Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
4dramamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkeegan
We are in the process. DS is like 99% pee trained and 0% poop trained. I can bring him out in public in underwear & he does great, he wears underwear at naptime, wakes up dry. He even wakes up dry overnight, but always has a big pee 1st thing in the morning. I guess I should just do underwear overnight too, I just need to do it. But he will poop whenever he has to. Doesn't matter if he is wearing a diaper, underwear, nothing... And I can tell he has to go, and ask him if he needs the potty, but he will say no!

Any advice? He is 25 months, healthy and regular. Most of the stuff I find about poop and training has to do with holding it in, which he isn't doing.
When my kids would do this I would take them to the potty anyway. I KNOW what they're doing so I take them and put them on. I've always felt like this helped get over that physical difference of sitting to poop. It's just not "natural" to think that sitting is going to make it easier to poop.

Also, just a small thing, I would tell them, "you need to go poop," instead of asking. This way they wouldn't lie to me but feel comfortable telling the truth. But that's probably just me.

Good job being attentive and noticing. That's my biggest problem. I just can't watch them every second for clues.

Advertisement

Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #12
4dramamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers
Levi is definitely interested in using the potty, and is able to get himself on and off the toilet when his diaper is off. Right now I'm feeling too sick and exhausted, and having a lot of trouble keeping up with the normal laundry and housework (as in, it isn't getting done most of the time), so I don't want the extra work of accidents.
Once I'm feeling better and my energy returns ( for only another week!!) I'm just going to let him go diaperless in the house, he can wear undies if he wants to (we have some here that should fit him), and we'll see how it goes. We're definitely not against using pull ups for outings and nights, rather than keeping switching between undies and diapers (sometimes that has been an issue with the kids, some not).
Me exactly. except I have to keep my son in undies are he has a new toy. Seriously, it's quite ridiculous the things he can find to do with that.

Hugs to you, mama.
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #13
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty Training/Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post
I lucked out with DS- he pretty much trained himself at just shy of two. But, I have heard that if kids show signs of being ready that naked and underwear time get the job done!
I'm pretty sure Levi would do this now, if only I would let him! I feel terrible not letting him just do it, but I really couldn't handle the extra stress of accidents and more laundry. I'm hoping that he won't totally lose interest before I start feeling better.
Although, either way, I'm sure we'll get him trained before spring - that's still a ways off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkeegan View Post
Any advice? He is 25 months, healthy and regular. Most of the stuff I find about poop and training has to do with holding it in, which he isn't doing.
I don't have a ton of advice on that one... or pt in general. All my kids so far have been over 3 years old before we started training with them, and took varying lengths of time to "get it".
DD was super stubborn and while she could easily do it, she would choose not to after a few days (part laziness, and part just wanting to control the situation). We put her back in diapers a number of times before finally saying enough was enough. She was 3.5 at that point.
DS1 was fairly decent with peeing, but would wait until he had a pull-up on for naps or nighttime for pooping. The pull-up was necessary, as he would almost always wake up wet (still has some trouble with night wetting, if he has a lot to drink after supper). He was probably 4yrs, give or take a month or so, before he finally would poop on the toilet - one night he just said he needed to, went and did, and that was it from then on. He obviously had some sort of fear about it, we're still not sure what or why, but he got over it in his own time.
DS2 just took a l.o.n.g time overall, both pee and poop. We started at 3yrs, and I think he was nearly 4yrs before he was actually done. He seemed just too busy to go - he would be great if we prompted him and made him go every 15 minutes, but that's not potty trained IMO.

Anyhoo, hoping for an easier time with DS3! We deserve a break from the hard trainers, I think!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:

Im pretty much confused with dd, 22m. She tried to chsnge her own poop dipe,, constsntly goes diaperless, sits on the big potty by herself all the time, but has NOT acyually gone in the potty. Gah. Pees and poops all over the house!! Idk what to do next.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
emkeegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momneedssupport
Im pretty much confused with dd, 22m. She tried to chsnge her own poop dipe,, constsntly goes diaperless, sits on the big potty by herself all the time, but has NOT acyually gone in the potty. Gah. Pees and poops all over the house!! Idk what to do next.
Just keep doing what you are doing. DS was like this around that age too. I guess it was really cemented in that pee goes in the potty after I said it a million times and started giving him an m&m every time he peed on potty.

We had to throw out the m&m's because he was CRAZY on them, but now we use either a bunny cookie (Annie's) or a chocolate chip. Not all the time now, only if he remembers (about once a day?)
Old 09-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momneedssupport View Post
I would spend 2 or 3 days at home with her naked and watch her like a hawk! Put her on the potty every 30-45 minutes and encourage potty. Then when she stars to potty in the floor, go grab her immediately and say "pee-pee ( or poo poo) is for the potty only" while you are taking her and placing her on te potty. Continue to do this every single time. Then celebrate and dance, whatever when she goes on the potty, even if she had started to go on the floor but finished in the potty. That's what we did at least.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:

She has even pulled her dipe off at naptime and woken up dry, try to put her on the potty and she'll either throw a fit or sit forever then stand up and pee:/

So frustrating. She has no cues whatsoever. She almost seems shocked when she pees on the floor.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #18
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momneedssupport View Post
Have you tried treats? A candy or something (small!) for going on the potty? It means you have to "wean" them of it after they get the hang of things, but you could do that by having a sticker chart working to earn a toy or something like that.

If she's not recognizing when she needs to go, she may just not be ready for pottying yet. If she is recognizing, but choosing not to use the toilet, then it's a whole different matter (ie. what our DD was doing!). I don't think this sounds like what your DD is doing, though. With DD it was definite that she wanted control and was peeing/pooping in the house, on various thing, because she wanted to show us she was mad.
Do you have her help clean up the messes she makes? Does that bother her? We did this with DD and she hated it - but, hey, you make that mess on purpose, you help clean it up!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote