Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you 2 different types of birth?

1st birth i was induced at a birthing center 36 weeks. i was planning on going natural but by 8 cm i was done so i got a spinal and epidural.

2nd birth i went in in hospital and delivered 2 hours later. they would not let me do anything but lay in the bed strapped to an iv and monitor the whole time. i had planned on getting an epi but by the time the guy got there after i took a bag of abx the epi didnt even kick in by the time i delivered. i also side effects from the epi and i felt that i never should have gotten it

3rd i decided to have an unassisted homebirth, the exp was amazing and the level of pain i experienced was so much less and being in my own home instead of stuck in a hospital for 3 days after was wonderful

Advertisement

Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a hospital birth with ds1 which included epidural and vacuum extraction. I had a homebirth with ds2. I preferred my homebirth far more, and it was such an amazing experience. I am planning another homebirth now and hope everything goes well so I can experience it again.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
EcoNaturalBaby
Registered Users

Three different birth atmospheres : )

Baby #1 Hospital with epidural. I was numbed me completely as per my request (fear). I was so excited to have my first baby I didn't care where I was. I didn't even sleep after a long labor.

Baby #2 Hospital with epidural. I hated the way I felt, not in control or more like I was being controlled. After the birth was the worst with them always coming into my room to do something and not allowing me to sleep one bit. I had some post-partum depression due to the whole birth experience. I did not have it with any of the other three births.

Baby #3 Home birth (water birth in my Jacuzzi) with midwife and doula. Amazing, amazing, amazing!

Baby #3 Birthing center (because they didn't have anyone doing homebirths in the area I moved to.) Very nice experience, not as good as the home birth but they were so good to me and I was in control.

Amanda
EcoNaturalBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
an_aurora
Registered Users

I had my first in the hospital with an epidural and the other two at home.

My first was the most painful by far! The other two were easy, fast and pretty much pain free.

I did non-stress tests twice a week during the last couple weeks of DD2's pregnancy due to decreased fetal movement, and the nurses at the hospital were all incredulous about my plans to have a homebirth, especially after they learned that I'd had an epidural with the first birth. They made me nervous! Luckily DD2's birth was super easy and literally the only pain I had at all was the moment she crowned, and it wasn't super painful at all, only a little uncomfortable. I wanted to send the nurses at the hospital a picture and a note saying it went well
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
lil Roos mama Bear
Registered Users
seller

Thank You Ladies. It is reassuring to hear that even though you didn't have an Epidural you had a good experience. My mom is pressuring me to have a hospital with a epidural again but I had really don't think I will be able to do that again unless we had complications. She keeps putting scary ideas in my head. So it is nice to hop on here and see that all goes good and is a much happier atmosphere. I've finally come to the understanding that my normal delivery was made hard and abnormal by the hospital staff and I think I could have another baby if I was confident that I could be more comfortable and in control next time. We are looking at Birthing centers later this month and talking to Midwives. I'm not Pregnant yet but Seeing is believing for me. All I've ever know or been told about was hospital births so I would like to see a natural birthing center and learn about that. I'm hoping that will be what gets me over this last fear. Thank You for sharing your stories.
ISO: Board and fabric books, fitted diapers, and table cloth wraps/ring slings.
lil Roos mama Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #16
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil Roos mama Bear View Post
Thank You Ladies. It is reassuring to hear that even though you didn't have an Epidural you had a good experience. My mom is pressuring me to have a hospital with a epidural again but I had really don't think I will be able to do that again unless we had complications. She keeps putting scary ideas in my head. So it is nice to hop on here and see that all goes good and is a much happier atmosphere. I've finally come to the understanding that my normal delivery was made hard and abnormal by the hospital staff and I think I could have another baby if I was confident that I could be more comfortable and in control next time. We are looking at Birthing centers later this month and talking to Midwives. I'm not Pregnant yet but Seeing is believing for me. All I've ever know or been told about was hospital births so I would like to see a natural birthing center and learn about that. I'm hoping that will be what gets me over this last fear. Thank You for sharing your stories.
mama

Also, it is really good to educate yourself about how emergencies are handled at birth center or homebirth births. Most midwives have to have lots of training and meet certain requirements, pass certain tests, etc. In addition, many (I'd actually venture to say MOST - but I'm not sure about other state's req's) carry things like oxygen, pitocin in case of heavy bleeding, an infant resuscitation device thing (don't know the name), a scalpel in case they have to perform an emergency episiotomy to get the baby out faster, numbing agent and suturing kit to sew you up if you tear super bad, and on and on.

I am really confident that if more people were made aware of just HOW educated and experienced and PREPARED many midwives are, they would not think out of hospital births (for normal, healthy, low risk mothers and pregnancies) are very dangerous.

There are also a LOT of other protocols they have to follow. For instance for homebirths you are required to be less than a certain distance from a hospital that can treat you in an emergency. You also have to do a risk assessment and be very low risk.

Again, these are just the requirements in my state where I live. But, if you were to research and find your own state's laws, it could make you feel like more comfortable. You can't make an informed decision without all the info. So take the time you need to scope it out. Ask the hard questions you need to - all of the "what if's" that no one wants to consider - and listen to the answers.

Best wishes on your choice!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Dd1 - induced hospital birth, epidural, episiotomy, vacuum extract - not the best experience. Healing took a while too.

Because of that experience I had a home water birth with dd2 and it was great. I honestly don't remember the pain much at all and would do it again in a heartbeat. Healing went much much better this time around too.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #18
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could you get a Doula to help support you?
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #19
lil Roos mama Bear
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Could you get a Doula to help support you?
when we do get Pregnant I'm sure I could get a doula for support. I'm hoping to be able to let go of some of the emotional trauma from my first birth by learning about better ways to give birth. My family has only ever had hospital births so it is all I've ever known. And it is hard to think about getting pregnant when the only out come you can see is the one you had before. My husband wasn't supportive of the idea of home birth until I talked to him about how I felt emotionally when our son was born and that It was the way I was treated that I want to change. Now He is wants me to be comfortable and supported in what ever way I need. However his family is a bit on the extreme natural path and he is weary of heading down the same path. The only ones in the room will be our midwife, doula, my husband and possibly our son. I'm hoping it will be a more special moment for us with out 12 family members gawking at me while our next child is delivered.
ISO: Board and fabric books, fitted diapers, and table cloth wraps/ring slings.
lil Roos mama Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #20
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DD1 & 2 were induced hosp births w epis. DD3 & 4 were natural BC water births. Even though the births 1 & 2 went fine and I had good experiences, I much prefer births 3 & 4. I felt much more in charge of my birth and not held back. I was able to move around and eat as I pleased and use the water during labor and birth! I loved having a water birth and if we have another I'll do it again. The pain wasn't anything I couldn't handle and the water did help.