Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
tward33556
Registered Users
seller

Kindergarden Math Help Please!

My son is 5 1/2 yrs old and we started his kindergarden year using Singapore Earlybirth Math program and it has them forming some numbers quite different (ie:#4) and he is quite bored with the program.

I am thinking of switching him either two Rightstart Math, Math-U-See, or Horizons math program. Anyone want to give me their opinions or input on which program I should use.

My son is very much a hands on learner who's attention span for new learning experiences is very short. Does well with lots to do or see visually.

Thanks so much for any of your time and knowledge!!!!

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
We love math u see! New users but I have my kinder and 1st grader doing alpha. It is going great.

We skipped beta because we knew my kinder student would be super bored. It starts with place value, and then adding 0-9. My kids are loving it!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
tward33556
Registered Users
seller

Re: Kindergarden Math Help Please!

Thanks, anyone else?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
Formerly: Generalsgirl08
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are doing Saxon 1, and he is doing fantastic!

We didn't purchase the whole set....on Christianbook.com we ordered the two workbooks (great price for new!), and then we got the teachers manual on ebay.com, for a great price! I've been advised that you really don't need the meeting book, as most the stuff you can create yourself for way cheaper (like, a calendar, strip of paper for child's work notes, etc.).

I love the curriculum...I grew up doing saxon myself, so I'm comfortable with it, but they go way more hands-on with the younger grades, and it works wonderfully!

There is an actual "lesson" where you talk about left/right, calendars/dates, time/clock telling, money/change counting, and then learn about math concepts. And then, there is the "homework" workbook page, where they do the actual problem sets, and then a sheet of addition/subtraction facts.

It goes by quickly, but its very stimulating, and works well with my child, who is ADHD
Ready to Shop for Woolies? Check out Baby Snickerdoodles on Hyena Cart
BabySnickerdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
Formerly: Generalsgirl08
seller
seller

My Mood:

OH! And I was going to say, Jason is 6 now, but I started him when he was 5...in the saxon 1...

there is an online assessment thing you as the mom can do on the saxon page, to determine what "grade" your child would need....Jason was more advanced than I thought, so we just skipped over K, and went straight into 1, and he has done WONDERFULLY!
Ready to Shop for Woolies? Check out Baby Snickerdoodles on Hyena Cart
BabySnickerdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

Of your choices I'd either use Right Start, for the games and variety of manipulatives, or Math U See.

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

I've only ever used Horizons math, and I really like it. The books are colorful and keep my kids' interest. They only introduce a tiny bit of new things at once, then it's review. Each lesson has several different types of problems- which I think helps them not get bored.

One of my boys started the 1st grade book in K, the other I started with the K book. It's pretty basic, so your son might skip that one depending on his ability.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have Singapore early bird and my son doesn't really like it. What he does love is Singapore essential math. Each worksheet gives a hands on approach to learning and then they can do the workbook as well. The other day we worked on visually recognizing groups of five. I used the books suggestion and turned it into a game. I told him to go hide and that we were playing a game. He did and I set up different groups on the table of two's, threes, fours and fives. I used unifix cubes, superheroes, little people and Legos. After he found the groups of five, he wanted to set up the table to see if I could guess his groups of five. We do stuff like this every day and he loves it and he is a hands on learner. Another thing he likes is Kindergarten pattern blocks with activity cards and he also likes the teddy bear families with pattern cards. I bought these at a local book store,but I have seen them on amazon as well.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
I've only ever used Horizons math, and I really like it. The books are colorful and keep my kids' interest. They only introduce a tiny bit of new things at once, then it's review. Each lesson has several different types of problems- which I think helps them not get bored.

One of my boys started the 1st grade book in K, the other I started with the K book. It's pretty basic, so your son might skip that one depending on his ability.
This!

We love Horizons !
Old 09-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
tward33556
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone who took the time to post