Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2006, 11:06 PM   #11
mom22lilguys
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Boys and hair length, what do you do?

My boys are 3 and 7. They have always had really short hair, shaved and crew cuts.
My 7 year old didn't want his hair cut last time so it is a bit longer now than usual but i expect him to get tired of washing it and he will want it shaved off again this summer. I will leave it up to him as long is it is clean and reasonably neat it is fine with me. My 3 year old asked me for his last haircut and told his aunt who is our hairdresser how to cut it "the buzzer on the back and snips at the top"

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2006, 01:54 AM   #12
aschrimp
Registered Users

The tradition in our family is for boys to not get their first hair cut until after they are a year old, so ds's hair is over his ears now, and I LOVE it. I had to bargain with dh to keep it long until after a year, but I think we may have to renegotiate...

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:53 AM   #13
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom
They're at an age where they need a little room in making little decisions on how to cut they're hair. Don't get me wrong, I HATE long hair on guys and that was the "in" thing when I was in high school...but you have to let them learn and grow
ITA

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:07 AM   #14
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well looks like I'm in the minority with this, but my DH and I had kind of come to a compromise about it. They can grow it out provided they keep it neat...and keep that flying bird wing above their ears tucked back until it grows out long enough to lay down (I swear it looks like straw sticking out the side of their heads, drives me batty). There's always a hat! I think some guys look great with long hair, and some just can't manage it. My 2 yo would probably be adorable with longer hair as his is very wavy and full, but I just like it shorter. So, now the boys have the same rule as the girls do (and yes, the girls do have a rule about having their hair long) Start looking like a rat took up nesting in your hair, and off it goes! (and no Cousin It either, I want to be able to see their eyes)
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:09 AM   #15
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

yeah, i'm totally not a fan of long hair on guys either. i will say that i think that longish (not really like 80s hair band long - more like 60s shaggy) is very in with the teenage crowds i see at the moment. i'd say that if i chose not to fit that battle with an older child, my caveat would be that they need to keep it at least looking decent - getting a trim to get rid of scraggle, etc. now i'm not sure about a younger child who's aversion might be to getting hair cut rather than short hair per se....
Old 06-15-2006, 09:18 AM   #16
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

I have always kept my sons hair nice and short, just how I like it. He got his first haircut at 1 year old and it hasn't been longer than a few inches since (he's now 11 1/2). Over the winter he decided he wanted to grow his hair out kinda like a skater. I laughed inside because the poor boy diodn't realize that he had such thick wavy hair. I told him sure, I could use a break in the hair cutting costs (seriously every 6 weeks) and let him have at it. By week 9 or 10 he had had it. His hair looked to poofy and there was nothing he could do with it. He has now decided short hair is right for him. A tthat age they need to feel like they can make decisions no matter how minor it is. Hair can be cut and it will grow back so just keep and open mind and let him make the choice.

Last edited by GrowingUpMad; 06-15-2006 at 09:28 AM.
GrowingUpMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:04 AM   #17
firethorn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our boys have worn it both ways. Long and short I mean. I have a BIG issue with scraggly. DH is wearing his long (to the shoulder blades) because I LOVE it. It's straight black and lustrous. (He is Native American and this is cultural in a sense.)
My boys like to wear it long but it is always well kep, just like the girls.
Both DH and the boys know I like it long and try to please me but all three get fed up with the heat and wak it off now and then. I let them know i don't mind. I realy don't. I just happen to like it long as well.
Our daughters wear theirs to their waist. I do as well unless I donate it. We have all done this at times.

So I think it is a matter of weather or not it will be well kep and not the length its self.
firethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #18
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In retrospect I think my comments about my DSS might sound harsh, so I wanted to clarify that I have never made these comments to him directly, I would never do that...I guess I was just speaking my thoughts on this forum, since I don't speak them outloud here. Part of my frustration with this subject is that my 13 yo DD has come home to tell me that the kids on the bus have made fun of DS head size, and I'm just afraid long hair will make it more pronounced (aside from the fact that I don't like long hair on boys). He's had a tough six months...a lot of issues have surfaced with direct relation to the tragic passing of his biological mother over a year ago (drug overdose) and it's taken a while for my DH to get to the bottom of it (the boy refused to go to counseling). I guess I am just afraid it might cause more issues in the long run, but we'll see, I could be just overreacting. I know he needs to express himself and his individuality. If we can do that and make both of us happy, without looking like a scraggly mutt, then I guess I'll be satisfied.
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #19
rliszkowski
Registered Users
seller

It's okay, my dss has a big head too. He also has a birth mark on his knee and kids at school were making fun of him. He was really upset and wanted to know why he is the only one in the family with the ugly birthmark. I almost suggested he wear pants to school to hide it. Then I thought (to myself) "are you crazy, you are going to give this kid a complex".
rliszkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #20
raversangel
Banned

i'd personally leave it up to the child...my eldest shaves his head with daddy, the younger is getting his first hair cut (1yo) b/c he is constantly pulling his hair and acts like it is bothering him....with my brothers the experiance has been that they want to do it to be different and other various boy reasons but in a month or two they begged mom to cut it...so i'd let him keep it how he wishes and see if the taunting bothers him or if he decides it gets in the way then cut it i've even given my ds a mowhawk before and dyed it blue for him...lol...you shoulda seen the stares at the grocery store its honestly up to you mum
raversangel is offline   Reply With Quote