Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
2002rulz
Registered Users
seller

Detergent for softer water?

Any recommendations for detergent that works with softer water?

History: We moved in the last few months and my cloth diaper wash routine is in serious need of an overhaul, starting with the detergent. We had been using Tide original at our previous location but we can't get Tide original here, so we tried Tide Ultra for a bit and then switched to Tide original liquid.

Now I'm dealing with both ammonia stinkies AND leaks. So I've got to strip them, and then what?

I just did research and apparently our daily water hardness rating is 80-100 and on the Rockin Green map, we live in soft rock territory. So I guess I'll order some samples from Rockin Green, BUT when I tried Rockin Green at our previous location it did not work at all and we had very hard water there.

Maybe I should just potty train DD.

Advertisement

2002rulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
molly2419
Registered Users
seller
seller

How much tide were you using ? What kind of washer do you have?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have soft water (have a softener) and use Charlie's with a splash of bleach.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
2002rulz
Registered Users
seller

Re: Detergent for softer water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly2419 View Post
How much tide were you using ? What kind of washer do you have?
I was first using up to the 1 line with the Tide liquid, but then I started using up to the 2 line because of the ammonia. That helped, but then we started having leaks. We have a non-HE top loader.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
jthibodeau
Registered Users

Same issues here. If I use mainstream detergent (either Tide or Purex), I don't even use up to the 1 line and have to run at least 1 full wash without detergent after. When I start the 2nd wash w/o detergent, it looks like I added soap anyway.

jthibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have soft water in my city and I use Gain to the 2 line (powder) and only have to do 1 rinse. I don't check the rinse water usually, but don't have stink issues at all. Being pregnant, I don't have much energy so I wash every 3-4, sometimes 5 days and the ammonia smell when I dump them in is overwhelming. I also use 1/4-1/2 c bleach in every load, depending on the size and how long they have Sat between washings.
ETA: When your rinse cycle starts, you can always just turn the dial back to wash, so it does a long rinse, then the shorter one. If you washer has that option anyways.
Autocorrect has helped me type this.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm

Last edited by myclanof6; 09-27-2012 at 01:16 PM.
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
2002rulz
Registered Users
seller

Ah yes, bleach. I was reading one of those big long threads and the thing that kept coming up for ammonia was bleach. So I think I will go get us some of that (heh, we don't even have any in the house!)

I will try using less detergent and a little bleach.

After I strip them all. I hate stripping dipes.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

You don't necessarily need to strip them. If you do, you will most definitely need to rinse like a mad woman!

Autocorrect has helped me type this.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

stripping w/ soft water is an absolute nightmare! don't do it unless you really think you need to.

I have soft water and a TL. I use Tide F& G up to line 1 and I still have tons of bubbles. I do 1 wash w/ detergent and 1 w/o, sometimes even an extra rinse. I still have some bubbles left I'm sure, but I just leave it at that.
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
2002rulz
Registered Users
seller

You all were absolutely correct. I think we are going on rinsing cycles 6,7,8 right now... Stripping diapers in soft water is a real PAIN!!!