Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sour sinks, slimy drains

What non-bleach methods do you use on kitchen drains? Baking soda and vinegar once or twice a month helps, but lately it is simply not cutting it. Actually even occasional bleach use hasn't really cut it that well or for that long. Is oxygen bleach such as Biokleen's effective? I do not have a garbage disposal and thus cannot get a product to simply "sit" in the drain; it has to be able to work on the go.

Advertisement

debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sour sinks, slimy drains

I use Bar keepers friend but I have no idea how green it is. Something you can do that will help is pour boiling water down you drain once a week. I usually don't boil water for this purpose but usually just use the pasta water for that purpose- also pouring some down the tub and bathroom drains as well. Helps move the slime along.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I do have some Bar Keepers on hand that I occasionally use on the sink proper (but I think baking soda works about as well). However it is not green and definitely bothers my head and lungs. I didn't realize it was good on the drains though. That might be a better option than pouring bleach down (as I've resorted to). Thanks.

Since I am gluten free and don't eat pasta, I all but never pour boiling water down the sink. That is a good idea and may be the reason why I don't recall our sinks ever smelling this bad growing up.

Last edited by debcita429; 12-04-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah try some boiling water. I asked dh about it when I read on part of the 50's house wife chore list to pour boiling water down the drains once a week. He said its a pretty good idea. I guess maybe people stopped doing it because of harsher cleaners? I have no idea but it does seem to melt the gunk away- especially in the tub where we get soap buildup.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did it tonight with some BarKeeps. I guess in most houses people end up pouring boiling water down kitchen drains b/c of pasta or what have you, and my kitchen sink has lacked that. Thanks .
Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ot but you don't ever use gluten free pasta? It piqued my interest lol
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Okie, I use gluten free pasta maybe once every six months . So I don't really think that counts.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
Okie, I use gluten free pasta maybe once every six months . So I don't really think that counts.
Ok just wondering lol I'm gf considering going paleo eek!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Most of the people in my biblestudy do crossfit. So they are all kind of into paleo... except when they are eating southern comfort foods, lol. They get into both extremes.