Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
bezbabe
Registered Users
seller

local classifieds sale - possible scammer?

so i listed all my dipes on a local classifieds site and i have this lady emailing me about my lot of g-diapers asking if i can ship them to her. she says she has family here but lives in ontario (i am in alberta) and she is willing to pay the shipping. i've had emails before from people who are obvious scammers and she doesn't sound like them (she even joined here because i asked if she was on here so i could check for feedback...not that she has any feedback since she just joined but at least i know she's a real person). so i guess what i'm wondering is, is there a way for me to protect myself? like will paypal be enough? or should i ask for an email money transfer? or should i just say "better safe than sorry" and walk away?

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: local classifieds sale - possible scammer?

Paypal will be fine. Get tracking in case she says she hasn't gotten package.

I actually started my cding journey by looking at craigslist and the location of the gal was too far for me (she was having a garage sale) and no really good place in the middle to meet. We did everything through paypal. I got package fine minus a few inserts,although, she didn't feel like I should get a partial refund (because she was positive she packaged with everything we discussed)of what I figured each part of the diapers were worth and to account for the missing, paypal sided with me that if I didn't get I shouldn't have to pay. They thought my request for refund was reasonable and gave me it back. I feel like using paypal is insurance from scammers that's also why I support DS here on tracking information and to not do transactions as personal.

There were a few out of the state I did too and never got the diapers and it helps to keep site address as a referral thing to tell paypal. I got my money back from those as well.

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 09-24-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: wanted to add something
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I agree. Use paypal. Insist she pay with goods. Take lots of pics. Get delivery confirmation. Although paying personl leaves the buyer unprotected not you the seller so I suppose that isn't quite as much a concern as taking plenty of pics and getting delivery confirmation.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

and make sure she pays you through REAL paypal. Not an email that says you can claim it once it's delivered. A lot of people DO buy from out of town Craigslists legitimately, but you do still want to be careful
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

If she's in Canada then she'll have to pay to have delivery confirmation in order for paypal to cover you. That gets REALLY expensive. But as long as she's willing to do that up front and you've got the transaction details written out (make sure you describe any possible imperfection so she couldn't say they're "not as described") then I'd do it. Maybe.

But I don't like shipping to Canada. Mostly bc it requires walking into the PO with my kids and filling out extra papers. I'm lazy. Lol.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

OP is also canadian
Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1
OP is also canadian
Ah! That makes more sense!!

Nevermind! :-)
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
RaveStuart
Registered Users

local classifieds sale - possible scammer?

When you show interest in the item, the scammer may claim that they are travelling or have moved overseas and that an agent will deliver the goods following receipt of payment. Following payment you may receive a fake email receipt claiming to be from the website’s secure payment provider, however, once you send money, you won’t receive the goods and will not be able to contact the seller.
RaveStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
Mamaleah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As long as you use paypal and have the money secured (not a pending payment) then I don't see what is wrong with it. Make sure you take lots of pics and send it properly. I look on craigslist for places around my state for items...but usually only where I know I am going to be or where I can have family pick up for me.
SAHM to Keila 9/08 and Brycen 10/10. Expecting #3 ~Our Rainbow Baby~ March 2015!
Mamaleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
mommasave36
Registered Users
seller

I shop on CL listings near my mom in another state. BUT i have her pay for them and then ship them to me herself. So she inspects on site before purchase. Would her family be willing to pick it up and mail it to her? You should be safe as long as you pay through pp like others said. But make sure the items are described properly so she can't say "items weren't as described" and file for a refund. Good luck!