Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Mrs.Os
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Off grid

Does anyone live off the grid? Where is a good place to buy off grid homes or Amish homes? What are your experiences? Has anyone used a solar generator? What make & model? Reviews? We are in the market for a few acres and a 1500+ house in our limited price range. We aren't sure what'd be better buying a home on the grid and changing to a green energy source or buying off the grid and starting fresh. Advice/ experiences greatly appreciated

Advertisement

Mrs.Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Off grid

We live in a really big Mennonite community. Only bid diff with them and Ammish is they trive and allow electric. They have hardware, bakeing/food, and gardening stores here. I LOVE their culture. We are cumberland county, tn. The area would be located mainly around east crossville area, mayland road. The prices for land/home packages are great. Lots of farms too. Work is the hard part. Not much work here. Town is not too far, but it's small.

Sorry I'm not more helpfull.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Mrs.Os
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's really helpful. I love that culture. Mennonite beliefs closely mirror our own and we would like to live close to others who share our beliefs. we live in the ny/ pa area and there are communities here I just am not sure where would be good to live, find a house and land for a fair price and find work :-/ we also believe in using electricity we maintain and various other sustaining things which makes house hunting hard because while I do ok with a small amount of electricity ie well pump, refrigerator, stove, small washing machine. Dh needs to be able to charge a bunch of stuff and has a fish tank and NEEDS ac in the summer and what not like he's really into lamps, I had one when we met lol and it was built into my wall and I had a tiny tv DVD player. Now we have 8 lamps and 3 TVs and every nintendo system, a DVD player for each tv and he loves the dryer lol. I don't hate the dryer, I hate the dishwasher though. Anyway I would be fine with a generator, solar generator maybe. he is worried... Thinks thhat we will need to be hooked up to the general electric system ? I think we will be fine we are going to look at them in a few weeks.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That would be a difficult house hunt.I wish you the best with prayers comin your way. I too love their way of life. I know in another world I could have lived that life. Ray and I watch that show on history where the families live in Alaska and 100% homestead. We both love the lifestyle. I just don't think it could ever work for us. Just too many "electric" things to hold us back, lol. We do dream or liveing in a place like that one day. It just seams so far off.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I actually lived "down the street" from Sarah for a year. In bowling green kentucky and russellville kentucky. Its got a lot of Amish and Menonite. They have WONDERFUL grocery stores!

My family still lives there. My Mom and Dad lived off grid for a year there (while working on a house) and my sister still lives off grid with my BIL and her 4 kids. My sister lives totally off grid on 5 acres. She bougt her 5 bedroom house for 32K but had to do some remodeling. She does not have solar panels though. The locations are nice because in BG there is a HUGE college (WKU) who is always hiring. Russellville only has a walmart BUT they are close to factoires. The people there are down home and awesome. Both locations are near big cities (nashville, TN and Clarksville TN that has an army base).JObs can sometimes be hard to find but if you are willing to work especially with your hands you should be fine. My dad is retired and still works there odd jobs=)

I still own 40 acers there however, not doing didly with it. I paid under a grand an acre. Theres nothing on there. My parents I think are going to build a small house on it but im unsure. I would like to one day build there or in Flagstaff Arizona and just live totally off grid/off the land. IF that will ever happen who knows though. We are currently inthe process of trying to buy an off grid house in Northern Arizona *fingers crossed* we get it. It will be our weekend house buuut my DD and I might go spend the growing seasons for the summers up there
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cool! Bowling Green isn't that far at all, lol. People in Tn and Ky are down to earth and friendly in general.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

LOL yeah I LOVED it. my only issue were the college students were a tad stuck up and they assumed I was from michigan and a "yankee" when I am from a podunk down in Florida which was kind of weird. Some of them view northerners as "outsiders" buuuut most of them are chill.

Finding property in the area is "easy"...but finding the RIGHT property can be hard best of luck to you!
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
Old 10-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We moved from Fl too! Lived in central (eustis) and north (pomona park). Where were you?

When I think of NY I think all city. There is country there too though right? Are you in the city?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am from Inverness/Homosassa Florida so about an Hour West. LOL.

I've never been to Ny at all..but i get TONS of phone calls from people about their mortgages from NY my favourite one is a berry farmer...A ton of New York is actually farm country. Which as a kid totally threw me off..I think of NY I think of NY NY ya know?>
Old 10-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Mrs.Os
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah every one thinks city when I say ny but nope I grew up witting walking distance of about 5 farms and have only been to the city two times lol. Nj is closer to it than we are. Most of ny is more like pa than NYC. We really appreciate the prayers. We have found 2 places that could have worked but real market here is awful and it's always a bidding war. We didn't get either even though we would have paid the most because of various contractual things but we move on. We wanted to move this summer and it's making us crazy looking. I wish we lived in your areas we would love it. there isn't much here when it comes to what we Want in genearal sales. I he ar Amish often have private listings