Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: washington
Posts: 1,035
My Mood:
bfing is so different this time around....

my supply is not as crazy big as last time. this time i have even wondered if i have enough milk. (altho i know thats always a fear and usually its just fine) she is a little tongue tied on top..which doctor thinks is ok since she is gaining weight she is obviously getting enough. but her latch is not as great as my sons was. she does have a tiny mouth tho too. she has this period right before bed (she sleeps thro the night without waking) where she nurses constantly and acts as tho i have nothing in me. when i break down and give her an ounce of formula she goes to sleep

Advertisement

__________________
proud sahm to maddisyn 5yrs old Jonah 2yrs old
Lilly 8.17.2012
luvthefluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Re: bfing is so different this time around....

What your describing sounds normal as far as her being clingy at night. It could be low supply but also related to her tongue tie. I'd rather get that problem addressed than give her formula.
That said, both of mine were super clingy at night and I had no supply issues, so there may not really be a problem.
__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: washington
Posts: 1,035
My Mood:
Re: bfing is so different this time around....

well the thing is, nursing during this "time" doesnt help. she acts starving, latches, pulls off and screams! she does has reflux too so maybe that plays a role. maybe its her colic time and has nothing to do with nursing? it gets frustrating after 2 hours of a screaming NB trying to eat but pulling off and screaming. I can usually pump a few ounces during the day so maybe each morning after nursing i will pump for that one bottle at night she has. that way it wont be formula. she has only had it a couple times but i HATE it
__________________
proud sahm to maddisyn 5yrs old Jonah 2yrs old
Lilly 8.17.2012
luvthefluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: washington
Posts: 1,035
My Mood:
Re: bfing is so different this time around....

because its not the issue of formula filling her up but rather i dont have any milk in the freezer to suppliment. these few fussy hours at night my breasts literally feel empty. they are soft and only feel like skin...so i can see how she might not be getting anything then? ugh i nursed my last babe for almost 2 years so i should be used to all this..its all seems so new again!
__________________
proud sahm to maddisyn 5yrs old Jonah 2yrs old
Lilly 8.17.2012
luvthefluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Teexie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,933
Re: bfing is so different this time around....

That sounds completely normal to me, including the low supply at night--very common. The only way your supply will increase is by continuing to nurse through it. Your breasts are not empty...just less full than during other times of the day.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
ChocoMeijin's Avatar
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 659
My Mood:
Sounds normal to me, I went through the same thing with DS. I kept thinking it was something i ate for dinner that he didn't like the taste of lol! It worked itself out though, don't worry! I would def. stop the formula though so your body can adjust properly
__________________
Mama to my wonderful little DS April 5th, 2011
VGBeads Get your favourite video game character beaded up!
ChocoMeijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: washington
Posts: 1,035
My Mood:
Re: bfing is so different this time around....

thanks ladies. i didnt give her formula tonight. i gave her some milk i had pumped from this morning. and i tried pumping while she had the bottle tonight (to try to keep my supply up) and i pumped for 5 mins and didnt get a single drop and im a good pumper usually. so im just going to stick thro it and stop the formula...my ds didnt have a single ounce of formula his whole life so this has really taken a toll on me giving her formula..and the fact i cant take it back LOL might sound silly
__________________
proud sahm to maddisyn 5yrs old Jonah 2yrs old
Lilly 8.17.2012
luvthefluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 12,584
My Mood:
Re: bfing is so different this time around....

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthefluff View Post
my supply is not as crazy big as last time. this time i have even wondered if i have enough milk. (altho i know thats always a fear and usually its just fine) she is a little tongue tied on top..which doctor thinks is ok since she is gaining weight she is obviously getting enough. but her latch is not as great as my sons was. she does have a tiny mouth tho too. she has this period right before bed (she sleeps thro the night without waking) where she nurses constantly and acts as tho i have nothing in me. when i break down and give her an ounce of formula she goes to sleep
This describes my son and what happens to us each day to a tee!!!! My others seemed to have a stronger sucktion and I had an over supply of milk. Now I struggle to make enough. He is growing like you said and having enough pee and poop diapers, but I constantly worry. We just introduced solids, but I nurse him first.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
l_Kimmie_l
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 12,584
My Mood:
Re: bfing is so different this time around....

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthefluff View Post
well the thing is, nursing during this "time" doesnt help. she acts starving, latches, pulls off and screams! she does has reflux too so maybe that plays a role. maybe its her colic time and has nothing to do with nursing? it gets frustrating after 2 hours of a screaming NB trying to eat but pulling off and screaming. I can usually pump a few ounces during the day so maybe each morning after nursing i will pump for that one bottle at night she has. that way it wont be formula. she has only had it a couple times but i HATE it
My 5 1/2 month old does this each night. I know I have milk too as I hand express with ease to see. He just wants to suck on a bottle at night for some reason. I had broken the habit, but some how he got back on it. I try to push through it, but sometimes I just cannot see allowing him to cry it out for hours before going to sleep. I give him a few ounces and attach him after. He sleeps and drinks all night with us, so I know I am not going to lose what I do have. I think most of his issues are related to toungue tie.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: washington
Posts: 1,035
My Mood:
Re: bfing is so different this time around....

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
My 5 1/2 month old does this each night. I know I have milk too as I hand express with ease to see. He just wants to suck on a bottle at night for some reason. I had broken the habit, but some how he got back on it. I try to push through it, but sometimes I just cannot see allowing him to cry it out for hours before going to sleep. I give him a few ounces and attach him after. He sleeps and drinks all night with us, so I know I am not going to lose what I do have. I think most of his issues are related to toungue tie.
ugh so glad you posted this. i know alot of her issues is from her being lip tied. last night after 2 hours of trying to nurse and her screaming i gave up and gave her 1 oz of formula and she went to sleep after just a little fussing. my SO and i said "if 1 meesly oz of formula is going to stop her crying and get her to sleep sue me" i know its so against the unwritten rules of breastfeeding but i dont care! i need my sanity and she needs to have a full tummy when i am obviously not giving her what she needs. its so frustrating and upsetting! doesnt help that i am an emotional wreck these days. i need a day to myself. i feel like i am being pulled in every direction with 3 kids. if one doesnt need something its the other. i know its the life of multiple children and i get that but mothers need "us" time too and well...i never have "me" time. like ever. a trip to the damn bathroom by myself is a break. taking out the garbage is somewhat of a break. sad? i think so. i am ebarrassed to admit this but sometimes i go 3 days without taking a freaking shower because at night its the hubby and 3 kids baths and well i can never have the time during the day cause one naps at a different time than the other ect ect. i guess i can take them in there with me, but what do ya know..something else i cannot even do on my own.....end rant
__________________
proud sahm to maddisyn 5yrs old Jonah 2yrs old
Lilly 8.17.2012
luvthefluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.