Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help with registry???

Hi There!

I just set up my registry for the shower my mom is so awesome to throw.

Do you think you could look it over and let me know if I am missing anything or if anything is unnecessary? We already picked up all our CD'ing supplies. We live in a tiny townhouse and don't want a lot of stuff. So I tried to pick key things that would be useful... but this is my first baby! So I am really just guessing.

1 - pack of 4 muslin swaddling blankets.
1 - Glider chair (my mom wanted us to get this for her when she is watching DD).
1 - Keekaroo changer (I know I don't need a changer but I have back problems and so does my mom. Really cool because you can wipe it down! Costs about the same as a pad and a couple pad covers combined. It's non-toxic too).
1 - Mobile with sound and projection.
2 - Crib sheets.
1 - Basic pack-n-play.
1 - Boba 3G carrier.
1 - Standard sized stroller (with rain canopy, tray and parent console).
2 - Mirrors for the back seat.
1 - Infant car seat/base.
1 - Matching car seat base for hubby's car.
1 - Floor gym... mat with infant toys hanging above.
1 - Rocker/napper combo.
2 - Onsies multi packs from Carter's 3mo. size (4 in one and 5 in the other).
2 - Pacifiers 0-3mo.
1 - 4pk of Bamboobies/reusable breast pads.
1 - 100 ct of milk storage bags.
3 - 5oz baby bottles.
1 - Munchkin dishwasher basket.
1 - Breast pump, Medela Instyle (plus extra membranes, steam bags, wipes, car adapter).
1 - Book, homemade baby food recipes.
1 - California Baby shampoo/bodywash.
1 - California Baby lotion.
1 - Earth Mama nipple butter.
1 - Comb/brush/Nail clippers.
1 - Wash pod.
1 - Teething toy.
1 - Audio monitor.
1 - Thermometer.
1 - Snot sucker.
1 - Stuffed animal, grasping toy, stroller toy.
1 - Diaper bag.
1 - Wet bag.
1 - Wipe warmer.
2 - Baby books.

Advertisement

mommyegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
amandact
Registered Users
seller
seller

A couple things we absolutely used in the first year that I didn't see:
High chair
Jumper
Swing

All if these are also super easy to find used though, often in great condition because they are used for such short periods of time. I don't think we could have survived without the swing but dd was a rough sleeper. I also loved the sleepy wrap, again super easy to find used though.

Also, you might want to put a small number of a few different types of bottles, it sometimes takes some trial and error to find the right bottle. We probably never used the mobile, but again dd was a rough sleeper so soothing in the crib never happened

Last edited by amandact; 09-01-2013 at 07:36 PM.
amandact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help with registry???

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandact View Post
A couple things we absolutely used in the first year that I didn't see:
High chair
Jumper
Swing

All if these are also super easy to find used though, often in great condition because they are used for such short periods of time. I don't think we could have survived without the swing but dd was a rough sleeper. I also loved the sleepy wrap, again super easy to find used though.

Also, you might want to put a small number of a few different types of bottles, it sometimes takes some trial and error to find the right bottle. We probably never used the mobile, but again dd was a rough sleeper so soothing in the crib never happened
Thanks for the advice! A friend of mine is giving me a Fisher Price Space Saver Highchair that she only used a couple times.

I have this on my registry... http://www.diapers.com/p/tiny-love-3...r-brown-241047 What's the difference between this kind of gizmo and a jumper? Could it be considered a jumper/bouncer? Sorry, super newbie! Haha.

Would I be better off with these:

1) http://www.diapers.com/p/bright-star...e-swing-788637
2) http://www.diapers.com/p/bright-star...bouncer-788632
Old 09-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

I never used a mobile
I loved the boppy pillow for nursing
Never used the floor mat with the trip bar
With such few bottles (breast feeding) I found hand washing botes quicker/easier
Bottle brush
2 wetbags
Mattress pads under sheets
Bibs

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno View Post
I never used a mobile
I loved the boppy pillow for nursing
Never used the floor mat with the trip bar
With such few bottles (breast feeding) I found hand washing botes quicker/easier
Bottle brush
2 wetbags
Mattress pads under sheets
Bibs
Thx!!!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
If you're using the PnP as the main sleeping place, I would get the mattress thingy to go with it. I got one for DS2 because the bottom piece is in 4 sections, inside the plastic, and can become wonky in shape. And it's hard as a brick IMO. It was cheap and I like it. Not squishy, not thick, and the PnP sheets fit nice and tight. That's not a necessity, just my take. Also, more than 2 sheets. I know the logic, I'll always have one clean! But it rarely works that way haha.

ETA: The best thing I ever invested in was a 3in1 exersaucer. It starts as a floor mat with hanging toys, moves to the exersaucer seat, and then becomes a play table. ODS is two and YDS is turning one, both have loved it and will still be using it for a while. Seriously. Get that thing. It folds down for travel, too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 09-01-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
litigatrix
Registered Users
seller

I second the idea of getting 2 wetbags. I think the person who suggested a jumper was suggesting something like a jumparoo, which is a great toy.

I also would say I much preferred pumping into bottles and then transferring into bags. If that is your plan, you will want to buy maybe 8 or so Medela bottles to attach to your pump.

Are you planning to baby wear? Might want to look into your options there and register for something. I liked the Moby Wrap when DS was new, then I liked the Bjorn, and then after that until he was about 1 I liked the Performance Ergo. Unfortunately I didn't find a single carrier that was ideal for all of those phases.

Does your stroller have the option to clip the infant carseat base on? I found that really useful for transferring infant from car to stroller. I didn't feel comfortable putting him directly into the stroller, even with the back fully reclined, until he was about 4 months.

You might want to go ahead and register for a convertible car seat also, as the infant seats only last til about 1 YO.

Second the boppy suggestion.

Pack n Play sheets. They are a different size than crib sheets.

Socks, hats, etc.

Burp cloths. I found that prefold diapers worked the best.

I know it seems like a lot of stuff. Not sure if you are in NoVa -- I am in DC and also live in a small townhouse. If you are in NoVa, craigslist can be a good source for things like used jumparoos that are expensive and baby only uses for a few months! Then just resell it when you're done.

litigatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thx Ladies! Very helpful. I do live in Nova, in Reston! I will check out craigslist for baby stuff. I have had luck in the past with furniture off of there. Maybe we could find a glider chair for my mom!

I think we will register for the convertible carseat. They are so $$! I know having the infant carseat is really nice to have but we are really pressed for cash and I can't see us being able to afford two convertible seats in 6-8 months. I think I will try to get a ring sling and hopefully that will work when she is tiny for grocery shopping and stuff.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
litigatrix
Registered Users
seller

There are tons of gliders on Craigslist DC. I'd definitely check it out

litigatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would go for a Moby for the newbie stage. I could go shopping without people touching/breathing on her + kept her snug (happy.)
Multiple different bottles and paci brands.

The rocker napper is a good choice.

Definitely a real mattress for the pack n play.

This swing is a swing AND a vibrating/bouncy seat! It was very convenient for us.

A Bumbo.

Jumperoo

ETA: Having tried several different bottles with my breast fed baby, I really suggest the Breast Flow bottles. She latches onto it like she does when I nurse her, and she doesnt get frustrated or gagged while using it. Ive heard good things about the Calma bottle as well, but didnt get around to trying it.

Last edited by mommyinthesun; 09-02-2013 at 06:29 PM.
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote