Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
sschmelzer
Registered Users
seller

eBay shipping woes

Ok so I won a diaper bag and I totally realize that I got an amazing deal but here is my issue:
Standard USPS shipping was listed as 13.00
Expedited was listed as 16.00 (which would have been priority mail)

I received the item and it was shipped in a flat rate envelope. I wouldn't be so pissed except that I emailed the seller before I paid and asked is she could possibly ship it in a medium flat rate box. The seller responded with " shipping needs to stay as it is, you are getting a grat deal" so I interpret that as " the auction went for less than I hoped so I am making some up in shipping". I mean if she wanted a certain amount she should have set a reserve!

Are you allowed to overcharge by $8 on eBay? I mean it would have been one thing if it was a couple dollars but $8?

Advertisement

sschmelzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Cute Little Bugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: eBay shipping woes

I have no idea, but Can you make a comment in her feedback?
Get 5% off with code DSFIVE
Cute Little Bugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
expaik
Registered Users
seller

She is not allowed to do that per eBay guidelines:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html

It clearly states there that "You're required to select the shipping option that best matches the shipping service that you offer in the listing." "Be sure to specify shipping costs and related service charges in your listings. It's against our rules to provide unclear or misleading shipping information or to charge unreasonable fees for shipping and related services."

And it proceeds to list out what the seller is allowed to charge for in his/her shipping costs. That includes ACTUAL shipping (what the seller paid the USPS), handling (materials costs), extra postal services (DC, insurance, certified, registered, etc.), government postal tax if any. They are NOT allowed to inflate shipping costs.

As far as whether ebay would force the seller to refund you, that I don't know. They might just give the seller a warning or advisory. There are so many sellers who inflate shipping costs that it would be hard to go after each and every one.

But definitely leave appropriate feedback if the seller refuses to address your concerns.
expaik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Since you asked for a different manner of shipping and she refused I'd email and ask for my 8 dollars back.

If she refuses I'd complain to eBay.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

You knew what she was charging before you bid on the item, you agreed to pay that price when you bid. The amount she actually paid to ship it is a moot point IMO.

Whenever I purchase something online I don't really seperate out the cost of the item and shipping. It's all together for me so how the seller decides to seperate it really doesn't matter to me. I look at the total amount I pay as the cost of the item. If you got a good deal on the total price then don't sweat the break down.

Last edited by ServingHim; 10-17-2012 at 07:38 AM.
ServingHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServingHim View Post
You knew what she was charging before you bid on the item, you agreed to pay that price when you bid. The amount she actually paid to ship it is a moot point IMO.

Whenever I purchase something online I don't really seperate out the cost of the item and shipping. It's all together for me so how the seller decides to seperate it really doesn't matter to me. I look at the total amount I pay as the cost of the item. If you got a good deal on the total price then don't sweat the break down.
this.

i'm always confused when people post about how they won something on ebay but are upset bc the shipping was too high and the seller wouldnt refund. if you dont like the shipping price talk to the seller before you bid.

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
sschmelzer
Registered Users
seller

to the above:
Because I assumed if she was charging $13 then that would be around the price she was planning on paying to ship (maybe using ups/fedex or something). And I have never had a problem with selllers' mailing a specific way when requested. I have also been asked by buyers to ship something a different way then was requested. Also I asked her if she could ship in a flat rate box which would have only been a couple dollars less than I paid for shipping anyway but she clearly stated she was keeping shipping where it was BECAUSE of the final price of the item. I sell stuff on ebay to and in my opinion you shouldn't list something without a reserve unless you are totally comfortable with having it sell for cheap and you shouldn't be trying to make money on the shipping. If she would have mailed it in a flat rate box I wouldn't care but now its a big difference. I'm going to ask her one more time about it. I plan on leaving positive because the item is great but I will note that she overcharged for shipping by a significant amount.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
expaik
Registered Users
seller

I would agree with the above two posts if the shipping were a couple of dollars off. Would not make a big fuss, especially if I got a good deal.

But she shipped in an ENVELOPE, which costs 4.90, and charged 3x the cost of that. That is just not right.

She clearly hid some of the selling price in her misleading shipping amount to make it seem like the buyers would be getting a better deal than they would.

The fact remains that the seller is in blatant violation of eBay rules.
expaik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
sschmelzer
Registered Users
seller

Ellen,
That is precisely my point. I wouldn't have cared over a few dollars. But honestly it is too much. I have had people refund some of the shipping cost without me ever asking because they overestimated how much it would actually cost. I think its easy to think something is going to be really expensive to ship and then find out it can go flat rate for A LOT less so I guess I don't immediately assume that people try to make money off shipping. So i was quite surprised at the sellers' response.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

It bothers me on eBay. The rules are the rules and even if I get a good deal, I don't play the inflated shipping game. I'd report her to eBay and leave appropriate feedback (neutral, if everything else is good).
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote