Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Umbilical hernia?

Since having my 2nd child (he's now 7) I have had a popped out spot on the top portion of my (former-innie) belly button. It looked like my belly button popped a pleat, so to speak.....if that makes sense. Just an ugly bulge, soft and fatty, no pain.
Last pregnancy, no problems with it.

This time (I'm 20 weeks) it is KILLING me. It really really hurts. Everytime I move/strain at all my whole stomach just aches and it's really just sore in general. I noticed tonight that the bulge is HUGE and really more pronounced than usual......If I push on it, it kind of clunks back in it's really kind of freaking me out.

Should I call my midwife? Does it even matter?

Rachel, WAHM to Serena (15) , Kaden (8) , Mathias (3) , and Ava (1-21-13)
almostcrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
My Mood:
Re: Umbilical hernia?

I had an umbilical hernia develop during/after my second pregnancy. Got worse with my 3rd pregnancy (though wearing a belly band until my uterus was big enough to cover hte spot helped a lot). I had it fixed when my 3rd LO was 5 weeks old. Suckiest thing ever (I've had 3 natural births and 2 at home) but it was necessary. I'm 37 weeks into my 4th pregnancy without any signs of problems with it.

I say mention it to your MW and plan on having it fixed once you deliver. It really does make life miserable with the pain.
Shannon ~ Wife to Kevin || 08.14.04
Mama to Nikolas Eli || 04.14.07, Kate Elise || 11.06.08,

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
Registered Users
Sounds exactly like my umbilical hernia. I'm 27 wks with #2 and it has finally stopped hurting so much. My dr said it's because my uterus has now moved up and is blocking the opening which is creating a barrier between the hernia and my "guts". I had a consult with a general surgeon this week and he is going to repair mine during my scheduled c-section in Dec. If you are planning to have more kids, my surgeon suggested not having it repaired until your family is complete unless of course your intestines become strangulated by the hernia. Definitely have you MW/Dr check it out to make sure your intestines aren't involved and I found wrapping an ace wrap around my belly button area very helpful to apply counter-pressure. Good luck!
Happily married to my prince charming and SAHM to R (2/2010) and L (12/2012)
romansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote