you store credit for part of the rental cost.

Best part was getting to test drive the carriers to find out what works best for my body type.

ETA: I rented through QuirkyBaby.com. Rachel was awesome and talked me out of ditching my ring slings. She gave me tips on how to wear them and now I'm in with my slings.

Last edited by CaliRoll; 09-22-2012 at 10:25 PM.
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRoll
I just rented for our vacation. It was really easy and inexpensive. They sent an Ergo Sport, a Beco Gemini, and a Boba, for about $24. I have to pay to ship them all back but they give you store credit for part of the rental cost.

Best part was getting to test drive the carriers to find out what works best for my body type.

ETA: I rented through QuirkyBaby.com. Rachel was awesome and talked me out of ditching my ring slings. She gave me tips on how to wear them and now I'm in with my slings.
So, which ssc did you like best?
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97

So, which ssc did you like best?
Ergo. The other two were tried on and put right back in the box. The Boba, which I thought looked great, was actually really uncomfortable.

But I'm also drooling over the Olives & Applesauce carriers.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
lizad777
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Renting SSC is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRoll View Post
Ergo. The other two were tried on and put right back in the box. The Boba, which I thought looked great, was actually really uncomfortable.

But I'm also drooling over the Olives & Applesauce carriers.
Ya I was only looking into Ergo and Boba3g, but now I found Kinderpack and Action baby carrier. I just wish I could try those 2 before buying, but I don't think they rent those
Old 09-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizad777

Ya I was only looking into Ergo and Boba3g, but now I found Kinderpack and Action baby carrier. I just wish I could try those 2 before buying, but I don't think they rent those
PaxBaby has the Action carriers but not the Kinderpack. They do have the O&A so I'm going to try to rent that one before taking the plunge and buying one.

On the Kinderpack, can you contact a local babywearing group and see if they have one you can try? Or find a retailer with a good return policy.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you have a local babywearing group? Often a great way to try stuff out and think about it Are you likely to be able to buy something you don't love locally? if so, I tend to like to buy second hand, try it for a bit and then an sell what I don't love.
I would say it would depend on how much the rental was if it is worth it or not...
Old 09-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
lizad777
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I so wish I had a local babyweraing group. To my knowledge there isn't one. Just incase someone knows of one I live near Fresno,CA Thanks