Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:
Re: Homebirthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings View Post
I know Im not the only one Who else is having a homebirth?

Is this your first? If not how many homebirths have you had?

What are you most excited about? Biggest fear?

When is your first appointment with your midwife?

Anything else youd like to share?
This will be my second homebirth.
My first was a homebirth. It was a really wonderful experiance! He was posterior though, and had shoulder dystocia.
My second was a birth center (lived to far away for MW to drive). He was also posterior. We ended up transferring to the hospital, where I had him naturally after 2 more hrs of labor, because they worried about meconium aspiration.

My third was a planned c/s, because he had hydrocephalus.
My fourth was 16 days late, an induced, failed v-bac with no progression after 9 cm (posterior with bad presentation) and after 16 hours stuck at 9 cm amped up on pit., had another c/s because baby was showing signs of stress.

My biggest fear is another posterior presentation. I'm sad that my previous midwives and OB didn't know how to turn a posterior baby and I'm hoping we can turn this one if he/she presents posterior to.

What I'm most excited about is having a water birth and being at home. We are going to rent one of those heated tubs. My SIL who is trained as a Doula is going to attend. Having had a homebirth before we have a pretty good idea of how things are going to go down. We just have to find a midwife we like who lives close enough to make it happen!

Advertisement

rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
pester
Registered Users

Me!!! It will be my second. My first was a home birth maybe this one can be a water birth too. I am so excited to have the same midwife as last time. We will have our first appt this Friday.
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
heavenlyblessedmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This will be my second homebirth, second UC. I'm super excited, I absolutely loved my first UC. I don't have a biggest fear, I've come to the conclusion that I can't live my life in fear of the what-ifs. I'm UPing =)
Teresa, Married To My High School Sweetheart, Dustin, Since May 30, 2007. Mother To Philip Kael, Born February 12, 2008, Marshall Conner, Born February 12, 2009, Hunter Andrew, Born March 7, 2010, Warrick Devlin, Born February 7, 2012, & Elizabeth Lorelei born May 27, 2013
heavenlyblessedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
birdie
Registered Users
seller

This will be my first homebirth and my first vbac! We met the midwife last night and she hung out with us for two hours and then hugged me when she left. I am so excited!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Thats tough to not have an option youre totally excited about. My midwife does VBAC a lot and is very experienced in the "eventful" birth which makes me feek so at peace with her. I lost a lil more blood faster then usual with my HBAC and she was on top if giving me a shot of pitocin right away not waiting to see what happened which my husband and I both appreciated.
Ask how many Vbacs they have done, what the outcomes were. I think if the one you dont like as much has a good success rate with it, that would be a comfort to make her look better. If she doesnt then thatd be another strike agaist her.

We live near Portland Oregon which is very natural living friendly and are blessed to have a large pool of midwives. . .I know some areas are much harder to find a good one.
Hopefully anotger option you like will pop up.

Sent from my phone, excuse any typos.
Thanks for all the input! I am feeling a little better about this midwife because the woman I wanted to use told me this midwife actually trained her. We'll meet with her on the 9th.

I had to do my intake appt. for insurance and they were very supportive of VBAC but admitted that none of their OBs are going to promote an HBAC.

She went into the required detail about risk of uterine rupture, risk that a qualified OB wouldn't be on hand should an emergency arise, etc. I do get a whole $100 toward doula services if I do a hospital birth??

Anyone know of DS mamas who tried to HBAC and had serious enough complications to be admitted Emergency? I'd like to hear what the real situation is when something goes amiss. PM is good.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
I know Im not the only one Who else is having a homebirth?

Is this your first? If not how many homebirths have you had?

What are you most excited about? Biggest fear?

When is your first appointment with your midwife?

Anything else youd like to share?
I'll be having another homebirth. (I'm not sure how much choice I have in the matter to be honest, but I like being prepared to be home than unprepared to be home ) DD was a planned homebirth, unplanned to be unassisted, DH delivered her cause the midwives couldn't make it in time. They still came out to weigh/measure, finish the placenta delivery etc. so that was nice. I'll be using the same midwives again. DS was born with midwives, but at the birth center section of the local teaching hospital. It was also nice, but I like being home better. My first appointment got postponed, so I'm actually not going in for a visit until Oct. 20th, I'll be 11 weeks or so at that point.

Quote:
Thats tough to not have an option youre totally excited about. My midwife does VBAC a lot and is very experienced in the "eventful" birth which makes me feek so at peace with her. I lost a lil more blood faster then usual with my HBAC and she was on top if giving me a shot of pitocin right away not waiting to see what happened which my husband and I both appreciated.
Ask how many Vbacs they have done, what the outcomes were. I think if the one you dont like as much has a good success rate with it, that would be a comfort to make her look better. If she doesnt then thatd be another strike agaist her.

We live near Portland Oregon which is very natural living friendly and are blessed to have a large pool of midwives. . .I know some areas are much harder to find a good one.
Hopefully anotger option you like will pop up.

I'm near Portland too, which midwives do you use? I use Vivante and I love them to pieces. I ended up being hospitalized at OHSU for kidney stones that triggered pre-term labor, and Linda, the oldest/longest practicing of the group, is on staff at OHSU also, so she was able to be there to monitor my care AND come for the birth, which was awesome.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have a friend who used them and really like it! Her sister is using them now due in March too!
My midwife is Ellie Legare with Right At Home Midwifery . She is amazing! 3 of my friends have also use her, all had great experiences!

Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Met with the midwife today. Spent about 1.5 hours talking and she seems like a reasonable fit. Her transfer rate is about 13%, with 2-3% transfer to C/S. That's all her homebirths, though, not just HBACs. Does this sound good?

My only issue with this midwife is that she is all the way across town and winter approacheth. Not loving the idea of driving 30min each way in the snow.

She did say that my chances are good for HBAC because I dilated completely with DD and made it to pushing before the C/S. As long as there aren't complications and we can keep the baby pointed the right way this time, it looks promising.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Im not sure if 13% sounds high, I think it does but, maybe its normal? Id rather a midwife play it safe at the same time.

Being 30 minutes away doesnt bother me. Id jusy make sure to keep her informed when I had a contraction pattern, and to come as soon as they got stronger.

Itd be so exciting to have a HBAC! I loved mine.

Last edited by Mom2ManyBlessings; 10-10-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #20
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had my midwife appt yesterday. It went great! I talked to her about my fears (mainly hemorrhaging after birth) and she assured me that she has all the things they do in the hospital and theres some herbs I can take before hand to help as well as extra iron so I handle it better if I do loose a bit. . .(More likely o loose more the more babies you have and this will be birth 7)
All in all Im quite excited! She ease my fears and Im working through my mental block about it and think Im about over it.