Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

How does a picky person get cardio exercise?

I hate endurance. The second I get side stitches, I stop running; as soon as I'm really struggling to catch my breath, I slow my bike pace to "cruising"; etc. I just don't have the mind to push myself over that hump, kwim?

So....I am trying to figure out a way to get cardio without having to self motivate, BUT not use trendy, embarrassing (to me) classes. In other words, I don't want to zumba, or any new equivalent of zumba. It's just not going to happen. I had a hard enough time starting yoga in a classroom (which I LOVE!)

I give HUGE props to the people that just let go and dance their hearts out in front of an entire class....I don't judge you at all, I envy you. I just don't have that same self-confidence.

Is there anything for people like me? Not self motivated, but not self-confident either?

Advertisement

harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Way about an iTunes "coaching" thing like Couch 2 5k? It would still take some self discipline to get out and do it, but I would coach you along.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

Re: How does a picky person get cardio exercise?

Videos?
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I don't have a TV, so videos are out. I'll check into the itunes thing...

I should also specify that I have a membership at the Y and get 2 hours of free childcare per day but I have to be in the building, so it would have to be something in a gym, pool, class, etc....using their childcare would be ideal. But I might be able to try running with all three in our enormous jogging stroller if that itunes idea works to motivate me .

I love strength training...I have no problem pushing myself there, but I'm afraid to do any more than yoga right now, (without getting some cardio first) because I'm afraid I'll be bulky without getting rid of pudge.

Last edited by harmoni247; 11-13-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Start w/speed walking. Speed walk until you are sick to death and ready to give up, and as soon as you decide you are done, you've had enough, check you watch and make yourself do JUST 5 more minutes. Tell yourself it's JUST 5 minutes. That's all, and then you will stop. And do it. Go for 5 more minutes and stop. Next time you speed walk do the same thing.

Eventually, you can start off jogging, and then go to a speed walk/trot and THEN do your "just five more minutes" thing. An pretty soon, jog just a *tad* longer before you switch to walking. and so on and so forth.

IMO, it's not so much about pushing over the hurdle, as it is about keeping yourself interested in exercising. No one wants to push themselves until they are sick of exercising. Ugh.

Cardio can be really fun, and you will start to get a "buzz" from it after a while, and then you will look forward to it! But you have to start off small. Don't bite off more than you can chew, so to speak. If you're not a runner, and you haven't run in a while, it's unrealistic to hop on a treadmill and say "I'm going to run a mile!" It's much more realistic to say, "Today I will walk a tenth of a mile, and jog another tenth of a mile and then get off this treadmill and go eat a twix to reward myself." Ok, I added that last part, but I hope you get what I'm saying!

Also, do you have a track somewhere near you? Or a safe place to walk that is outside? Walking outside provides a better exercise overall b/c it allows for a more natural footfall. It's better for your back, and honestly, for your psyche, too b/c being outside is good for you! I don't know where you live, and I know it's getting cold in many places, so this may not be an option. But keep it in mind b/c walking outside - to the park, around the track 4 times, down the trail for a 1/4 mile - is better for your body and mind. Plus, it is easy to engage the kids on a walk where you can see them and they can run/play with you.

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm so completely of this mindset too. In fact, DH, J and I are going to the Y in a few minutes and I'm dreading it. I hate exercise. But then - walking for 40 minutes on the treadmill may not be as good for me as jogging for 40 minutes on the treadmill, but it's also better than sitting on the couch for 40 minutes, and it's what I can handle, so I do it.

I say, just cruise on your bike. Push yourself when you feel like it. Don't beat yourself up when you don't. Getting some mild exercise regularly for a long time is also better than two episodes of tough cardio followed by a physical drought and an emotional valley of self-loathing because you don't have the wherewithal to keep going (speaking completely for myself here).
Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
brookglen
Registered Users

Walking up hill is the equivalent to running a flat surface. I live in the hills of LA and go for a 45 minute walk and it's an awesome workout minus all the high impact side effects. I lost 35 pounds walking on a treadmill at an incline an hour per day.

If you do it on a treadmill, then you can start at a 0% incline and then every five minutes raise the incline by 5%. Once you get to 20% then start going back down 5% at a time. This work out is amazing if you can do it a few times a week.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Honestly I think classes are the way to go. I started out with classes and it was good for me because I was too embarrassed to walk out in the middle of class. Now I take 4-6 classes a week. I'm past the embarrassed stage and I've made some friends through my fitness classes. It helps to have encouragement from other people.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
Besty
Registered Users
seller

If you have a Netflix account, you can watch/do exercise videos throughout that on the computer. I find walking with other mamas is good too, but I am still in the stroller years. I mostly do it because it is fun to chat and as an added plus, it works for inducing naps, which I would climb a mountain for.
Besty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post
I'm so completely of this mindset too. In fact, DH, J and I are going to the Y in a few minutes and I'm dreading it. I hate exercise. But then - walking for 40 minutes on the treadmill may not be as good for me as jogging for 40 minutes on the treadmill, but it's also better than sitting on the couch for 40 minutes, and it's what I can handle, so I do it.

I say, just cruise on your bike. Push yourself when you feel like it. Don't beat yourself up when you don't. Getting some mild exercise regularly for a long time is also better than two episodes of tough cardio followed by a physical drought and an emotional valley of self-loathing because you don't have the wherewithal to keep going (speaking completely for myself here).
I need to remind myself of this attitude....we walk and bike a lot and maybe I should give myself more credit for doing that casually. I'd probably get out even more if I felt like that counted as exercise! It just doesn't feel like it counts if I'm not panting and out of breath. But you're right, doing it consistently is bound to be way more important.... In the summertime, we walk a minimum of 10 miles per week and bike a minimum 10 extra, just from our weekly errands...that doesn't include all the fun bike rides and walking around the neighborhood, to the parks, etc. If I kept that up through the cold months, I'd make a lot of progress in keeping my winter pudge off this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookglen View Post
Walking up hill is the equivalent to running a flat surface. I live in the hills of LA and go for a 45 minute walk and it's an awesome workout minus all the high impact side effects. I lost 35 pounds walking on a treadmill at an incline an hour per day.

If you do it on a treadmill, then you can start at a 0% incline and then every five minutes raise the incline by 5%. Once you get to 20% then start going back down 5% at a time. This work out is amazing if you can do it a few times a week.
I really like this idea. I never knew that! walking up a big hill is not nearly as daunting to me as running on a flat surface! I think I'm going to try doing this for 45 minute after each yoga class. Thanks!