Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
jackofhearts
Registered Users

Homeschooling Kindergarten- Need help

Hi!
So I have decided that I want to home school my 6 year old through kindergarten.
However....I haven't the SLIGHTEST clue how to even get started!!!
I don't know what to do, where to go, where to look online. Nothing!
I live in North Carolina by the way.
And he has already been enrolled in Kindergarten public school, but I plan to pull him out and homeschool if I can.

Does anybody know anything or how to get me started?
How I would go about taking him out of school?
How and where would I report to for him being home schooled?
What should I expect?
What does home school for a kindergartener typically entail?
Where would I get my materials?

Pretty much anything at all.
Right now I have looked online...but where I'm at...it at point clueless.

Any help at all would GREATLY be appreciated.
I feel very strongly about this. My son has aspergers and ODD as well as sensory processing disorder and ADHD.
I have a 1 year old and am 4 months pregnant with my 3rd AND a single mom.
So I'm aware I'll be taking on a lot more. But I felt it in my gut that enrolling him in school was a bad idea, but did it anyways. Now that he's been in school for a bit...I feel even more like home school is definitely the right choice for him right now.
So I'd rather do it sooner than later.
But I need some serious help getting starting and knowing what to do.

Thanks!

Advertisement

jackofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Check out HSLDA's website for NC state requirements. For my kindergarteners I just use the Explode the Code books A,B, and C. I use A Reason for Handwriting book K, and Math U See primer. We don't go into too much else at that age. We read library books. I have white board to make handwriting more exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
meg28
Registered Users
seller

Re: Homeschooling Kindergarten- Need help

Hey there I am actually in NC as well and same situation here. My daughter was enrolled in Kindergarten but I wanted to homeschool so I pulled her out! Basically you want to go to the HERE and look it over. Since your son is only six you don't need to do anything other than write the school a letter with you signature saying you a pulling him out with the intent to homeschool. The compulsory age for school in NC (meaning they don't legally need to be in school) is 7 years old, so unless he is going to turn 7 in the course of this school year you need to do nothing. The state or the DNPE (department of non public education) will not accept your letter of intent to become a homeschool until he is 7. look at the link i sent and browse around there, it really has all the info you will need. I actually called the office and asked a bunch of questions too and they were SUPER sweet and helpful. I am by no means an expert i am still trying to get my bearing as well but thought I would chime in since our situations are very similar. Let me know if I can be of any other help just PM me if you need to.

Where in NC by the way?

Good luck mama! I know its overwhelming I am right there with you! Check out my thread HERE that I started just before pulling my DD out and some very helpful mamas chimed in there as well!

SAHM to S 11/9/06 J 11/1/09 and M 10/27/11
meg28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofhearts
Hi!
So I have decided that I want to home school my 6 year old through kindergarten.
However....I haven't the SLIGHTEST clue how to even get started!!!
I don't know what to do, where to go, where to look online. Nothing!
I live in North Carolina by the way.
And he has already been enrolled in Kindergarten public school, but I plan to pull him out and homeschool if I can.

Does anybody know anything or how to get me started?
How I would go about taking him out of school?
How and where would I report to for him being home schooled?
What should I expect?
What does home school for a kindergartener typically entail?
Where would I get my materials?

Pretty much anything at all.
Right now I have looked online...but where I'm at...it at point clueless.

Any help at all would GREATLY be appreciated.
I feel very strongly about this. My son has aspergers and ODD as well as sensory processing disorder and ADHD.
I have a 1 year old and am 4 months pregnant with my 3rd AND a single mom.
So I'm aware I'll be taking on a lot more. But I felt it in my gut that enrolling him in school was a bad idea, but did it anyways. Now that he's been in school for a bit...I feel even more like home school is definitely the right choice for him right now.
So I'd rather do it sooner than later.
But I need some serious help getting starting and knowing what to do.

Thanks!
Where are you located?
MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
jackofhearts
Registered Users

Thank you. ) I will look into all of that!!
My son just turned six, his birthday missed the cut off date for kindergarten. (September 17th is his birthday)
But that was another thing that confused me. I didn't understand why I couldn't pull him from Kindergarten if technically he doesn't have to start until 7?
I only wanted to homeschool him through kindergarten so that I can get him the therapy he needs without having the be threatened by school social workers for him missing some school for appointments.
He was just out of school a week for a virus and I was NOT going to send him back sick. He got better friday, but was still kindof weak. So I kept him home and my son's teacher actually came down on HIM telling him he wasn't allowed to miss any more school. He was so stressed out about it. It wasn't right at all.
But I fear talking to his school at all about pulling him out to homeschool. And I don't want him to be behind either.
I'm actually in the process of getting my HS diploma and won't have it until December, unfortunately. So technically I can't qualify to home school him right now anyway.
Every day I sit there and think...I'm just going to keep him home. Or I think...I'm going to just go get him. hahah!
But I realize that I can't because I'm just not prepared yet.
I wish I would have been prepared BEFORE I enrolled him.
I live in Dallas, right outside Gastonia. )
jackofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofhearts View Post
Thank you. ) I will look into all of that!!
My son just turned six, his birthday missed the cut off date for kindergarten. (September 17th is his birthday)
But that was another thing that confused me. I didn't understand why I couldn't pull him from Kindergarten if technically he doesn't have to start until 7?
I only wanted to homeschool him through kindergarten so that I can get him the therapy he needs without having the be threatened by school social workers for him missing some school for appointments.
He was just out of school a week for a virus and I was NOT going to send him back sick. He got better friday, but was still kindof weak. So I kept him home and my son's teacher actually came down on HIM telling him he wasn't allowed to miss any more school. He was so stressed out about it. It wasn't right at all.
But I fear talking to his school at all about pulling him out to homeschool. And I don't want him to be behind either.
I'm actually in the process of getting my HS diploma and won't have it until December, unfortunately. So technically I can't qualify to home school him right now anyway.
Every day I sit there and think...I'm just going to keep him home. Or I think...I'm going to just go get him. hahah!
But I realize that I can't because I'm just not prepared yet.
I wish I would have been prepared BEFORE I enrolled him.
I live in Dallas, right outside Gastonia. )
I'm not in NC, but from reading the requirements you can pull him out even if you don't have a HS diploma b/c he's not yet 7 or am I reading that wrong?
Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
MiriRose
Registered Users

Hi there ~ I realize this thread was posted a few days ago and you may have already gotten the info you were searching for. In case you're still looking, I wanted to let you know about a couple resources that might help you. Focus on the Family offers a series of articles on their site about " Effective Homeschooling."

Also, since you mentioned your son has special needs, I thought you might be interested in a book about homeschooling different learning styles called Homeschooling Methods. I work with Focus, and they have counselors available to speak with you over the phone (for free!). If that would be helpful, I hope you'll call. I will be praying for you and your little ones. God bless you!
MiriRose is offline   Reply With Quote