Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #41
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you had a hospital birth - did they allow pushing while squatting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
That's so sad. :-( it's really striking to me to hear about the differences in care throughout the country. In the city I live in, there are three major hospitals that all offer waterbirth (actual delivery IN water IN hospital), and that encourage vbac, have low primary cesarean rates to begin with (about 20%) and who use midwives as primary caregivers and OBs only consult for high risk cases.
my first son was born at a hospital birthing center in OR and they let me walk around all i wanted. i labored quite a bit alone in the bathroom before they insisted i needed to come out and they brought me a commode to sit on. i was shocked the difference in care i received at the hospital

Advertisement

Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #42
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes
my hospital would not allow me off my back or out of the bed since they wanted that monitor on my belly the entire time i really wish that i knew then what i know now and i had been more assertive
A lot of it has to do with the doctor/hospital/nurse's specific policies based on their own experiences and preferences. That's lame. :-(
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #43
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley84
I was offered a squat bar with both kids. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to sanely handle myself without an eventual epidural. I've never had the opportunity to use it to know whether they would have required that I use it over the bed or not.
Did you have anyone there to offer support for you during labor? Like a doula? To offer comfort positioning and give you input on how to manage the pain? I had an epi with my son or the same reason. I could NOT see a way around te pain and just wanted it to stop and had no support or relief other than the epidural. With my second delivery there was no option of an epi (at home), but boy did I want one! My friend was my doula and she really helped me get "in the zone" and sort of ride through until the end. It was HARD, but having her support and caring touch and words made all the difference.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #44
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
Did you have anyone there to offer support for you during labor? Like a doula? To offer comfort positioning and give you input on how to manage the pain? I had an epi with my son or the same reason. I could NOT see a way around te pain and just wanted it to stop and had no support or relief other than the epidural. With my second delivery there was no option of an epi (at home), but boy did I want one! My friend was my doula and she really helped me get "in the zone" and sort of ride through until the end. It was HARD, but having her support and caring touch and words made all the difference.
I do have an awesome doula that has been there for the births of both of my children. I have a fantastic pair of midwives that are very supportive of natural birth. My mom and husband have been at both births and they would do anything to help me achieve the natural birth that I've aimed for each time. DH and I have done the full Hypnobabies home study course. I have every opportunity imaginable to be successful at birthing naturally. I am just batcrap crazy in labor. I can't even be nice to the people around me. It's awful. I apparently handle pain similar to a rabid dog. Actually, I act quite like Cujo. It's so embarrassing. One of my midwives joked that she won't deliver me again unless I agree to an epidural right off the bat. We aren't done having kids. I'd still like to do it naturally someday. I'm losing hope though. My labors are just ridiculously long (22.5 & 24.5 hours). I told my doula that my only goal next time around is to be nice and respectful to my birth team. I seriously think that the only expectation I can place on myself at this point. That will be hard enough.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #45
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley84

I do have an awesome doula that has been there for the births of both of my children. I have a fantastic pair of midwives that are very supportive of natural birth. My mom and husband have been at both births and they would do anything to help me achieve the natural birth that I've aimed for each time. DH and I have done the full Hypnobabies home study course. I have every opportunity imaginable to be successful at birthing naturally. I am just batcrap crazy in labor. I can't even be nice to the people around me. It's awful. I apparently handle pain similar to a rabid dog. Actually, I act quite like Cujo. It's so embarrassing. One of my midwives joked that she won't deliver me again unless I agree to an epidural right off the bat. We aren't done having kids. I'd still like to do it naturally someday. I'm losing hope though. My labors are just ridiculously long (22.5 & 24.5 hours). I told my doula that my only goal next time around is to be nice and respectful to my birth team. I seriously think that the only expectation I can place on myself at this point. That will be hard enough.
I think that's a fair goal. :-) the most important thing is that you feel safe and supported by your team. It sounds like you definitely have that support and safety around you. :-)

During both of my labors, I bit my husband. Just for the record.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #46
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Its allowed in Europe they have mats under you and lots of options from bed, tub, ropesto pull on, birthing stools, all are norms in all birthing rooms you do not have to give birth in bed midwives recommend against it.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #47
cbusbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I alternated between using a squatting bar and sitting up leaning to one side. Squatting wasn't as effective and was more tiring so I delivered sitting up. My midwife was great about everything and I probably would have delivered in the tub but I didn't feel like I could move that far :P
K, married to wonderful husband J since 12/11, g born 9/25/12.. due with #2 sometime in early 9/14
cbusbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #48
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read the whole thread. I just had my natural hospital birth 5 days ago. I was allowed to push in any position I wanted. I didn't squat, but they did have a squat bar. For whatever reason, the only position I could handle while contracting was completely standing. We assumed I would push that way too. But, when it came down to it, I had an anterior lip that wouldn't budge and I needed to change positions to get my cervix to cooperate. I ended up on my side on the bed for my last 1-2 contractions, which was all it took to get that lip out of the way, and then 2-3 pushes and he was out. But, my OB was all set to deliver me standing up, or any other way, if she needed to.

I love my hospital. They were very hands off and let me do my thing. I did have monitoring, but it was intermittent and at the end when they wanted it on pretty much the whole time, the nurse just held it in place while I was standing so that I could move as much as I wanted.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #49
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can do whatever you want with your labor and delivery. I assure you. Ready, this is how it goes:

Medical professional: We need you to get on the bed.
Mom: NO!

If they persist, repeat NO!, if they touch you, repeat NO! If they continue, it is assault. You can always reach down and catch your baby, instinctually, you most likely would anyway.

Your body is no less yours in the hospital, while birthing. You are the consumer, YOU are paying for their services. The Dr's hate any position that requires them to think, I swear. God Forbid they have an a$$ in their face or have to move to YOU. I swear they forget who pays them.

ETA: I was squatting while laboring with Anna and the nurse kept yelling at me to get on the bed and I told her NO, over and over until I just ignored her. My husband told her if she touched me, it would not be good. She backed off. I eventually got on the bed, when I was good and ready and got my epidural. But I would have complained of assault had she tried to touch and physically move me. My body is MINE. The nurse who came on after her was amazing and so great. I didnt get my epidural till I was 9.5 cms and they made me pant through "a lip" of cervix. My first birth was a much better experience, however. The staff was much more respectful.

Last edited by clothdiapercrunchy; 10-18-2012 at 12:29 PM.
clothdiapercrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #50
nisha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdiapercrunchy View Post
You can do whatever you want with your labor and delivery. I assure you. Ready, this is how it goes:

Medical professional: We need you to get on the bed.
Mom: NO!

If they persist, repeat NO!, if they touch you, repeat NO! If they continue, it is assault. You can always reach down and catch your baby, instinctually, you most likely would anyway.

Your body is no less yours in the hospital, while birthing. You are the consumer, YOU are paying for their services. The Dr's hate any position that requires them to think, I swear. God Forbid they have an a$$ in their face or have to move to YOU. I swear they forget who pays them.

ETA: I was squatting while laboring with Anna and the nurse kept yelling at me to get on the bed and I told her NO, over and over until I just ignored her. My husband told her if she touched me, it would not be good. She backed off. I eventually got on the bed, when I was good and ready and got my epidural. But I would have complained of assault had she tried to touch and physically move me. My body is MINE. The nurse who came on after her was amazing and so great. I didnt get my epidural till I was 9.5 cms and they made me pant through "a lip" of cervix. My first birth was a much better experience, however. The staff was much more respectful.

AMEN!!! I hate the term "They wouldn't let me" or "Will they let me?" Even if it's hospital policy, they can't make you do squat! (pun intended!)

My sister in law pushed for a good while in a supported squat position on the floor, she told them ahead of time that she intended to do that and requested plenty of blue pads to cover the floor. The nurse also kindly brought in extra pillows to put under her "just in case".
Said sister in law didn't take no for an answer on anything she wanted, nor did she allow them to do anything she didn't want them to do! Some of the nurses/DR's on staff that day weren't a fan of hers but she didn't care, it was HER birth.
If I end up with a hospital birth this time instead of our planned home birth, I will be having a water birth regardless of hospital policy.
nisha is offline   Reply With Quote