Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
geetabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cycle help

Hi! I've decided that I want to start charting and I joined fertility friend (is that the best place to start?) but I have some questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.

I'll try to make this as short as possible!

I had been on the birth control pill from the age of 18-25 which is when I got married, stopped taking the pill and a month later I was pg. Since then I've had the Mirena IUD, had the IUD taken out and had 2 more babies. Since October 2010 my DH and I were just using the pull out method and trying to stay away from my O time of the month. It was successful for 2 years! So, I had been on bc for a long time, and then either pregnant, nursing or with IUD for a long time and I had no idea what a "normal" period looked like for me. But I haven't used bc of any kind for 2 years and my cycle has gotten into a rhythm, but its not one that I'm familiar with at all.

I'm hoping that this is not TMI!

So.....my periods are kinda wonky. My cycle as a whole is pretty regular 27-28 days but I'm really confused as to when to count CD1. I'll give you this month as an example: First sign of AF was August 31st. It was pinkish red and a flow enough for a lite tampon but only changing the tampon a couple times a day....sometimes when I took the tampon out there would barely be any blood on it. This lasted for 4 days. On August 4th I got cramps and a HEAVY period flow which lasted for 3 days, and then 2 more days of light flow again before it went away completely for a total of TEN days of bleeding!!! This same pattern is repeated every month. I get light bleeding for a few days, cramps and then heavy bleeding for a few days, then light and then done. But always 8-10 days of bleeding!

So my questions......

1. Which day should I consider CD1? August 31st with the first sign of light blood, or Sept. 4th when I got what I would consider a full period type flow?

2. Is it "normal" for me to be bleeding for that long? Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm sure I should ask a Dr. these questions, but I thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone had insight. My cycle doesn't bother me in any way, and it doesn't feel like anything is wrong and I have never gotten anything negative back on a pelvic exam. I'm just not sure what is considered normal for a grown woman after having children and not being on birth control. Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
carlycurry
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cycle help

All women have different cycles... mine usually starts out pretty light on the first day then the 2nd day is super heavy, 3rd is medium flow, by the 4th day its back to light and the 5th is just spotting.

I do think it seems odd to bleed for so many days. Once the very light bleeding begins do you continuously bleed through to the heavy days until it finally stops or do you have a stopping in between where you don't bleed at all then it rears back up heavy again??
Baby #3 coming July 2015
carlycurry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
geetabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Duplicate post. See below.

Last edited by geetabean; 09-26-2012 at 12:49 PM.
geetabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
geetabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlycurry View Post
Once the very light bleeding begins do you continuously bleed through to the heavy days until it finally stops or do you have a stopping in between where you don't bleed at all then it rears back up heavy again??
Most of the time it pretty much stops before the heavy flow begins. Every month is different in how many days the first light flow lasts, and how heavy that light flow is.....some months it will be heavy spotting for 4 days before the heavy flow begins, some months the first day is a decent amount of flow and then it tapers down to nothing before the heavy flow begins. The only thing consistent is that I have some light bleeding for a few days, then what appears to be a normal period with 3 days of heavy flow and then 2 days of light flow.

I just don't know if those few days of spotting/light flow would be considered CD1 or if it's technically considered "spotting" or if I should start my cycle count on the cramps/heavy flow start day.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
carlycurry
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If it's enough bleeding to need to use a tampon, I would considered it more than just spotting and more like light flow... but if it's bleeding that's only visible when you wipe, or just barely a little in your undies, I would say that's spotting. Just my
Baby #3 coming July 2015
Old 09-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

1. Which day should I consider CD1? August 31st with the first sign of light blood, or Sept. 4th when I got what I would consider a full period type flow?

First day of heavy enough flow so that you tampon is full. Even if it is just a small one. Intermittant bleeding is part of the end of the last cycle.

2. Is it "normal" for me to be bleeding for that long? Does anyone have experience with this?

No. It mean you are losing your progesterone early in your LP, which can be conterproductive. Knowing where you ovulate in all this will answer if it is detrimental or just an overactive corpus luteum.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
geetabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post

First day of heavy enough flow so that you tampon is full. Even if it is just a small one. Intermittant bleeding is part of the end of the last cycle.

No. It mean you are losing your progesterone early in your LP, which can be conterproductive. Knowing where you ovulate in all this will answer if it is detrimental or just an overactive corpus luteum.
Thank you, mama! You are so knowledgeable. I think you should start a DS service for all of us with questions! I made an appt. with my Ob/Gyn for October 8th....hopefully he will be able to shed some light on the situation.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I try to answer everywhere I feel I would be welcomed. Since I have children and am not TTC, I try to stay out of those threads that may not want me to help. Charting will really help you for sure. Many docs think if you have a 28-30 day cycle nothing is wrong, but that can be untrue.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
carlycurry
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
I try to answer everywhere I feel I would be welcomed. Since I have children and am not TTC, I try to stay out of those threads that may not want me to help. Charting will really help you for sure. Many docs think if you have a 28-30 day cycle nothing is wrong, but that can be untrue.
Don't stay out of my threads... I like your help, too.

I may even PM you from time to time if I think of something to ask you!
Baby #3 coming July 2015
Old 09-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlycurry View Post
Don't stay out of my threads... I like your help, too.

I may even PM you from time to time if I think of something to ask you!
I always answer PMs