Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

nut allergy moms! need some thoughts (long) update in#27

So the other day i gave my almost 1 year old dd (april 29th) a small piece of peanut butter toast after nap. This is probably the first time i have done that . I was giving her sister who's 2.5 a piece and dd has been really into eating what sister eats. So anyway within 10-15 minutes dd4 started rubbing her eyes over and over , like obsessively. She got extremely cranky and pretty much acted like she had not just taken a 2.5 hour nap. I didn't think anything of it and chalked it up to a very strange day of her not napping well. Her face was red but i figured it was from crying and rubbing. I chalked cranky up to her teeth and gave her some tylenol.

fast forward to this morning. Same thing. Dd3 wanted peanut butter toast so i gave dd4 a small piece which again she barely touched (like two/three small bites) within a few minutes she went from happy morning awesome self to rubbing her eyes and crying. Her eyes started to get swollen and her eyes were watering, she got huge blotches allover her face, her lips became swollen. I freaked out and called the dr. The dr made me give her a large dose of benedryl and tynlonal. They made me bring her in because she was breathing i thought ok. When i got there she was better but really cranky and she had welts on her tummy and arms/neck. The dr said her breathing was labored and gave her a shot.

So now they have said that she can't have ANYthing with peanuts or nuts in it until we got to an allergist and they wrote a script for an epi pen. Within minutes of the shot she was better, her eyes are no longer swollen just really red and she is now playing happily

My dh thinks that true peanut allergies are very rare and that we are all over reacting

So i was just wondering how you found out your LO had a peanut allergy? and what the process was.

Advertisement

Last edited by ulawolf; 04-15-2013 at 09:19 AM.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: nut allergy moms! need some thoughts (long)

They really aren't that rare anymore. We knew DD2 had a dairy allergy (and suspected egg) as early as 6 weeks old. If I had anything dairy, it messed up her stomach big time. Fast forward to 14 months old (thereabout). We had given her bits of peanut butter crackers and peanut butter bananas thinking that because DD1 didn't have a peanut allergy and she hadn't shown symptoms, we were in the clear. I desperately needed to make a grocery run, because we had an essentially bare pantry. I was scrambling for snacks and threw a handful of peanuts on her tray. She ate 2 peanuts, and immediately the hives/rash popped up. Her lips started to swell, and her eyes got very inflamed. I FREAKED. Yanked her out of the high chair, stripped her down, used a wet washcloth to attempt to get any/all peanut residue out of her mouth, and gave her benadryl. We scheduled an allergist appointment and it turns out that she had a level 3 peanut (and egg) allergy.

I would not hesitate to see an allergist. In the meantime, I wouldn't give any nut products whatsoever as a precaution. We just saw the allergist for a follow up visit on Friday, and I asked if we could test for specific other nuts (peanuts, cashews, almond). He said the risk of having other nut allergies is 10% when there is a peanut allergy, but he'd like to wait 6 more months to do more testing.

ETA. The crankiness...DD2 was *always* upset/cranky/angry/tired. She was 15 months when we got her in for testing. Before then, since she hadn't shown symptoms of egg allergy (not like her dairy/hives reaction), we assumed eggs were fine. Her tummy was probably so raw. We just didn't know. I just thought she was a really difficult, high needs kiddo. Once we got her food allergies in check, she has been a completely different child.

Last edited by Hopper Graphics; 04-12-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Now i feel crazy..she is perfectly happy and besides red cheeks she seems fine. She's laughing, playing, no longer rubbing her eyes. I have had kids with a dairy allergy but it was just stomach issues and slight blotching. I feel crazy Dh says "see look at her. she's fine"...i know I am not giving her anything with peanuts in it for sure
Old 04-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
momgoddesswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think you are over reacting. I would ask to see an allergist so they can do a formal test and in the meantime I would be throwing out ALL of the peanut butter in the house ASAP.

"It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.~John Wooden"
ISO: WCW cuffed longies or bloomers size Small
momgoddesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
momgoddesswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
Now i feel crazy..she is perfectly happy and besides red cheeks she seems fine. She's laughing, playing, no longer rubbing her eyes. I have had kids with a dairy allergy but it was just stomach issues and slight blotching. I feel crazy Dh says "see look at her. she's fine"...i know I am not giving her anything with peanuts in it for sure
Why are you feeling crazy?

She's feeling better now not because she isn't allergic but because you gave her Benadryl and Tylenol and they gave her the rescue shot. The medicine stopped her reaction and did what it was supposed to do.

You did the right thing and shouldn't feel like you over reacted at all.

"It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.~John Wooden"
Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think you're crazy at all. My husband thought I was overreacting CONSTANTLY about the food allergies. I had to, because he never took it seriously until I taught him how to use the Epi-Pen. She had never had a huge reaction until she ate those 2 peanuts. The swollen lips reaction the one time was enough for the doctor to put "anaphylaxis" in her chart.

It can't hurt to go in and get her checked. Our first test was just the back test. She didn't cry or fuss at all. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momgoddesswife View Post
I don't think you are over reacting. I would ask to see an allergist so they can do a formal test and in the meantime I would be throwing out ALL of the peanut butter in the house ASAP.
the dr is making an appointment with an allergist already. We just have to wait to get in. Will everything say PEANUT on it ? or are there words i have to look for like with dairy?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's a good question. It should say "contains peanuts" on the container, but it's wise to read through the entire ingredient list just to make sure. I don't think there is another name. Not in my experience anyway. We make it a point to avoid all nut products, so almond/cashew/pecan/walnut anything is a no-go.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
momgoddesswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
the dr is making an appointment with an allergist already. We just have to wait to get in. Will everything say PEANUT on it ? or are there words i have to look for like with dairy?
Everything should say Peanut. They are more strict now about the peanuts esp. so it should have the warning. I would get rid of anything that has the "May contain peanuts" warning also, it seems like the doctor thought her reaction was pretty severe this morning.

I'm not sure how true it is but I have heard that the more you are exposed to your allergin the worse the reaction becomes, again I am not sure if this has been proven but I wouldn't chance it since her first reaction was not as bad as the second.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
momgoddesswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A peanut isn't actually a nut it's a legume, which is why you can be allergic to peanuts but not nuts. Which is why you hear people say they are allergic to Tree Nuts and/or Peanuts.

I would still avoid nuts though also and just have her tested for them along with the peanuts.

This is a great site for info on food allergies and kids. http://community.kidswithfoodallergies.org/