Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #31
AutumnRose
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Craziest "thrifty" meal you've ever made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Once I had to buy cabbage for a clogged milk duct. And I had some thawed out steak I needed to use.

So I tossed the cabbage, cut up steak, some potatoes, and some carrots into a big pot with some broth and some spices and that was dinner. LOL

It wasn't the best thing I've ever eaten, but it certainly wasn't the worst! And I wasn't about to waste a whole head of cabbage!
I love this with a ham!!! Course its ok with a beef roast too. I hadn't had it with cabbage before until I meet my DH and his dad made it for dinner. I adore ham roast with cabbage, carrots, onions and potatoes now!

Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #32
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I had one of those homemade ice/hot packs filled with rice in the freezer a few months ago and we needed rice for the stir fry I had already made....So I cut open the fabric and got at the rice. We never used it for hot or cold packs anyway. I cooked up what I needed and had enough left to use for two more months
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #33
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnRose View Post
How in the world did you make this! It has to be pretty decent if kids asked for more, and honestly I'm always up for trying new things to see!!!
Most of it was just dumb luck, but here's the story. The kids had suggested hot dogs and eggs for lunch, so I started the pan, put some coconut oil in it, cut up the hot dogs (4 quarter pound Costco hot dogs), and threw them in. Then I chopped up a large onion and threw it in, too. Then I stirred it a little. Then I looked in the fridge and realized we only had 4 eggs. Oops. Ok. Change of plans. Found the apples. *Thought process* Fried apples are good. Ok, so I cut them up and threw them in. Added about 2 teaspoons of cinnamon (cos apples go with cinnamon) and about 2 tablespoons of sugar (cos that goes with apples too) OH NOES!! I realized I just added cinnamon and sugar to hotdogs! Um... uh... now what? Curry powder! YES! Curry has cinnamon in it. It will fix my mistake and the sugar will make sure it's not too spicy for dd (she is a wimp. The rest of the kids are addicted to chile and love hot and spicy foods, but dd? not so much). Need. More. Food!! I scrounged around in the fridge and found two baked potatoes. A starch! Need it! Cut those up and chucked them in. Realized at this point that the sugar was starting to scorch at the bottom of the pan, so I added about 1 cup of homemade chicken broth and some minced garlic that I had in the fridge for good measure. Then I found the cabbage (it was a coleslaw mix from the Costco Business Center. DH had wanted me to make coleslaw and I never did). Some parts of it were starting to turn black at the edges and some parts of it were frozen from being in the back of the fridge. Avoiding the black parts, I threw in like 4-5 handfulls. I stirred it around and waited for the cabbage to wilt. I added salt and pepper and prayed it would taste ok. Then I realized it would likely be too soupy. So, I added in the 4 eggs and stirred them around, too. I added a touch more salt, and then tasted it, and was pleasantly surprised that it was actually good!! I am a kitchen goddess!! LOL Now for the real test... the kids. I served it. They tasted it, liked it, and then asked what was in it. I said, "Onions, hotdogs, cinnamon, sugar, apples, potatoes, eggs, and cabbage."

They said, "Cinnamon sugar hotdogs?!" and that is what they told their dad. So now you can rummage through your fridge and be a kitchen goddess, too!

I think the real secret is to have a well stocked spice cabinet! I hate bland food, and my kids do, too... so I have lots and lots of spices to choose from- even saffron. But I actually use them! The difference between an ok meal and a gourmet meal is all in the spices. You can get them inexpensively in the bulk bins or in little packets at the store. To try new spices, it's best to buy in small quantities anyway, and if you like it, then you can look in to buying a larger amount from some place like Frontier, Penzey's, or The Spice House. Maybe I'm weird, but I love playing with spices and new flavor combinations. I hope cinnamon sugar hot dogs inspires you to try new combos, too.
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #34
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

When I was a student, I studied abroad and we did the traveling on the bus/youth hostel thing- I think our thrifty diet for a week was pretty much bread and cheese for lunch and dinner. There maybe were some meals that we could cook with the hostel kitchens, but we didn't really have $ to purchase many meals, so we made do with sandwiches.

One of our odd thrifty meals these days is baked potatoes, baked beans, and scrambled eggs. Not sure why I think those three things go together.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #35
Jennipenny
Registered Users

I have made this forever and my kids love it so when I have only five min to make dinner this is what they get...chinese cas.
1 bag chow mien noodles
1 lg can cream of chicken soup
1 can tuna fish
Mix it all together and microwave 3-5 min ... Dinner is served
Jennipenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #36
Jennipenny
Registered Users

I have made this forever and my kids love it so when I have only five min to make dinner this is what they get...chinese cas.
1 bag chow mien noodles
1 lg can cream of chicken soup
1 can tuna fish
Mix it all together and microwave 3-5 min ... Dinner is served
Jennipenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #37
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

i love pasta with butter and garlic too... yummy

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #38
ElizasMommy606
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I am short on cash and groceries in the house, I always make my girls mac and chz with veggies and hamburg. I just make a box of velveeta mac which I always seem to have, lol. Then I layer a pan with cooked hamburg, a mix of frozen veggies, the mac on top and i put parm on top and put it in the oven for a half hour. Kids love it!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #39
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay, so this is something I grew up on, too, but my kids love it and dh has gotten used to it on occasion:

For all 6 of us:
2 boxes of mac n' cheese or similar amount of homemade
1 can of green peas
1-2 packs on cheap hotdogs (depends on what we have on hand)

Cook the mac n' cheese as directed, chop the hotogs into tiny rings/slices and fry them in a pan, heat the peas. Layer them all on each plate or separate for those more picky. Voila!! Quick, thrifty, delicious meal!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #40
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnRose View Post
I love this with a ham!!! Course its ok with a beef roast too. I hadn't had it with cabbage before until I meet my DH and his dad made it for dinner. I adore ham roast with cabbage, carrots, onions and potatoes now!
We are having ham tomorrow for dinner and I know there will be leftovers, gonna make cabbage & potatoes to eat with some of the leftovers. YUMMY!!!