Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My situation is a little different but I had DD in a Hospital Birth Center. Our midwife was amazing and told me I could push and deliver in any position I wanted as long as she could get to my vagina. She even said if I wanted to deliver on my head that would be fine since she'd have a clear shot of my vagina! LOL

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

Advertisement

Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you had a hospital birth - did they allow pushing while squatting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherpippi View Post
My hospital has squat bars that attach to the bed- you're technically in bed, but you're allowed to squat.
That's what they had me do last time... but it was terribly uncomfortable. Squatting by the side of the bed was much better for me the previous labor. I think by being on the floor, I could move my feet, but once my weight was on my feet in the bed, I was stuck and my feet kept going numb because I couldn't even reposition myself side to side or anything.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I doula'd for my bff and they did something really awesome for her. She had an epi but still wanted to be able to have some of the squatting effect. So they put that bar up, cranked her bed up so she was sitting all rhe way up, propped her feet on both sides of the bar, and attached a rope to rhe middle for her to pull against. It was really powerful stuff. Even for a first time mom, with an epi, she only pushed for five minutes and her 8 lb baby was born easy peasy. It was an amazing combination to leverage her strength and flexibility while still supporting her fully between pushes so she could "hold" the push and keep baby engaged between pushes (If that makes sense).

As a funny side note, I did what you described in your first birth at home with my DD. She WAS born on the floor. Lol. She came flying out like a super hero and almost hit the floor (cuz I was almost standing but leaning over). So I can see why they're like "aaah!! Get over the bed!!"
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherpippi View Post
My hospital has squat bars that attach to the bed- you're technically in bed, but you're allowed to squat.
Ours does also, but when we asked to use it, the nurse set it up, then directed the mother to lay back with her LEGS IN THE AIR on the bar...we just kind of looked at her like...sure no thanks.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
MelDM
Registered Users
Formerly: newmom
seller

My Mood:
I think it depends mostly on your nurse. I'm an L&D nurse and I would totally let you do that as long as your not crowning!

Mama to 3! Brooke (4), Katie (3) and our newest addition, Ryan born 3/5/2011!
MelDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #16
mapleleaf88
Registered Users
seller

I delivered sitting up, mostly. I had an epidural, but that was the only reason I wasn't allowed out of bed, and only because they didn't have enough staff (it was a walking epidural, but their insurance says you need a nurse on either side of you if you do anything). My local hospital is borderline crunchy, though. they encourage breast feeding, have a rooming-in policy (you don't have a choice if your baby didn't need nicu care, he's with you - even if you had a section) they also are very hesitant to give you a section unless baby is in distress.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #17
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had a hospital birth with DD1, but I had a midwife. I labored in a tub and tried to deliver in there, but it just wasn't happening. I got out and labored in bed for a while and tried to push. Then the midwife and nurses got me a squatting bar that was attached to the bed, so I tried that, but it was in bed. I'm sure the midwife and nurses would have let me squat next to the bed if I had wanted to, but I was too tired to do anything but lie down at that point.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #18
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
I doula'd for my bff and they did something really awesome for her. She had an epi but still wanted to be able to have some of the squatting effect. So they put that bar up, cranked her bed up so she was sitting all rhe way up, propped her feet on both sides of the bar, and attached a rope to rhe middle for her to pull against. It was really powerful stuff. Even for a first time mom, with an epi, she only pushed for five minutes and her 8 lb baby was born easy peasy. It was an amazing combination to leverage her strength and flexibility while still supporting her fully between pushes so she could "hold" the push and keep baby engaged between pushes (If that makes sense).

As a funny side note, I did what you described in your first birth at home with my DD. She WAS born on the floor. Lol. She came flying out like a super hero and almost hit the floor (cuz I was almost standing but leaning over). So I can see why they're like "aaah!! Get over the bed!!"
that's awesome; thanks for the description!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelDM View Post
I think it depends mostly on your nurse. I'm an L&D nurse and I would totally let you do that as long as your not crowning!
Why not if she's crowning?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #20
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosefall

Why not if she's crowning?
I'm curious too!
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote