Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

Fake Ergos...

If I can't afford a genuine one, are the fake ones functional enough to be *almost* as good?

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Fake Ergos...

No I would lookfor a used genuine one. Knock off have not passed and safety testing they do not have to have the same extra featuresuch as how the stitching is reenforced which can result in infant falls, we can draw our own conclusions of what can happen when a small infant falls.

I personally would look for used and try to trade with people. I have many time traded non cloth items for cloth or carriers, clean out the old jewelry box or clothes, or even sell those consignment and save up for a carrier.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #3
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momgoddess
If I can't afford a genuine one, are the fake ones functional enough to be *almost* as good?
If you can't afford a real one new look at getting one pre loved or a different type of carrier. The fake ones may or may not have the same safety features, quality of fabric, sewing and thread, and seem allowances and most definitely do not carry the same insurance in case something happens when you are using the carrier.

It if far better to get a less expensive name brand than to use a counterfeit, which amongst other things are illegal to mail.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #4
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
I wouldn't. Someone who makes/sells knock offs is just out to make some cash riding on the back of a quality name. There is no safety authority testing these knock offs, so you could seriously injure your LO.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #5
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've apparently been using a knock off for 18 months and had no idea until I heard about it on here. MIL got it on eBay for my SIL but SIL already had one, so I got it. No problems. I think all the safety feature stuff is a little over dramatized, but I would still look for a carrier that's made by a US retailer and make sure it's genuine.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #6
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon
I've apparently been using a knock off for 18 months and had no idea until I heard about it on here. MIL got it on eBay for my SIL but SIL already had one, so I got it. No problems. I think all the safety feature stuff is a little over dramatized, but I would still look for a carrier that's made by a US retailer and make sure it's genuine.
I am curious who does the safety testing for genuine products tho. Is it the company? Or an outside company? Just wondering how official it is.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:00 AM   #7
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon

I am curious who does the safety testing for genuine products tho. Is it the company? Or an outside company? Just wondering how official it is.
They have national or international standards they have to maintain in order to do business domestically and abroad. They also maintain insurance in case your baby falls and gets hurt while using their product. Just because something looks as good does not make them equal and just because a counterfeit did not fail on you doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

http://store.ergobaby.com/Content/AboutUs_CPSIA
Old 09-28-2012, 04:01 AM   #8
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Fake Ergos...

I think different cosumer safety companies do private tests but I think there are also federal regulations. I am not sure. I have always wondered with wahms. I know many baby wearing groups do extensive testing, but that is of course just individuals and not an organization.

In Germany öko test tests baby products and that is a very highly recognized consumer information source, but only in german as far as I know I mkay be wrong
Old 09-28-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1
I think different cosumer safety companies do private tests but I think there are also federal regulations. I am not sure. I have always wondered with wahms. I know many baby wearing groups do extensive testing, but that is of course just individuals and not an organization.

In Germany öko test tests baby products and that is a very highly recognized consumer information source, but only in german as far as I know I mkay be wrong
They have very high testing standards and are touted amongst fabric and product makers alike. Each country that allows the ergo for import should, for the most part, have a standard the ergo must meet or exceed or they would not be allowed to be sold in that country.

I linked to the American one but you would have to look up or ask for each counties certification. A lot of countries say if your product meets or exceeds the standards of this country, it will be allowed with proof and no further testing. Because of this most companies that do business globally try to obtain the highest level of certification possible to make global business less complicated and more efficient.

Wahms do not all go through the same sort of testing which can make them a risk to buy from. Just to put it all out there. However, some do quite extensive testing and research and development into their product and that should not be discounted. It is entirely possible that they would meet standards if they were tested. The big question that should be asked is how long have they been doing this product type. Sewing a baby carrier isn't hard, in the sense of the word but sewing one well with proper attention paid to all the important things is not as easy. It isn't like sewing a diaper that worse case it will leak. A bad carrier could end up with a hurt baby or worse!

In my opinion, there are very good but inexpensive options and going counterfeit is not one of them.