Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can someone give me permission to...

take a very long break while I'm finishing up this pregnancy and getting used to a new baby?

I wasn't planning to stop schooling my 1st grader until I went into labor. I'm 37wks now. Because of my history, we have no idea when to expect this baby, but probably between now and 39wks. All I can think about is keeping my house spotless and everything completely done and ready for everyone to converge on my house when I do go into labor. Because I have 6 kids who are 6 and under, that's a very time consuming job even with them helping. I clean, clean, clean in the AM and then I'm tired and rest in the afternoon before making dinner and then picking it all up again before bed.

We took the last 2wks off because we had SO many appts. I was supposed to start back up yesterday and I just can't seem to focus on anything except my house and getting ready for labor/baby. (All the stuff for baby is done except one thing, but I'm trying to keep on top of everything else so nothing is left undone and there is food for people to eat and stuff like that.)

Anyone end up taking off a lot of time around a new baby because of just feeling like they couldn't focus at the end? I was planning to take off about a month after the baby is born. So, if I don't do anything before he is born, it will end up being closer to 6wks. And, I feel like my reasoning right now for not getting it done is.......silly.

I keep thinking after I....get the playroom picked up, clean my wood floor, re-vacuum the family room, fold this laundry...then, I'll be able to focus on doing school. But, it never ends.

Anyone with experience want to share how they handled it? Or, anyone want to tell me it's okay to just break till after baby?

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can someone give me permission to...

Well, you are doing better than me! At just 4 days behind you, I will be 37 wks on Friday. And I am sitting on my butt on the couch because I am afraid that if I get up and pick up the living room-like 4 blankets, 2 pillows, DD2's dirty jeans, about 15 toys, the shirt DD3 stripped out of an hour ago, the hood from car seat that DD2 pulled off of it 2 hrs ago, etc etc, I might just throw up. Not to mention that bending over tends to trigger more contractions and they hurt. And I am miserable.

IOW, my house is the OPPOSITE of spotless, I am not even a homeschooler, and I am doing nothing at all. My 2 girls have been been watching tv all morning. So the fact that you are even cleaning, well IMO that in itself is amazing to me, let alone trying to homeschool all those kids!
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Permission granted!!! I took massive time off last year when I was expecting. And we did end up having to go into the summer a little more than I wanted, but all's well that ends well. Better to take a break now, than push through and burn out. You want to be at peace with things as much as possible when that little bundle arrives and stressing over school isn't going to help that. *HUGS* momma!
Jedimomma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I will give you permission. Not that you need it! You're very pregnant, you have several kiddos, and if you are tired, you're tired. You're son won't end up a messed-up homeless loser because you took a six week break. He will be fine, and so will you! I do understand your concern though, because it seems like people (mostly non-hsers) are judgmental about this kind of thing and there is so much pressure to be able to do everything. Well you can't. No one can. Do what you can do and what you feel like doing and don't feel guilty!
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
You got it! We have taken so much time off this year for family visiting, moving, the flu, vacations. Im due dec 21 and plan on taking 6wks off but if I need more time so be it. Its the beauty of homeschooling

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you everyone!!! We school year round, so we plan to go over the summer anyway. I think Jen hit it on the head about feeling pressure from others. I know my IL's will not approve and will think he isn't going to learn and that he will end up not getting into college and then being homeless or criminals. They already asked him last week how school was going and he said, "Fine, except that we never do it!" :headbang: Luckily, I was right there and was able to say that we were just taking a break and are already a quarter of the way through is 1st grade curriculum. But, I know it's going to come up again with them. *sigh*

Thanks for your understanding words and encouragement. I know I didn't exactly need permission, but I guess I just wanted to hear from other HS'ing moms that it's totally acceptable and will work out in the end. So, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Well, you are doing better than me! At just 4 days behind you, I will be 37 wks on Friday. And I am sitting on my butt on the couch because I am afraid that if I get up and pick up the living room-like 4 blankets, 2 pillows, DD2's dirty jeans, about 15 toys, the shirt DD3 stripped out of an hour ago, the hood from car seat that DD2 pulled off of it 2 hrs ago, etc etc, I might just throw up. Not to mention that bending over tends to trigger more contractions and they hurt. And I am miserable.

IOW, my house is the OPPOSITE of spotless, I am not even a homeschooler, and I am doing nothing at all. My 2 girls have been been watching tv all morning. So the fact that you are even cleaning, well IMO that in itself is amazing to me, let alone trying to homeschool all those kids!
I'm sorry you are so miserable. I actually am very miserable too. Cleaning up gives me lots of strong contractions, especially any bending over, and by the end of the day I'm so swollen in my feet and hands they really hurt. Sunday, I sat on the couch all day because I was having some serious belly pain, not uterus, and I was a basket case crying a lot. One of my issues is severe RLS. Even if I want to sit down and rest, my legs start going crazy and it spills over into an extreme sensitivity to touch. So, when I sit down, I'm really miserable because my legs won't stop and my kids can't seen to stop touching them which makes me want to scream or my uterus which causes almost non-stop contractions. Because of that, getting up and moving is better. Plus, I do have a very strong anxiety about people seeing my house "messy" or thinking I don't have my act together. Most people think my house is spotless all the time when really it's a big mess unless someone is coming. My need to look organized and together is so strong that I ignore any physical issues I'm having, which isn't good either and is a big part of why I'm having a hospital birth. Believe me, I wish I could just ignore it and some days I do.

And, my kids are watching WAY too much TV also and they are eating junk because I'm struggling to get anything quality made for them.

You are listening to your body and that really is the best thing you can do, IMHO. The house will keep and people really do understand. I'm just nuts.

Thank you for all the support you've given me. Both in this thread and others.

I hope our babies both make a smooth and "early" entrance into our families.

Thank you!!! We school year round, so we plan to go over the summer anyway. Thanks for your understanding words and encouragement.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 09-25-2012 at 11:19 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You seem to be nesting. I give you the permission to take a break. But you are the one who has to give yoruself a permission.

I'm due 12/13.

I have been nauseous throughout the pregnancy, and have hip pain, and high blood pressure from being pregnant (not too bad, but high average to little too high level), so I'm taking it easy.

What I started doing is finding activities children can do by themselves. I signed my son up for clever dragons website so he can study by himself.
I think having other medias like educational dvds, educational games, etc will be helpful too.

I bought tons of 99 cents e books for my children to do focusing on the ones they can do by themselves.

I write down what my 7 year old can do by himself so he can read the list and check them one by one.

I think it's totally ok for you to take a break. Take it easy.
Maybe you can take teacheable moments to educate your children sometimes, like while you are watching a tv show, if there is an animal in the show, you can talk about where the animal's habitat is... what letter that animal's name starts with, etc etc (depending on which child you are speaking to).

Older ones can read some books for younger ones as well.

They can also help you clean the house. I know with young ones, sometimes that means even more works for you. lol

Perhaps you can do your cleanings before bedtime so you don't have to pick up the same things more than once every day.

You can also make a list for your family to do while you are at the hospital so they will have a sense of responsibility as far as what area they should focus on cleaning and what you expect.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
littlemsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just took over a month off because I was on bed rest and ended up delivering baby boy at 38 weeks and just couldn't get back into things. I'm still having a hard time getting into it. But will take any time off that I need.

I say take the time off!!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

I say take the time off. Maybe in the meantime (to ease the pressure from others) you can get him some basic workbooks to work on daily-- if he will. If not, don't worry about it. You'll catch up. I think it's so hard even for us homeschooling moms to see outside of the structure of PS sometimes.

I'm due the same day as you and after doing to mountain of dishes this morning (we don't have a dishwasher) I feel like I deserve to sleep the rest of the day! Mine are insisting that we do school though so I guess we will. We've already practiced Bible Verse and Books of the Bible while I was washing so I'll have to pony up and do some other things with them.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannondicarpo View Post
I say take the time off. Maybe in the meantime (to ease the pressure from others) you can get him some basic workbooks to work on daily-- if he will. If not, don't worry about it. You'll catch up. I think it's so hard even for us homeschooling moms to see outside of the structure of PS sometimes.

I'm due the same day as you and after doing to mountain of dishes this morning (we don't have a dishwasher) I feel like I deserve to sleep the rest of the day! Mine are insisting that we do school though so I guess we will. We've already practiced Bible Verse and Books of the Bible while I was washing so I'll have to pony up and do some other things with them.
Ha, ha on the dishes! Dishes is one thing I won't really do. We do have a dishwasher. I'll put the plates and easy stuff in there, but I leave everything that has to be hand washed for my husband at night. If he doesn't do them, I will, but only if I have to. Today, I've been so tired I've only done a little picking up. I'm going to get dinner in the oven in a few minutes and then get the kids to pick up. They can pick up and do a little cleaning, but because of their age, I have to do most of the actual cleaning.

We do practice our Bible verses everyday for AWANA. The weekly one for school has fallen by the wayside with school. Mine have been wanting to do school too. They have been asking, which is probably adding to me feeling guilty about not doing it. They have been doing a lot of self directed crafts.

I feel more productive when we are doing school too. Maybe we can start back doing a little bit at a time tomorrow.

Angel - Yes, I am nesting a bit. At around 27wks, I started nesting like never before. This is my 4th pregnancy and I've never experienced it like this. The anxiety over people seeing my house messy is not a pregnancy thing. But, my house has been really picked up and clean and practically company ready (or within 20 minutes of it) since I hit the 3rd trimester. I feel like a different person. I hope it sticks, at least a little. I'm sorry you are nauseous. I've struggled with it too. I was very nauseous until around 22wks. It went away and then came back at about 26wks, though not quite as bad. It stopped again around 32wks and I haven't had much since then. Other than crazy contractions I get, I actually feel better now than I did in the 2nd trimester. I hope the same happens for you. Thanks for the suggestions.