Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

anyone else GBS+ and have issues with antibiotics?

I am planning a homebirth but tested positive for GBS. I don't know exact numbers, will find out tomorrow but alternative treatment options will depend on that.

Midwife can and will administer IV abx at home BUT I'm allergic to penicillin, clindamycin previously made me itchy and vancomycin made my skin burn when it was given to me before surgery. Anyone else have issues with antibiotics but find some that successfully treated their GBS? anything I try will be administered for the first time in a doctor's office or hospital prior to labor in case of reaction (hopefully she doesn't decide to come before then)

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: anyone else GBS+ and have issues with antibiotics?

I'm allergic it Keflex and was GBS+ for my last birth. I was induced, so I got the vancomycin. Lucky for me no problems.

I've read that douching with Hibclens (sp?) will knock everything out. Hibclens is the type of soap that surgeons wash with before surgery. It's available in the drug store and not too expensive. Might be behind the counter, but no Rx needed. 6 bucks for a bottle that lasts a long time. I confered with a mw for this pregnancy for a HB and discussed the same issue with her. She said there is a protocol for using hibiclens this way. Look it up online but I'm sure your mw will know too.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I am allergic to augmentin, but got vancomycin during my 6th pregnancy. No reaction. You can ask for benedryl to ward off a reaction.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would do the hibicleanse washes. It is used in Europe and has many studies showing it to be as effective as antibiotics.

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
I am allergic to augmentin, but got vancomycin during my 6th pregnancy. No reaction. You can ask for benedryl to ward off a reaction.
This is going to be our ultimate plan I think. Upon researching vanco I remembered that the surgeons gave it to me WAY too fast and it caused an immediate flushing which is very common. When given slowly, as it is supposed to be given this very rarely happens. I have an appt tomorrow with my midwife's back up doctor to get a prescription for it and we'll order it through our infusion company (we fortunately own a home healthcare company and MIL can start an IV very early in labor before the midwife even gets here!)

I had a urine sample sent in today to make sure it's not in there since that would indicate the definite need of abx and have used a hibiclens rinse today, going to be reswabbed tomorrow and hope the results come before the baby does! if they don't we will definitely just go with the abx, if the reswab and urine come back negative we may go with just rinsing up until and during labor and then close monitoring, using the abx if water is broken too long etc... lots to think about, hoping this little lady stays in a few days past her due date! (friday)
Old 09-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesej View Post
I would do the hibicleanse washes. It is used in Europe and has many studies showing it to be as effective as antibiotics.
This was not my understanding, do you know where I can read these studies?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by weesej
No it is not. The only effective remedy for GBS is IV antibiotics. In countries where antibiotics are not available, they use the wash. Something is better than nothing but it certainly is not a blanket remedy.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
Michellelg
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm mobile so I don't have a link handy, but I just read a study published in an important medical journal that showed that hibiclens washes were equally as effective as IV antibiotics. I'll post it later from the pc, just wanted to pipe in so I won't forget this thread
Old 09-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Michellelg
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh, and lots of other industrialized countries with access to antibiotics choose the wash. It isn't only a matter of the "availability" of antibiotics.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
Erinne
Registered Users

I didn't bother with testing because I knew I wouldn't be able to take the drugs anyway, but I just did a lot of raw pickled garlic and plain yogurt orally and a clove of garlic "up there" once (gross! ). Some important things to know about GBS are that if you are tested weeks before the birth, the results are basically invalid because your status can change regularly, and even when the mom does test + right before birth, the risk to the baby is still quite low. It's been a while since I seriously researched it, but I remember being very comfortable with my decision 3 years ago.