Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
ElsieCayare
Registered Users

My Mood:
We picked our midwife by recommendation of another midwife who was also recommended by a friend. We went with ours because she is a CNM so she can write prescriptions and order tests without an OB or MD.
We live in a rural area with a large number of Amish. Our house was Amish when DH bought it. Then we converted it. He also joked that when we had kids that I would birth them in the barn with a stick to bite on. I have SEVERE doctor phobia, so a homebirth was ok with me. The Business of Being Born and Pregnant in America pushed me over the edge.
We've had a problem with family members disagreeing with homebirths. DH's grandma was a real problem. She called me up when she heard rumors of a homebirth and grilled me for an hour on where the baby would be born (just before my due date-not impressed ). His sister had a real problem with it too. To this day, she still talks behind my back about it. Of course, she thinks that every one should have an elective c- section.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DS Forum

Advertisement

ElsieCayare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homebirthing

No, but I'm contemplating a freestanding birth center VBAC this time around. We'll see! DH is totally not on board with the homebirth idea.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
aliciamarie632
Registered Users
seller

We are possibly considering it. I'm meeting with midwives at a birth-center on the 15th and if we like them we'll probably go with that. If not, we'll be talking to the midwives that do homebirth around here.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
Erinne
Registered Users

I really want to, but our insurance doesn't cover it, so we'll see how much it would cost. My first was born at an indie birth center and it was really nice, but I was really nervous the whole time I was laboring at home before we went there and I think I'd be more comfortable just knowing that I wasn't going to have to move once things get started. The birth center is covered by our insurance, though, so that's probably what we'll end up doing. Besides, surely my second won't take as long as the first (right?!).
Old 10-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #15
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

I will be. My midwife (well the one I have had the last two pregnancies) does homebirths.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

So far I've done 2 homebirths but I think we'll do a hossy this time. It depends on how I feel about the midwife here. We've moved 3 hours away from my midwife.

With birth #2 (first home birth) I felt awesome afterwards, with homebirth #2 (3rd birth) I was meh about it all.

Our insurance covered the home birth in 2005 but we have tricare and we paid $2600 for homebirth #2.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #17
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
We have tricare as well......had free standing bc with #2. Hoping to do that again since the cnm's here dont do hb and cpm's arent covered. Dont think dh would go for hb........however, Im a precip so maybe we will have an "accidental" hb lol.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
shannychi
Registered Users
seller

Accidental homebirth happened to me in 2007! It was exciting to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
We have tricare as well......had free standing bc with #2. Hoping to do that again since the cnm's here dont do hb and cpm's arent covered. Dont think dh would go for hb........however, Im a precip so maybe we will have an "accidental" hb lol.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #19
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
Hubby is good with whatever. He was awesome at Natalie's birth... just not after when I was starving upstairs and couldn't get ahold of anyone to get food for me from the kitchen downstairs.

I want this birth to be just him and I (and baby) but we'll see what happens.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #20
slingmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are planning our second unassisted birth.

My first two were natural in the hospital.
My next two were homebirths with a wonderful midwife.
Our Fifth was unassisted with JUST my husband and I. It was my best and most beautiful birth of all! I loved it!
We birthed our Lulah Pearl at home last year when we lost her at 10 weeks (5-5-11) I got to hold the tiniest, most perfect baby in the palm of my hand and lay her to rest under a beautiful rose bush.

We are thrilled to be pregnant again. Praying and planning for a beautiful unassisted homebirth again.