Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #31
emilyrebekah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That girl is a spoiled brat. Nobody bought me a car when I was 24! One car was purchased for me at 19, but my mom used money from the life ins she received when my dad died, and declared it my "inheritance." :eyeroll: I think it's generous you are willing to outright give her one of your vehicles, especially when you could sell it and use that funding toward your new vehicle.

Advertisement

Last edited by emilyrebekah; 09-26-2012 at 07:48 AM.
emilyrebekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #32
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Even when you save you just can't win

Huh?? That's nuts! You all don't work hard so you can pay everyone else's bills. I would have said not only no, but hell no!
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #33
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_arnold View Post
Huh?? That's nuts! You all don't work hard so you can pay everyone else's bills. I would have said not only no, but hell no!
Haha, no kidding right? His family doesn't dare ask me for such favors but DH is a passive guy and known for being "too nice."
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #34
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

We've been given vehicles in the past, and have always been grateful. Our current vehicle was given to us - my parents came into an inheritance, bought my mother a brand new car and gave us her old one. But we were in the process of saving for a new vehicle (our old van was held together by white paint and prayers), we certainly didn't expect someone to hand us a car. I'd be just ornery enough to sell my cars rather than give her one like I planned after a comment like that.

We're starting to get it from the other end now. No one bugged us for money because we were the poor folks of the family. VERY occasionally FIL would ask for $20 for gas to make it until his check came in, but he absolutely hated doing that and would always pay us back and have us over for dinner or something in thanks. We've turned our situation right around and our income has doubled over the last few years, and we're both very proud of that, so DH made some offhanded comment about having a 5 digit savings account now in front of his brother who has breathtakingly bad planning skills, and the very next words out of his brother's mouth was "Can I borrow 3 grand?" This brother has, no lie, just demoed the entire first floor of his house and they're living in trailer while he works 60h/week and tries to put it together mostly by himself. And surprise! He's running into issues he didn't plan on and his wife is about to have a panic attack because she's finally seeing that they won't be back in the house before it really turns cold. They have 2 little kids too. I've told DH he is not to offer, but if they're desparate he can loan them up to $500, and if they pay it back, we can offer them that again. But I'm a big believer in not lending more than I can afford to lose. We can afford to lose a few hundred. We cannot afford to lose a few THOUSAND. That and they just went through bankruptcy, so their financial planning skills are on par with their planning skills in general. The scary part is he alone makes more than DH and I combined. And my SIL works too. They don't pay daycare, they do have some child support for his older son. If they'd plan better, they could be in way better shape than we are, but they don't want to.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #35
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

It always amazes me when I read about how people expect to just be given things. I can't even imagine asking one of my siblings for a car or money, let alone just expecting them to offer it. I have borrowed money from my parents in the past for a car, and they agreed so that I wouldn't have to pay interest to the bank. But I paid them back. You can tell the sister that some random stranger on the internet thinks she is insane
Old 09-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #36
drabekgirl
Registered Users

I was working ft and pt and saving to buy myself a car by walking to work. really my dad bought my first car for me for $100 (no pwd steering, no radio or dome light, and the gas line leaked) than i went away for a 6 wk trip and my mother put a dent in my car (she wasn't supposed to be using it, but I didn't want it to be broken into in town). I only upgraded after marrying a guy who had a better vehicle than mine, and yes he had a vehicle that I loved driving. He gave it to his sister for her NON working car 2 years ago, I've still not gotten over that.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #37
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aside from the whole expectation of giving a sibling that kind of money, it blows my mind that a 24 year would need/expect that kind of help! At 24 I'd been married for 3 years and was pg with our second child. No one ever gave dh or I a car. We each bought our own as young adults then downsized to one when we got married and moved across country.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #38
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ha-ha-ha! That is the funniest thing (though frustrating for you, sorry) I have heard in a long time.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #39
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They are out of their mind!! no way would I do that!
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #40
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mini update:

10/02/12
Well, we finally got a new (to us) vehicle over the weekend. We traveled out of state to get a better deal and DH texted his sister and let her know that we found a vehicle and were willing to GIVE her our old Honda Accord. (The dealership actually offered us only $100 to trade in our car!!!)

We let her know that the mileage was high and that the transmission had issues, but that the car was perfectly drivable and had been able to make it over 100 miles a day for the past few years without ever breaking down. We even said we were willing to stick with the old car but it was a 6 cylinder and cost too much in gas expenses, but since she didn't drive far, she could definitely have it. We let her know that the car was due to be reregistered in another 2 weeks so she'd have to go pay for that, as well as what the state would tax the car at when she did the paperwork.

SHE REFUSED US. She said she didn't want to put any money into a car that wouldn't last (no one ever said it wouldn't last...) and that she would rather have us sell it and give that money to her.

DH had a moment of stealthy silence. Then he said "If you don't want the car and don't want to bother selling it yourself, then I'll keep it and profit from it for me and my family." He really emphasized MY FAMILY so she knew that he meant his own kids and his wife, and not his siblings.

He later on said that he did feel bad but he knows that it isn't his responsibility to provide for his siblings or his parents anymore.

Self-entitlement much, in laws????
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote