Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Tips for install of Radian XTSL in Honda Odyssey & where on ds to sell?

I am having the hardest time getting a solid install in my Odyssey. I am trying to put a Radian xtsl ff in the 2nd row captains chair for my almost 4 year old ds. I can't seem to get a good install with latch, and he is almost 40 lbs., so I am just going with the seatbelt install, and still not getting it tight. It seems like it is, but then I realize I can pull in out away from the seat quite easily. I think the seatbelt parts are making me unable to get it tight, so I tried twisting the stalk a few times and that doesn't seem to help. I am also having a hard time with his brother's seat. Exact same seat, second row, but rf (he is 18 months). I can get a good install with latch, but is wiggles loose very easily, so then move on to seatbelt install and it seems okay...
I am really just ready to sell these seats and go with whatever else would be recommended for their age/size. I only bought the radians because I needed to get 3 across, but now I don't anymore. I have moved my dd to the 3rd row in a booster (she is 8). So, help? Or advice on listing here fsot? And what to replace with?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Last edited by stephcrouse; 09-25-2012 at 02:52 PM.
stephcrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tips for install of Radian XTSL in Honda Odyssey & where on ds to sell?

I had a really hard time with Radians in my Ody because of the belt geometry--coming off the floor makes seatbelt installs tricky. Radian does go in rock solid and fairly easily in the way back FF though. Luckily, for us, putting DD in the way back was an option. However, we moved the Radian to DH's Accord and got her a Frontier, and I like it a million times better.

For the captains chair, recline the seat partway, put it in as tight as you can, then push the seat back up, then do the top tether. It helps get it in tighter.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
idnar82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have an 09 Odyssey and have had no problems at all. I first had my Radian XTSL installed FF with LATCH in a Captains chair and got in in there rock solid and then I got in an accident and now I have a Diono Radian RXT in there RF and I was able to get it in there very tightly as well. I also use the tip mentioned above for RF. I recline the Captains seat a bit, tighten the carseat in nicely and then pull it (the captain seat back) back up. Its rock solid for me that way. I replaced my FF radian after the accident with a Britax Frontier though and it is very nice in the Odyssey as well! I am trying to picture how the install isn't going well for you :-( Maybe its because I haven't tried mine with a seatbelt. I am not looking forward to that!! My 17 month old is still only 21lbs so we have a long way to go! I hope you can get your seats to work!! I love my Odyssey and my Radian!!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I think it's because when I use latch, the ff path is so high compared to the latch clips hook on points which are basically under the edge of the seat?
For the rf seat the latch buckle just comes loose after about a day of driving so I don't feel like that is very safe. Maybe I need to take a video of an install attempt. I need my ff seat to be on the right side of the car for carpool, but maybe I can slide the right captain over and put him in the third row ...
Old 09-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcrouse View Post
I think it's because when I use latch, the ff path is so high compared to the latch clips hook on points which are basically under the edge of the seat?
For the rf seat the latch buckle just comes loose after about a day of driving so I don't feel like that is very safe. Maybe I need to take a video of an install attempt. I need my ff seat to be on the right side of the car for carpool, but maybe I can slide the right captain over and put him in the third row ...
The coming loose is a known Radian/Odyssey problem. Please report the issues you are having to the NHTSA. We tried to get a recall started last year and they "couldn't replicate the problem" which is total BS.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I ordered the parkway for my daughter (the 8 year old), but I am going to return it an get her the frontier85. If I like it, I may get another one for my DS and put the radian in my DH's car.
I will keep my younger DS in his radian as long as he is rf, as I feel like I can get a good seatbelt rf install. I guess I need to go get it checked to be sure.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is there a reason your 8 year old still needs to be harnessed? Statistically, there is no evidence that a neurotypical child is any safer harnessed than in a booster. The harness causes the head to fly forward, whereas in a booster, the head, neck and shoulder tend to stay more in a line, reducing neck loads. At 8, I'd keep the Parkway.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola

The coming loose is a known Radian/Odyssey problem. Please report the issues you are having to the NHTSA. We tried to get a recall started last year and they "couldn't replicate the problem" which is total BS.
Off topic. It how do I report this? I have two 2009 radian xtsls and both get loose with latch.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

You can report problems here.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

She likes the parkway okay, but wanted the cow print. I figured I could pass it on later to her brother. Perhaps I could put the parkway second row slid over and put ff radian in 3rd row. I read that the frontier 85 is just as much of n installation headache though. Maybe I just need a new car! it has been real puzzle putting everyone in the right place, where their seats allow good installs, but other seats/rows are still accessible past rf seats and seatbelts from slid over captains chairs, etc.