Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
brookglen
Registered Users

Jimmy legs!

21 weeks and my legs want to run a marathon at bedtime. Why does RLS happen during pregnancy? How do I make it stop? I'm going insane.

Advertisement

brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
RLS makes me want to punch someone in their face! Seriously, it's the worst! Caffeine makes mine worse during pregnancy. I read somewhere that people put a bar of ivory soap under their sheets to cure it! Google it!

There really is nothing you can do for it while pregnant.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
SashaE80
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Jimmy legs!

Low iron levels can be another culprit, I'd get that checked and make sure you are well hydrated.
SashaE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
sterlids
Registered Users
seller

oh i have rls NOT pregnant and let me tell it effing blows!!! my mom has it too, thanks mom. any who what helps me is taking a benadryl. now my mom has to take prescription meds but i know they aren't safe during pregnancy. i'd say try the benadryl and see if that works for you. that is safe to take during pregnancy. you can also try taking a nice warm bath before bed too. that is what i did during my first pregnancy. i took a bath every night and it worked then but since then my rls has gotten way worse.

OHHHH and exercise helps a lot. i know you're probably thinking that would make it worse but it actually helps.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

I put on a tight fitting pair of socks and put my feet under a pillow. The pressure on them helps a lot.

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

RLS is a symptom of anemia, so definitely get your iron levels checked.
Thus, increasing your iron (if you are anemic) can help with it. I find having DH rub/massage my legs can help sometimes. And sometimes there's nothing that will make any difference. Stupid RLS.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
brookglen
Registered Users

Okay so they took blood to do an iron level on Monday. It's not outside the realm of possibility since our meat intake is basically none existent.

Thanks for the advice. With my sinusitis and the legs and a kicking babe my sleep has been abysmal.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am anemic while pregnant! How come my doc never told me this? Crazy! Also, someone mentioned Benadryl, that makes mine way way worse!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
sterlids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
I am anemic while pregnant! How come my doc never told me this? Crazy! Also, someone mentioned Benadryl, that makes mine way way worse!
yes benadryl makes my mom's way worse as well. it just knocks me out so i don't even know, lol. if it gets pretty bad i'll have my hubby rub my lower back and that seems to help too.

i'm sure RLS is a symptom of anemia but the type that my mom has is all neurological. she has been run through the gamut of blood tests to figure it all out. she finally had a sleep study done and that woman has some crazy leg movements! i think she said the average is like 1500 a night or something like that and she had over 10,000 in one night. my poor mother. i really hope mine never gets that bad. she takes requip for her's. also, her legs start to bounce around 3ish in the afternoon and she can't take her requip until about an hour before she goes to bed or she gets really nauseated.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have RLS too and I am not anemic, iron levels are not always what causes it. Flexing my feet back and forth helps. I will have to try the tight socks and pressure thing. I tend to get it at night which is annoying because I need to REST!