Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #21
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Non minimalism?

Cars, not that we have a mercedes benz collection but we each have a car, we also live in rural black forest germany. Now one could argue trains, but no I dont do trains, not because I a above them but I am just to lazy with kids and it gives me panic attacks.

craft supplies- I love crafting if I ever make the time. But I also do not have a lot I have a few drawers full.

chilrens books- though I did go digital for me

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #22
browneyedgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Books, and shoes for me.
browneyedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #23
Punkin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I battle with clothes overload....but the clothes are losing! . Also, we're heading into this fall/winter season MUCH more minimal than in past seasons, so I think I finally have a handle!

I have a hard time with educational items since we homeschool...but I find that allocating a space and not letting the stuff multiply PAST that designated space helps...for us its the cupboard in our kitchen that I keep all our school items.

Lastly, TOYS. Having 4 kids in 2 genders and 4 definite age groups (baby,early-preschool, kindergarden, elementary/school age) makes the toy situation explode easily if I don't keep a handle on it. Luckily, I teach the kids about decluttering young, so they see it as a positive thing. They know we have limited space,so if they want something new they quite often offer up an older/ outgrown toy in order to demonstrate the "space" for a new toy. For us, the saving of monetary allowance to pay for the toy is only part of what is required for new toys...the other required thing is the often more highly valued commondity in our home....SPACE!!

More about us at our blog for any that are interested....
Homemademinimal.blogspot.com

Last edited by Punkin; 09-30-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #24
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My shoes. Including boots, I have almost 20 pair. I do wear them all.
Gifts for the future. I used to be really bad about stocking up on gifts. I allow myself one plastic tote and it's full right now.

Read about our homeschool journey here.

Last edited by ~Laura~; 09-30-2012 at 06:04 PM.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #25
FTingmama
Registered Users

Books! For me and the kids we have a lot but hey we homeschool... at least that's my excuse LOL.
FTingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #26
BattleBuddies
Registered Users
Formerly: ArmyWife1118
seller
seller

Fabric and diapers!!! Lol. I dont feel a bit guilty either. I need to keep up my fabric stash in order to keep plenty of variety in my store. I like having plenty of diapers so they stay looking nice longer. I was down to only 13 diapers just a few weeks ago, but Ive been rebuilding the stash, and we're at probably about 30ish now. Still small compared to the number Ive had in the past, but its a work in progress!

ETA: Wool! YDS is sensitive to PUL, so I am trying to make sure he keeps plenty of woolies on hand at all times!

Last edited by BattleBuddies; 10-01-2012 at 09:54 PM.
BattleBuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #27
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Books. I struggled with it for a day or 2 then we decided we didn't really want to minimalize books, we love books. One area I do have a problem with is clothes. I desperately want to cut down on our clothing.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #28
HeatherM0529
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not really a minimalist but am trying to declutter and get rid of a lot.
Things I won't minimalize are books, DVD's/CDs, kitchen stuff (cooking/baking), Diapers (I have 170ish) and yarn/fabric (but those are in bins under our bed).

My kids have WAY too many clothes, so I am minimalizing those, but probably not as much as a lot in here, I'll make sure they have more than they need, but still less than they have now.
HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #29
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Clothing and kids books. Clothes make me happy. It's just one of those things that I truly enjoy. I've found that by minimizing the things that aren't important to me, there is plenty of room for the clothes. I have learned to let go of the stuff that I don't intend on using anymore, but I still like to have a varied wardrobe for myself and my kids. As for the kids books, that's just important to me. I do have a kindle and had considered purchasing all of our favorites, but it's just not the same for a child I think. Plus after they outgrow the books we can pass them on to another child so that they can also have a collection of great books. I have thinned out all of the "crap books" or ones we didn't care for, but we still have a good amount of them and I don't feel guilty at all.

ETA- I forgot to add that we are not minimalist when it comes to DVDs either. That's mostly DH's doing, but we really enjoy watching movies and we seem to go through phases where we get tired of paying for cable and shut it off every couple years . I tried to get DH to confine them to a big cd type case, but he refuses. He's been getting rid of a lot of other stuff which is amazing for his hoarder personality so I decided not to give him to much grief about it.

Last edited by peaches330; 10-04-2012 at 11:02 AM.
peaches330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #30
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Books for my kids and I guess I would say kitchen appliances. We have a Keurig, quesadilla machine, bread machine, slow cooker, doughnut machine, electric can opener, blender/food processor... I think that is everything? BUT- Most of these items are put away in cabinets and only out when in use.