Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I may be an oddball but I like having an oversupply of milk and I do what I can to keep it. Right now I have 850 oz in my freezer and I've donated 600 oz and my DD is 3 mos. It feels nice to be able to give milk to those who need it.

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: not as in love with BFing as I thought....help?

You sound like you have an oversupply right now. Your baby will regulate the supply to what he needs, so it's okay if your supply drops as long as he is happy and growing.

The leaking will stop. I am sure that it feels normal to pump and have extra milk, but it's really not necessary to have all of that extra with a baby that is breastfeeding well. It's really a lot easier after the first few weeks to not have to worry about pumping! Give it at least a week and see how you feel

Congrats on getting your baby home safely!
Old 09-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks everyone. I've decided to give it 4 weeks and then reevaluate. I've gone back to pumping every 2-3 hours too and/or after every nursing session. I felt very secure with my over supply, in case I do end up having to EP, I want to have enough stored. With DS1 I barely made eough for him to get half his daily feedings as BM. Seeing all the milk I was able to store made me feel very secure. I have around 200oz frozen right now.

We had a really great session a little bit ago. He nursed really well on both sides and fell asleep for a little over an hour before he woke up to eat again. He even spit up a little! I wish he'd nurse like that all the time. Then we could work on ditching the shield

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It might get better or it might not. I would set a small goal as other suggested...give it a chance to get better. Since you have such great supply maybe consider donating some of your milk to make freezer room. There are tons of mamas out there who would be so thankful for it.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething View Post
It might get better or it might not. I would set a small goal as other suggested...give it a chance to get better. Since you have such great supply maybe consider donating some of your milk to make freezer room. There are tons of mamas out there who would be so thankful for it.
I'd love to be able to donate if I were to continue to be blessed with this supply. However, due to my medications that is not an option :-(

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I one side nursed and pumped the opposite breast with the sinlge electric or a manual pump while DD2 nursed. She would completely empty the one breast and because she got fore and hind milk she was satisfied. I also would get so much milk because she was nursing which stimulated the breast being pumped even more. I never nursed more than one side at a time. It's worth a try. We also used the nipple sheild for 8 long weeks before we finally could get rid of it. I donated over 200 oz of milk to a baby in need when I realized my babies would not take my milk from a bottle and I had to go back to work.